Your thoughts: Paul Stastny to Toronto?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Thanks.

So he's in his last year? Sounds good to me at the right price, certainly worth the risk.

Agreed.

Top line centres performing coming off multiple strong seasons and on a good contract usually don't get moved. Statsny is young-ish, has produced like a top line centre in the past and seems to be available for a decent cost.

If he can re-gain his form playing with top wingers like Kessel, Lupul or JVR we could have a pretty strong top line.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would love to have Stasny, Kadri, Bozak, McClement for the four lines. That's a solid 4 centres!

Think Stastny would be a great 2C, but he is simply not the dominant 1C that will define a franchise. Sure he would be a great short term player, but not the future of this team. If we get a discount price price, I wouldn't be opposed, otherwise, pass.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
nobody is going to give you a franchise type centre. only way we get a guy like that is through free agency (nobody available this year, and very unlikely really at any point), or through the draft.

for now the best you can hope for is a B level centre

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Think Stastny would be a great 2C, but he is simply not the dominant 1C that will define a franchise. Sure he would be a great short term player, but not the future of this team. If we get a discount price price, I wouldn't be opposed, otherwise, pass.

We don't need him to define our franchise.

We have Kessel, Lupul, JVR, and eventually Kadri to do that.

Down the line I'm quite certain that Naz will be our 1C, seeing as how he was top 10 in scoring for the majority of the season in his (more or less) first year. He's only going to get better as he gets stronger.

Add Stastny, Clarkson, Clutterbuck, and Bernier.
Draft Gauthier or Burakovsky.

Subtract Frattin, Liles... and whoever else.

2013-2014 our team will probably look like this:

JVR - Stastny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Bozak/Colborne - Clutterbuck
Orr - McClement - D'Amigo/Ashton

Dion - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Fraser - Ranger (or something of this sort)

Reimer
Bernier

------------
Eventually you have Biggs, Rielly graduate as well. Our defence looks weak, but it will fix itself over time given our defensive prospect depth (Rielly, Finn, and Percy are actually not THAT far off).

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think he needs to be either on the top line or sheltered. He failed to perform well against top competition even though Duchene was able to at a nearly PPG rate.

My only issue with Stastny is that Kessel is probably a lot better off a PWF centre (or at least big C) to compliment JVR. It's not like we have a "depth scoring line" ( more like a top one during their cup win) with three power forwards (i.e. Penner - Getzlaf - Perry). Depending on a smallish peripheral line with just one big winger is probably not a good idea.

Even a strong two-way shut down-capable centre like Giroux needs to be surrounded by larger two way forwards. That is going to be much more obvious when you have a less physical player like Kessel on the top line. JVR doesn't play like Voracek either so we really need that large centre.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
No I totally agree we don't need him to define the franchise, my point was I don't think we need to be paying a premium for a guy that will not be that kind of player. So if we can get him without being a cap burden, I think it could work.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think he needs to be either on the top line or sheltered. He failed to perform well against top competition even though Duchene was able to at a nearly PPG rate.

How has he failed to perform? He has been used in a defensive role and been flanked by weak wingers, so a 50-point pace is hardly a failure.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

My only issue with Stastny is that Kessel is probably a lot better off a PWF centre (or at least big C) to compliment JVR. It's not like we have a "depth scoring line" ( more like a top one during their cup win) with three power forwards (i.e. Penner - Getzlaf - Perry). Depending on a smallish peripheral line with just one big winger is probably not a good idea.

Even a strong two-way shut down-capable centre like Giroux needs to be surrounded by larger two way forwards. That is going to be much more obvious when you have a less physical player like Kessel on the top line. JVR doesn't play like Voracek either so we really need that large centre.

Oh look at the big player in Marc Savard that was blowing through players with his massive frame and feeding him pucks back then. :)

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Face it guys, we are not getting a pure #1 Centre on our top line, unless by chance we draft one randomly, or Kadri steps up immensly or we make some kind of massive trade.

but really, what #1 C is available for a trade right now?

Stastny is the definition of a huge upgrade over bozak, has had multiple PPG or near PPG years, good at faceoffs(51-54%), he is essentially a #1B kind of centre. If Kadri steps up too you essentially have the boston like model with two 1b guys, although we have no bergeron selke candidate top centres but our wing depth is fantastic.

I want him at a good price, I think a fresh start for him would be great.

low end deal, something like a 2nd+prospect or something.

hockeyfanz*

I would love to have Stasny, Kadri, Bozak, McClement for the four lines. That's a solid 4 centres!

no its not although 3 of the 4 would be good. Bozak wont accept 3rd line money IMO although thats all he deserves.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
How has he failed to perform? He has been used in a defensive role and been flanked by weak wingers, so a 50-point pace is hardly a failure.
So has Duchene. They were used very similarly, in fact. Matt was suffering from an injury as well. More so, Stastny had virtually identical PP TOI as Duchene as well as SH TOI.

We're seriously overrating Stastny here. If we acquire him, I'd rather have him on separate lines with Kessel. Even the Sedin line and the Spezza line needs a power forward. Teams nowadays have very capable shut down lines and Stastny will certainly have to be on the sheltered scoring line.

Bozak/ Big C ( top scoring)
Kadri ( shut down C)
Stastny (depth scoring)

Oh look at the big player in Marc Savard that was blowing through players with his massive frame and feeding him pucks back then. :)
Did Boston win the cup that year? Besides, Boston had a pretty productive Krecji line and that dangerous Bergeron shut down line. Even Krecji benefits greatly being around bigger forwards.

That said, that Bergeron line is extremely important. If that line doesn't perform against the top lines, Boston would have not been able to win a Stanley Cup. That line was able to neutralize the top scoring line on the Penguins.

Face it guys, we are not getting a pure #1 Centre on our top line, unless by chance we draft one randomly, or Kadri steps up immensly or we make some kind of massive trade.

but really, what #1 C is available for a trade right now?

Stastny is the definition of a huge upgrade over bozak, has had multiple PPG or near PPG years, good at faceoffs(51-54%), he is essentially a #1B kind of centre. If Kadri steps up too you essentially have the boston like model with two 1b guys, although we have no bergeron selke candidate top centres but our wing depth is fantastic.

I want him at a good price, I think a fresh start for him would be great.

low end deal, something like a 2nd+prospect or something.
Was there even a problem with our first line this playoffs? I'd just sign Bozak for $4 million, and emulate the Bergeron/ Zetterberg line.

[Added Later]

Kessel was severely underutilized on Boston. He made a smart decision leaving and becoming the conductor on his line. When he was drafted, he was compared to Crosby due to his intelligence, vision ( esp ability to find open passing/ scoring lines), and his ability to make others around him better. To view him as just a sniper is outright ridiculous especially when our first line had excellent performance during playoffs.

Last edited:

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Stastny is a good centre and there are reasonable roadblocks on Colorado that really do hinder his ability to play to his potential and sustain or improve upon some of his past numbers. On a team with real offensive talent, a good system and a big hole in the top 6 to fill I can see him revitalizing his career. He's still a great player.

There is no doubt that he is a significant upgrade over Bozak. That being said, to get him from Colorado you are going to have to offer a hell of a lot more than Bozak and scraps. Dude has value and there are certainly teams that will pay up for his services.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Stastny is a good centre and there are reasonable roadblocks on Colorado that really do hinder his ability to play to his potential and sustain or improve upon some of his past numbers. On a team with real offensive talent, a good system and a big hole in the top 6 to fill I can see him revitalizing his career. He's still a great player.

There is no doubt that he is a significant upgrade over Bozak. That being said, to get him from Colorado you are going to have to offer a hell of a lot more than Bozak and scraps. Dude has value and there are certainly teams that will pay up for his services.
The guy was nearly had the second highest PP TOI. We need to be consistent here. Phaneuf produced ~20 points in an extremely defensive role, and yet many tie his points to his PP minutes. I think if we take the offensive route of Pittsburgh this season, we'll need someone like Crosby/ Malkin...

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
The guy was nearly had the second highest PP TOI. We need to be consistent here. Phaneuf produced ~20 points in an extremely defensive role, and yet many tie his points to his PP minutes. I think if we take the offensive route of Pittsburgh this season, we'll need someone like Crosby/ Malkin...
As if pp TOI determines the extent of a players ability, worth, and role utilized in.

Schennsation

Show goes on
Oct 8, 2008
Sudbury Ontario
We don't need him to define our franchise.

We have Kessel, Lupul, JVR, and eventually Kadri to do that.

Down the line I'm quite certain that Naz will be our 1C, seeing as how he was top 10 in scoring for the majority of the season in his (more or less) first year. He's only going to get better as he gets stronger.

Add Stastny, Clarkson, Clutterbuck, and Bernier.
Draft Gauthier or Burakovsky.

2013-2014 our team will probably look like this:

JVR - Stastny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Bozak/Colborne - Clutterbuck
Orr - McClement - D'Amigo/Ashton

Dion - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Fraser - Ranger (or something of this sort)

Reimer
Bernier

------------
Eventually you have Biggs, Rielly graduate as well. Our defence looks weak, but it will fix itself over time given our defensive prospect depth (Rielly, Finn, and Percy are actually not THAT far off).

Solid lineup this is my dream lineup coming outta the offseason

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

Kessel has now had back to back PPG seasons with bozak as his center, although a big power forward center may be best, I'm perfectly fine with a player better than bozak instead :P I do honestly wonder how Kessel would perform with a better center not only 5v5 but on the powerplay as well.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I am not so sure about that. Whoever said that third in PP TOI isn't offensive utilization needs to review the games. Stastny in those PP situation isn't playing with defensive scrubs.

His PP time explains why he was one of his team's leading PP producers. His defensive role at even strength explains why he produced very little there.

Aren't you the advanced stat man? Why not use them now? I don't even know where to get them, but I would bet Stastny leads his team in whatever defensive stats you seem to like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad