Your thoughts: Auston Matthews' performance at WCH

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
What would you grade Auston Matthews' play at the World Cup this year? What are your overall thoughts? IMO there's just no way anyone rates him a C or lower because he was pretty solid so I'll just keep it from A+ to B-. Can't wait to watch him all season long as a Leaf :handclap:

WHC stats:
3 exhibition GP, 1G, 1A
3 group GP, 2G, 1A

Last edited:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
mcdavid is gonna be goat of next decade of nhl and ppg player, gaudreau is an nhl superstar, and he didnt look out of place compared to them at all, he looked better than them through stretches

A for sure, he has 70 pts per 82 potential this year already

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It feels like we have someone utterly elite directly out of the box, which is something very different than drafting a Dylan Strome or an Alex Galchenyuk. Would not be surprised if his production exceeds Jack Eichel's from last year.

The way he and the puck always seem within ten feet of each other is just really special.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
A+. He far exceeded my expectation this WHC. Just seeing him play on the first line with McDavid was proof enough of his performance.

Couple of things I like him to improve on are his board battles and pacing of the game. He seemed gassed towards the end whenever he plays too much. I think he fixes it with more experience and better coaching.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It feels like we have someone utterly elite directly out of the box, which is something very different than drafting a Dylan Strome or an Alex Galchenyuk. Would not be surprised if his production exceeds Jack Eichel's from last year.

The way he and the puck always seem within ten feet of each other is just really special.

Yep.

He's just another tier above even traditional bluechips. What a joy for Leaf fans he'll be

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Started off as an addition that many might have looked at as a PR move, to sell the stars of tomorrow. Even from we Leaf optimists, I thought he'd be in tough to make it to third line minutes, and certainly would have looked at THAT outcome as a very successful start to his career.

But then he went and blew us away.

When a coach with zero affiliation and zero need to up his profile is FORCED to keep putting him with better and more skilled players, until playing with the vaunted McDavid!, well then . . . that's just . . . it would have been derided and laughed at as a joke if said before the tournament. In fact, I think one or two of us actually made that joke - as a joke.

He just showed us that he could be a guy with a potential that rivals the very top stars of today. It's . . . awesome, surprising, and stunning.

Oh yeah. A+ obviously.
Anyone who votes lower than an A is a wet blanket, depressed person who clearly needs clinical assistance.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
To look as comfortable as he did with some of the top players in the world before ever playing an NHL game it's an easy A+.

He did seem to get a little gassed at parts but that's part of learning the pace and completely understandable.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Gave him qn A- but it wasn't due ne comparing Matthews to other youngsters, it was me comparing him to the best players in the tournament, and the only guy who I'd give a straight A+is crosby. With Matthews I don't have to hope, we as leaf fans and other team fans can see how good he will be right off the bat. He's a top 30 player at the end of next season and will continue to rise. He's got a man's body and is a boy wonder in terms of puck skills and shot. Can't wait to see him in the nhl next season.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Gave him qn A- but it wasn't due ne comparing Matthews to other youngsters, it was me comparing him to the best players in the tournament, and the only guy who I'd give a straight A+is crosby. With Matthews I don't have to hope, we as leaf fans and other team fans can see how good he will be right off the bat. He's a top 30 player at the end of next season and will continue to rise. He's got a man's body and is a boy wonder in terms of puck skills and shot. Can't wait to see him in the nhl next season.

My exact reasoning for this as well. People like Crosby and McDavid deserved an A+

Matthews was really great, but he wasn't on those 2's levels.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
A+. Guy hasn't even played his first shift in NHL and puck handles a legit top 10 defenseman like he is a CHL defneseman, for that move alone it's worth A+.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
BTZ5SrI.gif

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I knew he was good, I did not know that he would be this good so soon. Mind boggling how a guy so young who has never played a single NHL game and who was expected by many to be the 13th forward for this team shot up the ranks of team North America and had such a major impact. This kid is a mega NHL star in the making.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
His game is incredibly refined. It's unbelievable, to be honest.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he blows all other rookies out of the water this year for the Calder.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In terms of what he did, how he looked, and compared to my expectations....easy A+

I was absolutely blown away. Fully expected him to look solid. He's a talented player and we saw how he did at the World Championships over the summer. But, he worked his way up the lineup and was such a good fit. His reliability defensively and his offensive skills were both really impressive.

We really got as good a first overall pick as you can ask for.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
A+

13th forward to McDavid's wingman in the span of a few games. Never played a game in the NHL yet. Most of his teammates have at least a couple seasons under their belt. A guy like RNH has 5 years in the league. Matthews looked great in every regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad