Your thoughts: Paul Stastny to Toronto?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Not gona Lie, Stastny would be an excellent fit in Toronto.

I've only really heard that his only real drawback is his speed, which could be an issue cuz Kessel is fast as hell and JVR is pretty darn fast too.

I'd still want Kadri as our #1 But I think he could be molded into it in a few years, Stastny as our #1 Would be awesome and a HUGE upgrade over Bozo Bozak.

Plus Stastny is still very very young (27years old), he fits in well with the core of our group, not to mention he has leadership qualities that we need as a young team.

If the price is right, go for it. His value is at an all-time low.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If you're third in PP TOI, you're being given great offensive opportunities. It was clear that the other two centres in front of him were producing much better. I don't see Stast or Weiss as solutions.

What would you suggest, Sidney Crosby?

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
If you're third in PP TOI, you're being given great offensive opportunities. It was clear that the other two centres in front of him were producing much better. I don't see Stast or Weiss as solutions.

It's pretty clear that pp toi isn't the extent of being put in a position to succeed or being given across the board great offensive opportunities.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Stastny is much more of a top line centre than Weiss is.

His lowest total, not counting this shortened season and one early season where he was injured was 53 points. his first four years he had 78 points in 82 games, 71 in 66, 36 in 45 games and 79 in 81 games.

he slowed down the two years after taht with 57 in 74 games and 53 in 79.

but really, Bozak at his best, hasnt even reached 50 points yet. Stastny at his best is a near-elite playmaker whose capable of solid faceoffs and ppg production.

weiss has largely been more of a 50 point guy his entire career, with two 60 point seasons. But really, he's 3 years older and i dont see him hitting PPG like stastny can.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
There is NO way they are prying Gardiner or Rielly from us for Stastny, thats out of the question. Hes a freakin UFA next year at 6.5 mil and he doesnt fit in there they have O'Rielly, Duchene, Hishon, Sgarbosa and Mackinnon on the way. We could probs give them some average young roster talent and a draft pick like Gunner/Frattin and our 2nd rounder.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Stastny is much more of a top line centre than Weiss is.

His lowest total, not counting this shortened season and one early season where he was injured was 53 points. his first four years he had 78 points in 82 games, 71 in 66, 36 in 45 games and 79 in 81 games.

he slowed down the two years after taht with 57 in 74 games and 53 in 79.

but really, Bozak at his best, hasnt even reached 50 points yet. Stastny at his best is a near-elite playmaker whose capable of solid faceoffs and ppg production.

weiss has largely been more of a 50 point guy his entire career, with two 60 point seasons. But really, he's 3 years older and i dont see him hitting PPG like stastny can.

Agreed Stastny is a lot better then Weiss, Stastny is the ideal 1st line center for us, hes not too flashy to steal the spotlight from Kessel but hes an elite playmaker. He would be the best player for us to aqquire this offseason.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
His PP time explains why he was one of his team's leading PP producers. His defensive role at even strength explains why he produced very little there.

Aren't you the advanced stat man? Why not use them now? I don't even know where to get them, but I would bet Stastny leads his team in whatever defensive stats you seem to like.
Yes, he was used most defensively amongst centres (42% offensive zone start). However, how he was utilized wasn't drastically different from Duchene (52%), and both were up against the possession monsters.

Seeing that Phaneuf is being used in a more defensive role and produces 20 points (paced) on the ES, I'd expect a forward to produce 40 points. Take Bergeron, he produced 28 out of his 32 points last season. That would be 55 points, vs 29 points for Stastny in a defensive role.

Don't get me wrong, he's a top six forward, but best utilized on the top scoring line or depth scoring line. I also feel that while the line will perform well in the regular season, it'd be hammered during the playoffs. That being said, we're going to need reliable depth scoring and be within the cap as well.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I would suggest sticking with the current top line. It's cheaper and work on improving on the shut down line. There is a bigger need to shutdown top lines, because we will be going up against Sidney Crosby.

If you want to keep the current line, we have to resign Bozak who's reportedly asking for 5M/year. Do you want to resign Bozak at first line money? If not, then you need a centre - you can try for Weiss as a FA (if he makes it), but then you'd be overpaying for a 30 year old centre. The other option is Stastny which seems ideal at this point, especially if we can get him via. trade - then we have a chance to negotiate a salary instead of bargaining with other teams and overpaying him - but the cost is assets. We're in a rough position either way.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yes, he was used most defensively amongst centres (42% offensive zone start). However, how he was utilized wasn't drastically different from Duchene (52%), and both were up against the possession monsters.

Seeing that Phaneuf is being used in a more defensive role and produces 20 points (paced) on the ES, I'd expect a forward to produce 40 points. Take Bergeron, he produced 28 out of his 32 points last season. That would be 55 points, vs 29 points for Stastny in a defensive role.

Once again, the wingers Stastny plays with are also a significant factor. His goal scoring has remained consistent every season, but his assists have been declining. It's tough to rack up assist totals when your line mates can't convert.

Bergeron did score a lot at even strength, but he gets to play with Marchand and Seguin, both of who outscored him.

Another major factor is Colorado's defense - they are a joke, especially when it comes to moving the puck up ice. This is even more a detriment when a player is starting the majority of his shifts in his own zone.

Don't get me wrong, he's a top six forward, but best utilized on the top scoring line or depth scoring line. I also feel that while the line will perform well in the regular season, it'd be hammered during the playoffs. That being said, we're going to need reliable depth scoring and be within the cap as well.

What makes you say that? Stastny is the kind of player who finds a way to be effective, even when he's not producing. He does all the little things well. Good on face-offs, good defensively, goes to the net, works the corners, etc. The fact that he has the skill and creativity to put up 70-80 points is all a bonus. That's exactly why I want him to play with Kessel.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Rights to Bozak
Phaneuf
For
Stastny
E.Johnson
JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Stastny - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
Broll - McClement - Orr

Gardiner - Johnson
Gunnarsson - Franson
Rielly - Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If you want to keep the current line, we have to resign Bozak who's reportedly asking for 5M/year. Do you want to resign Bozak at first line money? If not, then you need a centre - you can try for Weiss as a FA (if he makes it), but then you'd be overpaying for a 30 year old centre. The other option is Stastny which seems ideal at this point, especially if we can get him via. trade - then we have a chance to negotiate a salary instead of bargaining with other teams and overpaying him - but the cost is assets. We're in a rough position either way.

The Boz issue is that he will likely be looking at 3-4 year deal, and while $4 million is cheap for a top line guy, it is really expensive for a bottom 6 guy. He basically didn't outperform McClement at even strength, even with more icetime and better linemates, and McClement only gets $1.5 million. If they do find the #1 guy, that is a big ugly contract to be dropping into the bottom 6, esp after they will have just moved Grabo's bigger uglier contract out. They won't find many takers in the trade market for a sub 30 point 3rd line guy making $4 milion.

Overpaying him and then dropping him to where he belongs worked fine in a non cap environment, but just becomes bad money to replace the bad money they are finally getting rid of.

I wish they had another year of him to shove him down to that third line spot and see what he could do. I am not saying he would be Jordan Staal but I think there are places in the lineup where he seems like a better fit.

There may be centers other than Stastny who are available in a trade, but these deals always involve giving up something you don't want. Can't wait for draft day to unfold.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Boz issue is that he will likely be looking at 3-4 year deal, and while $4 million is cheap for a top line guy, it is really expensive for a bottom 6 guy. He basically didn't outperform McClement at even strength, even with more icetime and better linemates, and McClement only gets $1.5 million. If they do find the #1 guy, that is a big ugly contract to be dropping into the bottom 6, esp after they will have just moved Grabo's bigger uglier contract out. They won't find many takers in the trade market for a sub 30 point 3rd line guy making $4 milion.

Overpaying him and then dropping him to where he belongs worked fine in a non cap environment, but just becomes bad money to replace the bad money they are finally getting rid of.

I wish they had another year of him to shove him down to that third line spot and see what he could do. I am not saying he would be Jordan Staal but I think there are places in the lineup where he seems like a better fit.

There may be centers other than Stastny who are available in a trade, but these deals always involve giving up something you don't want. Can't wait for draft day to unfold.

I agree in that the Leafs should have played Bozak in the #3 hole where he belongs best to have better leverage in contract talks now..

However due to the weakness up the middle for the Leafs Bozak was asked and force to play above his pay grade.. He is now using that to his advantage when demanding to be paid like a #1 center and more than teammates that provide less.

Its a catch 22 situation created out of necessity.

With Stastny you know what you're getting and has a proven track record as a top 6 center in the NHL.

Number13

May 21, 2007
I agree in that the Leafs should have played Bozak in the #3 hole where he belongs best to have better leverage in contract talks now..

However due to the weakness up the middle for the Leafs Bozak was asked and force to play above his pay grade.. He is now using that to his advantage when demanding to be paid like a #1 center and more than teammates that provide less.

Its a catch 22 situation created out of necessity.

With Stastny you know what you're getting and has a proven track record as a top 6 center in the NHL.

Do you think any other team will pay Bozak 1st line centre money? I guess if even one team would pay him that kind of money, that sets his value.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Rights to Bozak
Phaneuf
For
Stastny
E.Johnson
JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Stastny - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
Broll - McClement - Orr

Gardiner - Johnson
Gunnarsson - Franson
Rielly - Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens

Terrible.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Has anyone ruled out a Grabo / Stastny player swap? The leafs would retain some of the salary because of Grabo contract length. If Bozak gets signed for 4mil then we have

Stastny
Kadri
Bozak
Colburne

as our forwards. If Bozak walks then Colburne goes to 3rd line.

edit: side note, anyone who puts Rielly in next years lineup needs to ****. Not saying he played poorly with the Marlies, but he didn't play like a NHL'er either. He will not be ready next year and I wish there was a way to put him in the AHL.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Some Avs board members are targeting guys like Phaneuf, or Gardiner, or Franson + 1st, etc, for Stastny. lol. They are on some good stuff in Colorado.

Last edited:

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Some Avs board members are targeting guys like Phaneuf, or Gardiner, or Franson + 1st, etc, for Stastny. lol. They are on some good stuff in Colorado.

For whatever reason, Avs fans like to ignore Stastny's contract status and that he's been lackluster the past couple years. He may be worth a lot to the Avs, but it doesn't mean you can expect teams to give up their best (young) players for him. If he had a couple years remaining on his contract and the caphit wasn't as high as it is, I think teams would be more willing to risk giving up a couple good assets.

I'd be pretty pissed if Nonis gave up a core piece of the team for a guy who'll likely walk in a year.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Well, it's legal here in Colorado now, you know. ;)

Let's look at a Stastny-Franson swap. What would you put around it to make it work?

I believe Stastny for Franson + 3rd round pick is a reasonable place for a discussion to start. And we'll also assume that Stastny would agree to an extension in order for Toronto to do the deal.

What say you?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Has anyone ruled out a Grabo / Stastny player swap?

Yes.

The Avs need an NHL defenseman in return for Stastny. Colorado has some reasonable talent up front. The blueline is a disaster. If Stastny is the Avs' best trading chip (and I believe he is), they've got to get blueline help in return.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Well, it's legal here in Colorado now, you know. ;)

Let's look at a Stastny-Franson swap. What would you put around it to make it work?

I believe Stastny for Franson + 3rd round pick is a reasonable place for a discussion to start. And we'll also assume that Stastny would agree to an extension in order for Toronto to do the deal.

What say you?

Possible, but unlikely as they'd probably ask for a Left handed D, someone to play Seth. Personally, I would seriously consider Gunnarsson and Frattin.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Yes.

The Avs need an NHL defenseman in return for Stastny. Colorado has some reasonable talent up front. The blueline is a disaster. If Stastny is the Avs' best trading chip (and I believe he is), they've got to get blueline help in return.

If that's the case, I don't know how interested the Leafs will be. Our blueline isn't exactly a strong point on the team. A lot of people expect Nonis to go after a top-4 defensemen during the off-season.

As for Franson + 3rd for Stastny w/ extension, I'm conflicted only because Franson basically broke out this year and we have almost no defensemen who can play the right side. I'd hope Nonis would go after Weiss in free agency before he considered a deal like this.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
If that's the case, I don't know how interested the Leafs will be. Our blueline isn't exactly a strong point on the team. A lot of people expect Nonis to go after a top-4 defensemen during the off-season.

An entirely fair response, IMO. It may not make sense for the two teams to deal in that case. I don't mind a number of forwards on your team, but Colorado simply isn't desperate for forwards like they are for a defenseman who can actually defend. Quite a concept, I know - but Colorado needs one (or three) really badly.

As for Franson + 3rd for Stastny w/ extension, I'm conflicted only because Franson basically broke out this year and we have almost no defensemen who can play the right side.

But are we in the right value ballpark, in terms of a reasonable exchange of assets?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad