Your thoughts: Auston Matthews' performance at WCH

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I would've been happy if Matthews was just one of the boys. But he didn't just belong. He thrived. He went 1 on 1 against top defencemen like Josi, Ristolainen and Hedman, and he won those battles. Scored on Lundqvist and Bobrovsky. He was the answer to McDavid's search for a line mate, and provided us highlight reel goals alongside McDavid. And now he's brimming with confidence and now he knows he can take on the NHL. A+.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I gave him an A for the same reasons many stated. I look at an A+ as perfection and while he was outstanding, there were a few small things he could improve on. Work along the boards, puck battles, minor things that will come quickly to him.

One thing I have noticed is how the Laine Vs Matthews chatter has all but disappeared. Laine was basically non existent out there for Finland, while Matthews absolutely dominated. After getting a few good looks at the two players I don't think its really even close.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Hands down an A+.

Those reserving the A+ for perfection, how can one be perfect when they don't have control over the entire game? He can only be as perfect as his team, linemates, refs, coaches, experience, age, etc... allow him to be.

Given his age and NHL experience, that was as damn close to perfect as one can be. He accomplished more than was expected of him. In my mind, the amount to which he exceeded expectations is as deserving of an A+ as there will ever be.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Had to give him an A+. Auston did very well against some of the best players in the world.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I gave him an A-

He didnt really generate a ton on his own, but did a great job of feeding off of McDavids energy.

I thought his play during the last period against Russia was phenomenal which was an amazing sign. Really stepped up his game during the important moments (although came short).

His ability to dog the puck and force turn overs was really something to marvel over. Probably one of the hardest things to do, yet every time the opponent attempted to clear Matthews was there to break it up.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I don't understand people's thinking sometimes.

Why would you compare Matthews' performance vs McDavid's? Is McDavid a rookie who has never played a single game in the NHL, because that's what we are rating here folks, Matthews' performance. His grade.

He is a rookie that has never played an NHL game,.. That's what we are rating. His performance as a rookie in an international All-Star event. He played on the top line, on a team of young all stars, against other team all stars. And he excelled. What are you people missing here!?!

ForSpareParts*

Why would you compare Matthews' performance vs McDavid's? Is McDavid a rookie who has never played a single game in the NHL, because that's what we are rating here folks, Matthews' performance. His grade.

He is a rookie that has never played an NHL game,.. That's what we are rating. His performance as a rookie in an international All-Star event. He played on the top line, on a team of young all stars, against other team all stars. And he excelled. What are you people missing here!?!

What are you missing?!?!

The OP states this:

"What would you grade Auston Matthews' play at the World Cup this year?"

It is open and yes we can compare him to McDavid.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I gave him an A-

He didnt really generate a ton on his own, but did a great job of feeding off of McDavids energy.

I thought his play during the last period against Russia was phenomenal which was an amazing sign. Really stepped up his game during the important moments (although came short).

His ability to dog the puck and force turn overs was really something to marvel over. Probably one of the hardest things to do, yet every time the opponent attempted to clear Matthews was there to break it up.

This. ^

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
He's surpassing my expectations so far.

...which is impressive considering they were quite high to begin with.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unlike many I hadn't seen much of Matthews until this tournament. He surpassed my expectations.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He was very good, but I don't think the azure-coloured glasses around here are recognizing how much McDavid stirred that drink.

abvhiael

Oct 15, 2010
simply watching his strength, vision, poise, etc... on that goal against the swedes. controlling and advancing the play from his knees, and getting right back to the place he needed to be to shovel the puck in the back of the net. that's my A+ moment and is one of those highlight reel moments that will keep me saying WOW every time i see it. this kid is the game breaker the leafs have needed since sundin, and should be, very soon, our captain. stamkos WHO? its been a long time of humbling self-depreciation between me and my brother (who, dropped on his lots as a child, is a habs fan) as leafs fortunes dipped, the trainwreck seemed never ending. matthews has that HOLY (expletive) factor with his play. i think he does the same thing with the leafs depth chart on ice as he did with team north america, he will play himself, through preseason, through the first quarter of the season, into first line minutes and responsibilities. team north america;s success shows that "play the damn kids" WORKS. short term, small sample size... and while the level of talent the youngsters coming up the pipeline isnt Team NA by any means... the talent is well above anything weve had the pleasure to watch in a long long time. ill be watching as many marlies and leafs games as i can this season, because RIGHT NOW feels the early days of a dynasty... and watching matthews play against the best in the world, yeah A++

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
had high expectations, he exceeded them. Has to be A+ for me. Anyone who gave him less than an A is prolly a Laine fan.....

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
What are you missing?!?!

The OP states this:

"What would you grade Auston Matthews' play at the World Cup this year?"

It is open and yes we can compare him to McDavid.

I'm missing nothing.

We are grading Auston Matthews, the rookie #1 draft pick, playing at an international all-star tournament.

When you grade a rookie at an all-star tournament . . . what criteria do you employ? Do you grade rookies as you do second and third year players?

And if you do . . . rate rookies with 0 NHL games played the same ass sophomore players and older . . . can you cite some examples of any of the hockey greats of our time making a similar impact with 0 NHL games played? And if any of those players would have gotten an A+ in your opinion?

I think this is a matter of people not putting this into perspective. A fair grade means, there is the POSSIBILITY of giving an A+, and there must be some all-time HOF greats out there who must have achieved that A+ mark - otherwise, you might as well be that a-hole prof who never gives any student anything above an A (which is, at the very root of it, unfair).

If Auston Matthews only warrants an A- or less . . . cite the case of a rookie with 0 NHL games getting an A or A+ please.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
A+
He looked like a great big Datsyuk or Mark Stone out there stripping pucks. So defensively responsible but right there for offence when a change emerged. Pretty good at keeping his head up which is a good thing; I feel like his battling style might result in him absorbing some big hits over time. Hope I am wrong but I just have this feeling Dion is going to take a healthy run at him first chance he gets.

Jun 27, 2005

Way too much homerism in this thread. The reality is:

- it was an all star tournament, great players but nothing like the NHL where you have a 4th liner trying to keep his job on your back, McDavid lost more than half the season last year because he got hit from behind

- McDavid whether you like it or not had a huge impact on his line, it would have been much better and valuable to see Matthews center a line without McDavid

- every player on his team was better than every Leaf (not counting Rielly of course) what's he going to be like when he has last place Leafs with him

- all in all this tournament doesn't reflect reality in the NHL at all but that being said he definitely met or exceeded everyone's expectations

- it appears that he can strip the puck away from anyone if he wants, pretty amazing

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You need to realize that anything positive seen in any Leaf player is down to "glasses".

and "homer" :laugh:

Matthews performance considering he never truly faced off against the best of the best NHL talent, was extremely impressive. The end. I don't know why it had to be graded or anything which is why i wasn't going to bother with it until i read some of the comments. (then i was going to be the whole "he was okay, just okay, for a little lol).

he didn't look out of place at all, he was a spark plug when needed, he kept pace with everyone and he did it on the wing. Maybe if he did it as a centre he'd have a little bit more adjustment - but we'll not know this until camp (but i'd doubt it very much).

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I'm missing nothing.

We are grading Auston Matthews, the rookie #1 draft pick, playing at an international all-star tournament.

When you grade a rookie at an all-star tournament . . . what criteria do you employ? Do you grade rookies as you do second and third year players?

And if you do . . . rate rookies with 0 NHL games played the same ass sophomore players and older . . . can you cite some examples of any of the hockey greats of our time making a similar impact with 0 NHL games played? And if any of those players would have gotten an A+ in your opinion?

I think this is a matter of people not putting this into perspective. A fair grade means, there is the POSSIBILITY of giving an A+, and there must be some all-time HOF greats out there who must have achieved that A+ mark - otherwise, you might as well be that a-hole prof who never gives any student anything above an A (which is, at the very root of it, unfair).

If Auston Matthews only warrants an A- or less . . . cite the case of a rookie with 0 NHL games getting an A or A+ please.

Your throwing so many variables into a pretty linear situation. Doesn't matter how many previous games he had played in the NHL or anyone else on the team for that matter. Your grading the player based on how he performed at the tournament, that's the title of the thread actually.

Him having no prior NHL expirience is clearly impressive but that does not change how he executed during the game. The OP asked for a grade on his play during the World Cup, not to grade his play at the World Cup compared to others further along in development.

His play was very impressive and showed the world he's the real deal, but let's not kid ourselves Mcdavid did contribute to his success in a large way. To give an A+ is to say he was or nearly was perfect. I don't believe that was the case. Whether it be lost puck battles along the boards and down low or turnovers he did make some mistakes. That being said they were few and far between but none the less they happened, thus the A grade.

I really don't understand how some of you are so upset by some of us not giving away a full grade. The difference between and A grade and A+ is not so large as to cause an uproar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad