Your thoughts: Auston Matthews' performance at WCH

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if he not only tops Eichel's production from a year ago (56 points), but if he topped Eichel THIS year head to head

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
His performance was outstanding. He distinguished himself from some of the top young stars in this league and hasn't played a single NHL game. That is only a feat that you would expect McDavid to do if the WCH started last year. Matthews looked better than Jack Eichel after a full year of being in the league. A+++

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
A, he was a monster at both ends of the ice, he created so much offence was so responsible in his own end. I wanted to give him an A+ but to me an A+ is perfect or near perfect, I think he could have produced a little more if he had a few more points i would have given it to him. inb4 all the hate.

scooter87

Mar 22, 2013
A+. As soon as we drafted him I posted that he is already the best player on the leafs and it is not even close.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
A, he was a monster at both ends of the ice, he created so much offence was so responsible in his own end. I wanted to give him an A+ but to me an A+ is perfect or near perfect, I think he could have produced a little more if he had a few more points i would have given it to him. inb4 all the hate.

You are a cup is half empty kind of person I take it...

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
A solid A. He played very well. It's kinda funny how Team Europe is now in the finals when a bunch of Finnish fans said they were the easier competition in the pre exhibition games when Matthews looked so good against them.

Charles Chuck Finley

Apr 29, 2016
Toronto
He was better than I hoped, despite being optimistic.

His two way game stood out for me. Not only being responsible defensively when his teammates are pinching or in deep, but actually being effective against top competition. The way he hunts the puck, combined with his anticipation and ability to clog up passing lanes, showed a high hockey IQ. Fits with Babcocks coaching style perfectly, imo.

When the speed of the NHL game slows down a little for him and he develops chemistry with his linemates, it's going to be good times.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
A+. Guy hasn't even played his first shift in NHL and puck handles a legit top 10 defenseman like he is a CHL defneseman, for that move alone it's worth A+.

Yeah, on his knees...:)
This kid is just so special..I still can't believe he's ours. Voted A+ for sure.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
To go from 13th forward to playing on the top line....ya full marks for sure. A+

i agree ,in fact u could say he made McDavid look better ,the guy just goes and gets pucks ,I think most of us would've settled for the 13 forward ,but the only team he doesn't make is likely TEAM CANADA .
:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
2hnnqxt.gif

2retqis.jpg

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

I'm with you. Don't like to be too liberal with A+. A is plenty plenty plenty good.

Perhaps had there not been an A- in the scale, I might of thought about A+ though.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Easy A+

Top line forward at 19 years old, without a single game of NHL experience and puts up 5 points in 6 games and better than just defensively responsible in a best on best international tournament. If we're talking performance vs expectations, I'm not sure how he doesn't get full marks.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He was terrific, all things considered. Don't quite agree with those saying he equaled McDavid, who I think was the clear driver on that line.

I agree about McDavid being the driver of the line, but FWIW, I believe that to be the case mostly because Auston Matthews was trying to play his role, more than because he couldn't have done it himself.

I also don't think it's unfair to look at what Matthews did in two-way play and say that puts his tournament showing on par with McDavid's. Not saying equal player, but I was as impressed with Matthews as anyone on the North American roster.

ForSpareParts*

I think people here are giving McDavid too much credit. He was alright, but not as a good as Matthews.

::yo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That top line gets the A+ i would say. Matthews deking Hedman on one knee, the slap pass across the ice and goes to the net to score tough was intense compete. I smiled quietly watching that. Oh yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad