Your thoughts on Bogosian not dropping the gloves with Tkachuk

Should Bogosian of dropped the gloves with Tkachuk??

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marchand, Gallagher, Tkackuk are fully aware of who they are and how their rattiness is effective. They want to draw PIM's they want to push the boundaries, they crave the anger of the other team...
Exactly. As a fan I enjoy that part of the game, especially when it’s good players doing it. There are ways to address it on the ice that don’t include maiming another player.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Marchand, Gallagher, Tkackuk are fully aware of who they are and how their rattiness is effective. They want to draw PIM's they want to push the boundaries, they crave the anger of the other team...
True, maybe the self-awareness is there. But, given his history, he isn't functioning very high on the ability to think abstractly and to feel empathy. Sadly, you have to use old-fashioned behavioural techniques with these types because, like animals, they can't use their forebrains to regulate their behaviour. Immediate, consistent, and intense punishment!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This guy is also admitting that the knee thing is a classic Tkachuk move. Basically giving us evidence that this was not an innocent play.

I'm sorry, I'm with the barbarians on this one. No "turn the other cheek" for this. Fight fire with fire. Annihilate him.

There are human beings on our planet who are empty vacuums; missing a forebrain. They lack self-awareness and empathy. They are best dealt with through classical behavioural techniques....not with logic and reason. A human like Tkachuk requires immediate, consistent, and intense punishment to modify his behaviour. Like the way you would train a rat to properly go through a maze to obtain cheese.
Haha too funny, I’m with you Leafer. We have 8 more and we are The Leafs. If anything happens now we come out of it on the wrong side. I’m fine with laying the body on him hard and playing him really hard in net front and p!ssing him off enough to take some penalties. If we pinpoint him and wipe him out every time starting tonight his team will take retaliation penalties possibly. Torcher him as much or more than he will torcher us works.
Trying putting him on his arse every time he is in the paint works too. Best of all is start all our stuff when leading well. I don’t even care about him really. More interested in scoring and rubbing it in to him. We should be able to win again tonight and that all i want. Then off to Edmonton and try getting the best of them.
If Simmonds beats the smirk off of him I’m good too :)

Reactions: slozo and Stigma

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
Haha too funny, I’m with you Leafer. We have 8 more and we are The Leafs. If anything happens now we come out of it on the wrong side. I’m fine with laying the body on him hard and playing him really hard in net front and p!ssing him off enough to take some penalties. If we pinpoint him and wipe him out every time starting tonight his team will take retaliation penalties possibly. Torcher him as much or more than he will torcher us works.
Trying putting him on his arse every time he is in the paint works too. Best of all is start all our stuff when leading well. I don’t even care about him really. More interested in scoring and rubbing it in to him. We should be able to win again tonight and that all i want. Then off to Edmonton and try getting the best of them.
If Simmonds beats the smirk off of him I’m good too :)

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
"Torcher" him as much or more than he will torcher us works. Do you mean Torture?

Anyway, its the new age of social media. It will be discussed across the various media sources. What this calls for is Jake Muzzin's first big bone rattlin' hit of the year....

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The NHL DoPS is the most chickenpoop organization as there is in pro sport. There is a real and palpable paralysis in that office and has been ever since they gave McSorley the 35(?) game suspension, the fear of union retribution is strong, I mean what's going to happen?.... the players go on strike because the NHL is trying to protect it's players? Hardly makes sense does it?

The union is supposed to represent all players and protect them from the machinations and chicanery of the league, shouldn't it follow that they should also try to protect them from needless injury caused by players "accidently on purpose" falling on goaltenders heads with both knees first(but but, concussions? what friggin concussions?) or over zealous cross checks to the lower backs of defenseless forwards? The crosscheck thing is almost laughable when laments such as this have popped up in the last couple of weeks!
Why Can't the NHL Purge Itself of Crosschecking?
There seems to be this notion outside The Center of the Hockey Universe™ that when the Toronto Maple Leafs act as the squeaky wheel, the NHL is only too happy to apply the grease. Despite the fact that the league actually rents office space in the Scotiabank Arena building, it’s a ridiculous notion. If the league were so enmeshed with the Leafs, the franchise would not have gone more than 50 years without winning a Stanley Cup and Wayne Gretzky would have been called for highsticking on Doug Gilmour in 1993, the last time the Maple Leafs truly almost came close to winning something.

(The one very notable exception to this rule is in the fact that the NHL remains the only professional league in the world to have one franchise operating in its most fertile market. Despite the occasional entreaties, the Maple Leafs have the largest hockey market in the world all to themselves, something that gives those plucky underdogs a puncher’s chance of competing.)

But if the league’s head office wants to pick up the torch on crosschecking after the Maple Leafs complained about it following their season opener against the Montreal Canadiens, we’d be more than happy to live with that. Apparently, crosschecking in the NHL was not a problem until Maple Leafs star Auston Matthews took some carbon fiber to the ribs courtesy Canadiens defenseman Shea Weber Wednesday night. It became a talking point when the Leafs used their massive platform to advocate for change the next day, essentially requesting the league show some consistency on the issue.
Well, we hate to break it to you all, but crosschecking was epidemic in the NHL long before the opening night of the 2020-21 season. Anyone who has watched any amount of NHL hockey for, say, the past five seasons, would be able to tell you that. It continues to boggle the mind that a forward goes to the front of the net, and in clear view of a referee who has presumable read the NHL rulebook once in a while, has to endure multiple crosschecks to the back in an effort to establish position.

There is one of two things happening here. Either the referees are truly incompetent (not buying that one) or there is a systemic approach from the league level that directs them to not call it (far more likely). And that’s fine. If you want to discourage goal scoring that much and allow the law of the jungle to prevail, have at it. But then you’ll have to remove it from the rulebook.

This whole debate is actually ridiculous. Since this issue has come up, we’ve heard such inane statements as, “How much crosschecking are we prepared to accept?” Hey, here’s a crazy idea. How about none? When do we want it called? Just spit balling here, but how about all the time, regardless of the time of the game, the score and how important the game is in the overall scheme of things? Let’s put a premium back on body position, boxing out and hockey smarts. And if it results in more tap-ins being scored by forwards who go to the net, is that really such a bad thing?

A couple of years ago, the casual slash was something that players had to accept as an occupational hazard. And if you happened to be one of the league’s more gifted players, you had to go into every game knowing you’d probably have to endure more whacks to your wrists and forearms than other players. But the league has cracked down on that because some of the world’s best players were breaking their wrists and hands. It’s time to do exactly the same thing with the casual crosscheck. But it apparently is a really difficult sell in a league where former players – many of whom made a very good living using those kinds of tactics – hold the levers of power. Just ask Mike Bossy, who will go down in history as one of the greatest goalscorers of all-time and one of who scored 50 goals for nine straight seasons until back woes drove him out of the game after his 10th.

Try to watch a game this season where there aren’t double digit crosschecks applied. You won’t be able to do it. It kills offense, it wears down offensive players and it gives defensemen who are lacking in defensive coverage skills an advantage they don’t deserve. It’s high time for it to end. It likely won’t happen, even on the heels of bellyaching from the league’s highest-profile franchise, but we can hope, can’t we?

When does protecting it's players become the real focus of the DoPS, when does the union(and they are a union and not an "association") decide that the real aim of the committee is to protect them from themselves and especially protect them from the sociopaths in the game and thus allow them to apply discipline when needed, and certainly when necessary, not just when there is an injury. If there's anything I have more disdain for then the old "it's all OK nobody got hurt," sentiment I'm not sure what it is.

I played and grew up in the 60's and saw the game devolve into Fred Shero's version of the game, I love physical hockey, I loved playing physical hockey, I loved the battles on the boards and those in front of the net, but I abhorred the dirt and still do as it has no part in the game. I have a bad back(3 surgeries) today because of all those cross-checks I took in front of the net and in tight to the boards and now somedays can barely walk fully upright. I have trouble breathing through my nose because of a cross check in the face I took in minor bantam(before cages). Rulebook, what rulebook. The players need to be shown they cannot do these things real suspensions and loss of pay will help them to learn hopefully.

What Tkachuk did was not a hockey play, it was not an accident his cavalier attitude about the incident speaks volumes; Flames, Matthew Tkachuk shrug off contrived fury over Campbell 'incident'
“Which one? I feel like there were a lot of scrums in front of the goalie throughout the game -- which one are they making a big deal about this time?” chuckled the 23-year-old winger who figured Campbell was slow to get up due to a tweak he suffered minutes earlier.

“It was just a battle in front – I actually thought I tipped it and it went in. A 6-on-5 situation, just banging away at the puck

“I live in that area – I live in that crease area throughout the games. I was just digging for a puck. I was battling with Brodes (former teammate TJ Brodie) a little bit there and guys started coming in. I just got knocked over. Obviously I had no intention of falling into him or anything like that. It’s just a classic thing to try to accuse me of there.”

Matt Tkachuk for those keeping score is 6'2" and over 200lbs he's a big boy and doesn't just get knocked over by somebody breathing on him(I don't care if Mikheyev had onion soup or what), like his father he's a great hockey player but also like his father he's a dirty son of a gun.

Ask yourself this Leafs Nation and you too LeaFlanders what if Campbell had been seriously hurt? Yes that's right! the answer to that equation is Micheal Hutchinson:eek:

but sure "hockey play!" amidoinitrite

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
True, maybe the self-awareness is there. But, given his history, he isn't functioning very high on the ability to think abstractly and to feel empathy. Sadly, you have to use old-fashioned behavioural techniques with these types because, like animals, they can't use their forebrains to regulate their behaviour. Immediate, consistent, and intense punishment!

Don't take this as me defending that jerk but I think you are conflating what you see as a lack of empathy with old fashioned competitive spirit. In my day it was normal, expected to throw at the head of an opposing batter if their team was taking liberties with our team. I would often slide into second base kleets up hoping to get a meaty part of the 2B/SS leg or keets aimed at the back of their hand where there is an opening in the glove, take the catcher out at the knees. When we were in a scrum (Rugby) it was very common to get your ears raked, hands / legs stepped on. Not unusual to go into the corners after a puck elbows up. As much as I hate him doing it to my team, I get that he is ultra competitive and wants to get in the heads of the opposing team.

I agree you fight fire with fire though.

Reactions: Stigma

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
With Hymans history of retribution, I gotta think you poke that bear he will be the guy to lay out Tkachuk. He's got a dirty chippy edge that he will cross if provoked.

Reactions: slozo

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
This guy is also admitting that the knee thing is a classic Tkachuk move. Basically giving us evidence that this was not an innocent play.

I'm sorry, I'm with the barbarians on this one. No "turn the other cheek" for this. Fight fire with fire. Annihilate him.

There are human beings on our planet who are empty vacuums; missing a forebrain. They lack self-awareness and empathy. They are best dealt with through classical behavioural techniques....not with logic and reason. A human like Tkachuk requires immediate, consistent, and intense punishment to modify his behaviour. Like the way you would train a rat to properly go through a maze to obtain cheese.
I wish I could triple like this post. Well said and literally spot on.

Reactions: Stigma

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
we get to see that pos at least 6 more times; 6 more games to beat the living hell outta him and teach him some manners.

I didnt want to risk a PK then; but... I expect some form of a response tonight from the boys (I mean Simmonds)

With Freddy the only goalie we have that is healthy; anybody even breathing close to Freddy needs to be dealt with pronto.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Very smart play to leave it be with the game on the line like that. And I'm not even sure how much of it Bogosian saw from watching the replay. Tkachuk can say what he wants, you don't fall with your knee out like that. If it's not addressed this game, I'll be disappointed. I think we see Simmonds address it. If not, hopefully as a team we address it and give him a rough ride all night. Hyman, Vesey, Simmonds, Muzzin, Holl, Bogosian. Give him the business and finish checks. Excited for this one. 5am work is gonna come early unfortunately. Ah well, GLG !

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Why does it fall on Bogosian for retribution? Why not Nylander? Get him to clean Tkachuck's clock.

Double Flamingo Kung fu vs. Double knee drop Kung fu.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While I would have been fine if there had been a scrap afterwards, I will say those thinking it will send a message are really underestimating how many of these dirty plays are the result of split second reactions to something happening right in front of them.

Its not as if Tkachuck spent the preceeding two periods running through the pros and cons of whether he should do that Campbell

Last edited:

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
So it looks like we're letting it slide I guess... We're going to regret it, we're not looking any tougher. We're winning though but skill eventually will fade in and out through the season but we need that tough element too we lacked that in seasons before, the team needs to know players are going to have to answer if a rat makes dirty plays towards them.. by letting this go and grabbing the W is making the same statement they made for the past 4 seasons.

I bet you if we keep scoring and out playing then Tkachuk is going to get dirty I hope for the love of God we respond when he does.... Bogosian or Simmonds.. again preferably Bogosian.. Simmonds is looking like he's bringing it already, but want Bogosian to make himself noticed more.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
So for the people that said a message needs to be sent by calling out Tkachuk for what he did. What are your thoughts?

Im still disappointed nothing was done, I understand we won and that's even better and Tkachuk had a little baby tantrum meltdown over Muzzins taunt after a win, but we aren't always going to win these games and there was still no psychical answer for what Tkachuk tried to do to Campbell.

I'm happy with the result but still were suppose to be tougher and we just look like a skilled team that will try to answer back with skill, that's great but skill will fade in and out, you need that presence of standing up for eachother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad