Your thoughts: Paul Stastny to Toronto?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm telling you, if we get Stastny, and you want a True, "Twoway, shutdown line" Role this as the 2nd line:

JVR - Stastny - Kulemin

It would be our version of the Bergeron line and Hossa line.
What I find a bit puzzling is that we still have Grabovski. He was not even given good linemates for the entire season when he was utilized as a shut down forward. I understand that many hate him, but we actually got the playoffs with him in that role.

Furthermore, I don't think that Kulemin is going to be utilized as a shut down forward either. He is up for a new contract and was being used as a offensive guy on Kadri's line. Yes, he'll receive time on the PK, but many offensive forwards do.

I think if we acquire Stastny, we could see shut down duties shared between Grabs/ Stast much like Datsyuk/ Zetterberg. We see that happening with Handzus and Toews as well. It may be a good idea to move around lines like Chicago, because Boston is finding it very difficult to neutralize their scoring.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
What I find a bit puzzling is that we still have Grabovski. He was not even given good linemates for the entire season when he was utilized as a shut down forward. I understand that many hate him, but we actually got the playoffs with him in that role.

Furthermore, I don't think that Kulemin is going to be utilized as a shut down forward either. He is up for a new contract and was being used as a offensive guy on Kadri's line. Yes, he'll receive time on the PK, but many offensive forwards do.

I think if we acquire Stastny, we could see shut down duties shared between Grabs/ Stast much like Datsyuk/ Zetterberg. We see that happening with Handzus and Toews as well. It may be a good idea to move around lines like Chicago, because Boston is finding it very difficult to neutralize their scoring.
If the Leafs get Clarkson, Kulemin will most definitely be used in a shut down role.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
It only makes sense. They aren't going acquire Clarkson for big money and use him on the 3rd line and Kulemin isn't bumping Kessel, Lupul or JVR from the top 4.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If the Leafs get Clarkson, Kulemin will most definitely be used in a shut down role.

Kulemin is considered Leafs best 2-way forward and was praised by Nonis as the teams unsung hero for his efforts and 200 foot game.

The addition of Clarkson would be about adding size and grit among Leafs rather small and soft top 6 currently.

So that makes perfect sense that Clarkson would bump Kulemin into a 3rd line role where he has shown to be able to excel in the past.

Carlyle likes his 3rd line to be a checking\shutdown line as it was in Anaheim when they won the cup.

Stastny is not a physical player either but an upgrade to leafs center and top six group.

TML91

Jul 24, 2010
I think Colorado is stupid for not picking Seth Jones, don't get me wrong Mackinnon is a unreal player but they need Jones more than they need NM. They are still loaded down the middle even without NM. I feel that they do draft NM he will start on the wing. I think eventually RO will be traded bc he seemed he didn't want to come back.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Kulemin is considered Leafs best 2-way forward and was praised by Nonis as the teams unsung hero for his efforts and 200 foot game.

The addition of Clarkson would be about adding size and grit among Leafs rather small and soft top 6 currently.

So that makes perfect sense that Clarkson would bump Kulemin into a 3rd line role where he has shown to be able to excel in the past.

Carlyle likes his 3rd line to be a checking\shutdown line as it was in Anaheim when they won the cup.

Stastny is not a physical player either but an upgrade to leafs center and top six group.
The third line would really be up in the air. If Grabbo stays and we pick up Bernier, there's no way MacA could fit in under the cap. Frattin would be the obvious choice but from everything that we hear, he would be going to LA.
How about Kulemin Grabbo Ashton

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think Colorado is stupid for not picking Seth Jones, don't get me wrong Mackinnon is a unreal player but they need Jones more than they need NM. They are still loaded down the middle even without NM. I feel that they do draft NM he will start on the wing. I think eventually RO will be traded bc he seemed he didn't want to come back.

They may consider Jones to be Jaybo 2.0, and they may be right. The four top prospects all look like studs but as with most drafts, a couple will just not convert it to the pros. If Jones turns out to be a black Larry Robinson (and he is way more advanced at the same age) then they screwed up, but if he isn't, and the next St Louis and Sakic are still on the board then they look like geniuses.

They need a player like Jones might become, more than like Mackinnon, but not if Jones isn't the real deal. Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, and Bouwmeester all looked like safe picks for stardom (well maybe not JJ). Jones isn't immune to being less than his hype, and it wouldn't take a generational talent to bump Duchene as #1 c.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Carlyle likes his 3rd line to be a checking\shutdown line as it was in Anaheim when they won the cup. Stastny is not a physical player either but an upgrade to leafs center and top six group.

Wasn't he running with Pahlsson and Neidermayer though? McClement looks exactly like one of these sort of guys, but not Grabo, Stastny, or Weiss. If RC truly wants to replicate the Ducks isn't he more likely to want a cheap checking center in the #3 spot, and save his budget for marquee top 6 guys? Not every forward has the capacity to become a Toews or a Bergeron.

I maintain Grabovski was just put in the role he was, because of happenstance. Kadri needed sheltered minutes and they weren't going to shift Bozak around in the last year of his contract when they are still trying to decide what kind of a player he is. They guessed, incorrectly, that MG's game was enough that he could score with scrub linemates while linematched against top opposition. His 3pts in 24 home games emphatically says otherwise. Maybe they hoped he had some Bergeron in him, or maybe it was only ever meant to be for the one season. In light of Carlyle's reasons for using Kadri and Bozak being different next year, I predict changes. If Clarkson, then almost certainly with Kadri, as he would be able to be more of an abrasive type with someone riding shotgun. Kule's offense seems to warrant a bottom 6 role full time.

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Remember what Grabovski went through this season? Being relegated to the 3rd line with inferior linemates? This is what Stastny has gone through the past two seasons.

Put him in between Kessel and Lupul and I guarantee he's a minimum 70 point centre.
`

This is the garbage Colorado fan wants everyone to believe. It's just not true. What is true, is his production has gone down and with that contract, he'd be the most hated player in TO within two weeks.

Ever since the trade with Stl when Stewart left, Stastny has become a player who disappears in major stretches. He's played with Landeskog plenty. ROR missed most the season and he still receives plenty of PP time.

He's been nowhere near relegated to what we would call a real 3rd liner.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
Stastny and Kessel would be dynamic together. And people are overrating his contract. Hes a UFA next season so 6.6 for 1 year is not a big deal. If he can come for a reasonable price, get it done. 3x 70+ point player here at 27 years old.......We aren't talking about some scrub here we are talking about a proven top 6 nhl centre.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Stastny and Kessel would be dynamic together. And people are overrating his contract. Hes a UFA next season so 6.6 for 1 year is not a nig deal. If he can come for a reasonable price, get it done. 3x 70+ point player here at 27 years old.......We aren't talking about some scrub here we are talking about a proven top 6 nhl centre.

This

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
They may consider Jones to be Jaybo 2.0, and they may be right. The four top prospects all look like studs but as with most drafts, a couple will just not convert it to the pros. If Jones turns out to be a black Larry Robinson (and he is way more advanced at the same age) then they screwed up, but if he isn't, and the next St Louis and Sakic are still on the board then they look like geniuses.

They need a player like Jones might become, more than like Mackinnon, but not if Jones isn't the real deal. Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, and Bouwmeester all looked like safe picks for stardom (well maybe not JJ). Jones isn't immune to being less than his hype, and it wouldn't take a generational talent to bump Duchene as #1 c.

Or you know, a Larry Robinson.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
`

This is the garbage Colorado fan wants everyone to believe. It's just not true. What is true, is his production has gone down and with that contract, he'd be the most hated player in TO within two weeks.

Ever since the trade with Stl when Stewart left, Stastny has become a player who disappears in major stretches. He's played with Landeskog plenty. ROR missed most the season and he still receives plenty of PP time.

Stastny actually never got to play with the productive Landeskog at all. Only this last season and Landy had a brutal year. His main partner has been David Jones for years with a bit of Hejduk and Jamie McGinn. He seemed to work well with Stewart but has never had really talented linemates. If you look at his best seasons he always outscored his wingers, but was also always the undisputed top line guy, rather than 1b like the last couple of years. It's tough to avoid slumps where you are playing with sub 40 point wingers and a D that can't move the puck.

Rather than call him a 3rd liner, he has rather been one of three first line centers, on a club that has no wingers. In 10-11 his top winger Jones had 45 points. In 11-12 it was Jones again, but only 37 points. In 12-13 it was Jones, 22pt pace, or McGinn 38pt pace, or Landy 28pt pace. They split the pp time three ways.

His lessening production, albeit with worse linemates than Grabovski has had, is a concern, but that is more a reason to not offer too much, rather than not even inquire. Fans don't determine the trade value, and the reality is that most of the time the home town thinks a lot more of a player than the marketplace will ever offer. Nobody is giving up a 1st round pic for Stastny when they can sign a more productive Ribeiro and give up nothing, unless it is a playoff rental, but maybe not even then if he doesn't ramp up his game. Stumbling through another 48pt season isn't going to make him look like anyone's playoff solution.

I have always liked him but there is an obvious element of risk. Even if he is physically fine, he may have forgotten how to be a #1 center. He will outscore Boz of course, but that is setting the bar pretty low, and his future contract expectations might be a deal breaker.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
According to the self-centered Avs fans, a Stastny trade would involve Franson + :laugh:

In that case, its better to wait out a year and trade a pick for his negotiation rights when hes a UFA.

Best Case Scenario for the leafs getting Stastny:
-Colorado drafts Nathan Mackinnon
-Stastny has a horrible year stats wise
-ROR, Duchene/Mackinnon take Stastny spot and he becomes a #3C
-Colorado misses the playoffs

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Right now the "set" pieces going forward....

JvR - ______ - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - _____
Kulemin - McClement - ______
______ - __________ - Orr

I think Bozak and MacA could both easily walk. Komarov looks like he'll be walking away as well.

I would love to see the Leaf's sign Boyd Gordon, 4 years @ 1.5 million. Love him, and I think that's what it will take cause a lot of team will be after him.

I think Colborne deserves a chance, and I think this year will be his break out year, start him on 3rd or such, and let him work his way up.

Clutterbuck is being shopped, perfect replacement for Komarov on the 3rd line.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Stastny actually never got to play with the productive Landeskog at all. Only this last season and Landy had a brutal year. His main partner has been David Jones for years with a bit of Hejduk and Jamie McGinn. He seemed to work well with Stewart but has never had really talented linemates. If you look at his best seasons he always outscored his wingers, but was also always the undisputed top line guy, rather than 1b like the last couple of years. It's tough to avoid slumps where you are playing with sub 40 point wingers and a D that can't move the puck.

Rather than call him a 3rd liner, he has rather been one of three first line centers, on a club that has no wingers. In 10-11 his top winger Jones had 45 points. In 11-12 it was Jones again, but only 37 points. In 12-13 it was Jones, 22pt pace, or McGinn 38pt pace, or Landy 28pt pace. They split the pp time three ways.

His lessening production, albeit with worse linemates than Grabovski has had, is a concern, but that is more a reason to not offer too much, rather than not even inquire. Fans don't determine the trade value, and the reality is that most of the time the home town thinks a lot more of a player than the marketplace will ever offer. Nobody is giving up a 1st round pic for Stastny when they can sign a more productive Ribeiro and give up nothing, unless it is a playoff rental, but maybe not even then if he doesn't ramp up his game. Stumbling through another 48pt season isn't going to make him look like anyone's playoff solution.

I have always liked him but there is an obvious element of risk. Even if he is physically fine, he may have forgotten how to be a #1 center. He will outscore Boz of course, but that is setting the bar pretty low, and his future contract expectations might be a deal breaker.

If the Leafs have an extra $6.5 laying around, it's worth a go. Just not for the price of anything significant.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Right now the "set" pieces going forward....

JvR - ______ - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - _____
Kulemin - McClement - ______
______ - __________ - Orr

I think Bozak and MacA could both easily walk. Komarov looks like he'll be walking away as well.

I would love to see the Leaf's sign Boyd Gordon, 4 years @ 1.5 million. Love him, and I think that's what it will take cause a lot of team will be after him.

I think Colborne deserves a chance, and I think this year will be his break out year, start him on 3rd or such, and let him work his way up.

Clutterbuck is being shopped, perfect replacement for Komarov on the 3rd line.

Perfect checking line: Kulemin - McClement - Clutterbuck

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Couldn't agree more. Then add Clarkson through free agency

VanRiemsdyk - ________ - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - McClement - Clutterbuck
______ - ________ - Orr

Clutterbuck + Clarkson and a rematch against the Bruins.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
`

He's played with Landeskog about a dozen games.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Kulemin hasn't excelled in the third line role. We need to differentiate his play short handed, which is quite different going against top lines even strength. Nobody wants to be treating these sessions as an extended power play for our opponent top line, because we WILL eventually forfeit a goal.

The aim of the shut down unit is to not just slow down the top line, but keep the possession monsters tied in their own zone. That role is actually a very offensive line considering that the Duck's shut down unit produced similar number as the top line. It was clear the Ducks weren't the same when their 'third line' wasn't performing as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad