Your thoughts: Paul Stastny to Toronto?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
With the news I heard today via Sportsnet, Colorado's VP said they will not be picking Seth Jones first overall. I think it's safe to say that they will be taking Nathan Mackinnon, that puts Stastny as basically their fourth line centre (behind O'Rielly, Duchene, Mackinnon), and since his father spoke out about the organization, I don't see him returning there..

As a Leafs fan, do you trade for him assuming we don't give up much? And all those who say he's washed up or what not, I believe it's because they have him playing almost third line, in the 2013 World Championships he led USA to bronze as Captain and a team leading 15 points (7G 8A) in 10 games.

He's 27 with an expiring contract making him a UFA, so he doesn't keep that terrible cap hit if he has a bad season. As a Leafs fan, do you trade for him and do you want him?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joe-sakic-says-colorado-avalanche-will-likely-pick-forward-first-overall-at-the-2013-nhl-draft-instead-of-seth-jones/

Last edited:

Number13

May 21, 2007
I do it if he comes cheap. It's a tough trade to gauge, Colorado is gonig to try to sell that he has more value than re really does. They're not in a strong position to bargain.

I'd give em rights to Bozak to be Colorado's 4C. Bozak would sign in Colorado I believe, he played his college hockey there and visits still. Throw in a mid level prospect or a mid round pick to seal the deal? I don't know if that's undervaluing him, but with that big cap hit coupled with his declining stats and a lowering salary cap, his value can't be much higher can it?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I can't really answer in the poll.

Sure I'd like him, but at what price? If the cost is Gardiner or Reilly, then no, I'd rather someone else. All depends on what the Avs would consider a fair price.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I can't really answer in the poll.

Sure I'd like him, but at what price? If the cost is Gardiner or Reilly, then no, I'd rather someone else. All depends on what the Avs would consider a fair price.

If they draft Mackinnon, he's almost certainly going to be a FA next summer, unless Colorado's going to pay him first line, or at least second line money to stay, which is doubtful. Given the circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded at the draft, I wouldn't give anything more than a 3rd, and a mid-level prospect, and that's at most - he's almost certainly a FA, it's almost the equivalent of trading for his rights, definitely not Gardiner or Rielly, with that cap hit & playing that role in Colorado - in a declining cap, they're not really in a position to bargain.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Would love to have Stastny. He's been on my #1C candidate radar for quite some time now.

He's trapped behind Duchene and O'Reilly on the Colorado center depth chart. For a team with an internal cap and with him on an expiring $6.6M contract, I feel the writing is on the wall that he will not be back by in an Avs uniform in 2014-15. In all likelihood, they will look to trade him.

Stastny's 4 most frequent wingers at even strength this season were Gabriel Landeskog (on a down year), Jamie McGinn, David Jones and Aaron Palushaj. That's just desperate when he could be playing with Phil Kessel, Joffrey Lupul and James van Riemsdyk. This is a playmaking center who has eclipsed 70 points three times in his career with good linemates. He thrilled at the most recent World Championships with 15 points in 10 games. Put him in a situation to succeed and he will.

If the price is reasonable, I feel it's worth paying. Just nothing too over the top, since he is technically a rental. Perhaps we could speak to his people about the framework for an extension before consummating a trade.

Last edited:

Disgruntled Observer*

I don't think that Stastny is a legitimate 1st line center... but he's an upgrade of legendary proportions compared to ahl caliber Bozak.

Sign him.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I want someone else.

Just not sold on him fitting in. I'm not sure he's worth his cap hit. Is he a true first line centre?

If Nonis does acquire him, I hope it's cheap, otherwise, I see this as a possible mistake down the road.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I want someone else.

Just not sold on him fitting in. I'm not sure he's worth his cap hit. Is he a true first line centre?

If Nonis does acquire him, I hope it's cheap, otherwise, I see this as a possible mistake down the road.

Getting Bozak off the team and bringing in Statsny can't be a mistake

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He would cost quite a bit via trade, and we would still be looking for an upgrade at centre the VERY next day.

Stastny-Kadri... it's a HUGE upgrade over what we've had in previous years, but it's NOT SC calibre top 6 centre depth.

Kopitar-Richards
Bergeron-Krejci
Toews-Sharp
Crosby-Malkin
Datsyuk-Zetterberg
McDonald-Getzlaf
Staal-Brind'Amour
etc

It simply doesn't compare to these duos. Offensively, it might compare to Bergeron/Krejci, but that duo is a huge upgrade over Stastny-Kadri defensively.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He would cost quite a bit via trade, and we would still be looking for an upgrade at centre the VERY next day.

Stastny-Kadri... it's a HUGE upgrade over what we've had in previous years, but it's NOT SC calibre top 6 centre depth.

Kopitar-Richards
Bergeron-Krejci
Toews-Sharp
Crosby-Malkin
Datsyuk-Zetterberg
McDonald-Getzlaf
Staal-Brind'Amour
etc

It simply doesn't compare to these duos. Offensively, it might compare to Bergeron/Krejci, but that duo is a huge upgrade over Stastny-Kadri defensively.

The only thing we really have on most of those teams is our wing depth...which I've never heard of as a strategy to winning the cup but it's something. Need to hope one of our D prospects develops into a stud.

It's not a SC contender in terms of centres however it might work for now, plus if Stastny played with our wingers he could be 70-80 guy for all we know.

As for if I want Stastny...I do quite a bit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Kopitar-Richards
Bergeron-Krejci
Toews-Sharp
Crosby-Malkin
Datsyuk-Zetterberg
McDonald-Getzlaf
Staal-Brind'Amour
etc

You gotta factor in winger depth

Lupul Statsny Kessel

JVR Kadri Kuelmin

Pretty damn solid top 6 even if Kuelmin is a little miscast

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Kopitar-Richards
Bergeron-Krejci
Toews-Sharp
Crosby-Malkin
Datsyuk-Zetterberg
McDonald-Getzlaf
Staal-Brind'Amour
etc

u couldnt get zetterberg or datsyuk straight up for kessel .....everyone of those duos are better than kessel.....so if datsyuk took 7,1 per year extension ......kessel should be at 6,5 .....so i think the leafs dilemma is pretty much defined .....if kessel isnt extended by the draft......could be a rough year

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
I bet they are taking Drouin actually. The difference between him and Mac is small enough that you could really choose between them based on need. A top line of Landeskog - Duchene - Drouin would be easily one of the league's best in a few years.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I want someone else.

Remember what Grabovski went through this season? Being relegated to the 3rd line with inferior linemates? This is what Stastny has gone through the past two seasons.

Put him in between Kessel and Lupul and I guarantee he's a minimum 70 point centre.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

Kopitar-Richards
Bergeron-Krejci
Toews-Sharp
Crosby-Malkin
Datsyuk-Zetterberg
McDonald-Getzlaf
Staal-Brind'Amour
etc

just sayin McDonald-Getzlaf weren't the same players they are now.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
So you want to give up assets to acquire a guy that will be our highest paid player at $6.6 million/year and have him potentially exit as a UFA after 1 season.
Coming off 24 points in 40 games.
and 53 and 57 point seasons.
REALLY!!!!
I say he is a amnesty candidate at those $$$

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
i think the are taking Drouin as well, if im not mistaken, i believe Roy has a history with him in the Q.

If the price is right for stastny you make that deal all day. But that means the leafs have to move out grabovski and talk bozak into taking 3rd line money, because that is where he belongs.

If florida loses weiss, they may be candidate to take on Grabo

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
I'd love to have Stastny, he's IMO a very underrated centre. Plays a smart, solid, 2 way game which I think would mesh well with Kessel.

I wouldn't want to pay a high value, but something around Colborne and maybe Gunnarson would be just fine with me.

edit: I'd move Grabo in this scenario and retain Bozak for 2nd or 3rd line duties.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
They are going to take Drouin, so it's not going to happen.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The only thing we really have on most of those teams is our wing depth...which I've never heard of as a strategy to winning the cup but it's something. Need to hope one of our D prospects develops into a stud.

It's not a SC contender in terms of centres however it might work for now, plus if Stastny played with our wingers he could be 70-80 guy for all we know.

As for if I want Stastny...I do quite a bit.

You gotta factor in winger depth

Lupul Statsny Kessel

JVR Kadri Kuelmin

Pretty damn solid top 6 even if Kuelmin is a little miscast

Don't disagree. We have good wing depth.

I just think that if we're going to trade quality assets for a centre, it better be one that we really think solidifies the centre position to the point of SC contention. Getting Stastny realistically means Gardiner, or a piece equally valuable going the other way, while still (IMO) leaving us with a lot of wishful thinking down the middle.

Personally I would prefer to trade up in the draft to grab one of the potential elite two-way centres. Guys who project as having similar offence to Stastny (~60ish pt guys), but who also bring elite defensive play.

It would be cheaper to trade up to get one of those guys than it would be to trade for Stastny, and while it's less of a guarantee, I think it at least addresses our team need significantly more. Not to mention salary-wise it would make a lot of sense as well.

Shortterm, I think signing Weiss as a UFA is a MUCH better alternative to trading for Stastny. I think Stastny is better, but not much better. And we wouldn't have to give up any assets.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
just sayin McDonald-Getzlaf weren't the same players they are now.

Well yea. McDonald was a PPG centre at the time. And Getzlaf was a developing youngster, but he was on the verge of breaking out, was already putting up top 6 numbers, and brought a dominating physical presence that neither Kadri or Stastny have. So while Getzlaf wasn't as dominating as he is today, McDonald was MUCH better before his injuries derailed his career somewhat.

I'd take 2007 McDonald/Getzlaf over present-day Stastny/Kadri. Not to mention, that team had Niedermayer/Pronger, which we don't have.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Stastny has just 9 more points than Grabovski the last 3 seasons and we have guys saying lets buy out Grabovski.
Stastny gets more PP time and better scoring wingers, makes $1 million more per season and requires assets to acquire.
NO THANKS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad