Your thoughts: Auston Matthews' performance at WCH

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Watching Matthews play during the world cup was nothing short of mind blowing. Watching him get knocked down and proceed to stick handle around the other team ON HIS KNEES made me realize we have a bonafide hockey stud on our hands.

If McDavid is the Gretzky of the league, I can easily see Matthews being the Lemieux of the league.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Watching Matthews play during the world cup was nothing short of mind blowing. Watching him get knocked down and proceed to stick handle around the other team ON HIS KNEES made me realize we have a bonafide hockey stud on our hands.

If McDavid is the Gretzky of the league, I can easily see Matthews being the Lemieux of the league.

uhh Matthews is no Lemieux.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You are setting him up to fail with the bar you are setting for him. He is an outstanding talent but 3 to 4 games a week with thousands of mile of travel over a long season will wear on anyone. Plus he will not have the calibre of players he had at the WC. He will be putting enough pressure on himself without trying to meet Leaf Nation expectations....give him a break.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You are setting him up to fail with the bar you are setting for him. He is an outstanding talent but 3 to 4 games a week with thousands of mile of travel over a long season will wear on anyone. Plus he will not have the calibre of players he had at the WC. He will be putting enough pressure on himself without trying to meet Leaf Nation expectations....give him a break.

Yeah, screw anyone that wants to be positive about our new outstanding player

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Gave him an A, was considered the 13th forward and ended up playing on the top line and contributing a point per game in the 3 game round robin. That is pretty impressive for the youngest player in the entire tourney.

I just hope Babs pulls the reins in and lets him start on the third or second line. Let him ramp up.

We are likly to trade Bozak @ the TDL and then cement him in at the number two till the start of next year when he will likely get first line minutes.

Kid has Skill, Size and Vision. Everything we need in a first line centre.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Gave him an A, was considered the 13th forward and ended up playing on the top line and contributing a point per game in the 3 game round robin. That is pretty impressive for the youngest player in the entire tourney.

I just hope Babs pulls the reins in and lets him start on the third or second line. Let him ramp up.

We are likly to trade Bozak @ the TDL and then cement him in at the number two till the start of next year when he will likely get first line minutes.

Kid has Skill, Size and Vision. Everything we need in a first line centre.

Babs said that today

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Always room for improvement so he get's an A.

That said, he played a very mature game out there and delivered in all areas of the game.

Nice feeling knowing we have a centre of this calibre in our organization now. Just goes to show you what competent management can do for a team.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Agree 100% which is why I gave Matthews an A. He came in and did more than what I expected, but when it comes to an A+ I think McDavid and Crosby get those ratings. Still absolutely crazy that Matthews can come in and be one of the top guys in the tourney at 19 and no NHL experience.

What did McDavid do that earned an A+ that Matthews didn't? He skated through the neurtral zone faster, definitely. He created chances off the rush, definitely. Matthews was dancing around people along the boards all day long. Matthews had many key breakups and started many plays that lead to chances.

I don't see how one can get an A+ and not the other. They simply dominated at different areas of the ice. They both had about the same amount of wow moments as well. It's odd that some people will not accept that. It doesn't mean anything regarding the future as to who will be better or their legacy, or any of that stuff. But in this one tournament, McDavid was not on some other level when compared to Matthews, not objectively.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
No one should be holding back anything on this kid. Hes an outstanding prospect and almost surefire star. Our expectations should be skyhigh and we should have complete confidence in him to reach it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Anything less than A+ is selling him short. His performance vs expectation was above just about anyone.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Those factors apply to everyone though... It's not like Matthews is the ONLY player that has to travel or the ONLY player who played with very good teammates at the World Cup (or World Championships, where he was even more dominant).

He's looked very good so far, better than many many NHL "stars"despite the age and experience gap. These are things to be happy about.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If the awarding of A+ have to be moderated, I certainly wouldn't give one to McDavid either. Matthews and McDavid would be A players while Sidney - the best in the world - Crosby receives an A+.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's a Franchise player. He will likely have two stars with him in Nylander and Marner as well as Rielly. You could add JVR in there and if the depth exceeds expectations then we have a powerhouse in short order.

This is the most excited I have ever been about the Leafs in my life. Its all up to guys like Brown, Carrick, Nielsy etc. Those secondary guys if they live up to the expectations mean everything. They will likely be cycled out as cap is reached but will represent a sustainable future.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No disputing that McDavid projects as the superior player for his generation, but I think if they both evolve into the players we think they're going to, I'm going to feel very comfortable going into any seven game playoff series with Matthews going head to head against anybody in the league. He's got that Crosby "high end grinder" quality to him that means he'll be able to play the game any way you want.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
If Matthews was a A+, what was McDavid then?

33ww8wp.jpg

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
And crashes at higher speed too and gets injured for half a season too. Not just in NHL even in juniors. Jokes apart his game carries way too much risk and he needs to learn that the speed that makes him great can burn his whole career with injuries.

He is still young enough to heal from most injuries for a while but how long he can avoid it?

In junior he broke his hand in a fight.

High speed punch?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's important for a player to make good decisions and avoid injury when possible. Didn't think this was relevant to process in question (determining a rating based on WCH performance).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad