Your team is on the clock! PICK #4 (Fan Base Mock Entry Draft)

Mar 26, 2010
If anything he's underrated based on the year he just had as an 17/18 year old in college.

Not sure I take him over Marner, but it's close and I won't be upset if we do.

IMO, Gotta go with Marner...

buttman*

Hanifin.

Marner is nice but another small forward is not what this team needs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'll take Marner.

Hanifin's stock doesn't seem to have gone up this year.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I'm at a point that I honestly would be happy with either of Strome/Hanifin/Marner (I want Strome btw).

It's actually great to be in a spot, that it's not one guy or bust. I think more then Strome/Hanifin/Marner debate, what I REALLY want is another top 10 pick for Barzal.

Strome/Hanifin/Marner+Barzal, that would be ****ing amazing.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I would go Marner.

Maybe I'm wrong but a lot of the collegiate first rounders have left me unimpressed in theast several years

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It is a tough call. I go back and forth on Marner, Hanifin, and Strome. All three are really talented players and all of them could be huge for the Leafs going forward.

Since I gave Hanifin the vote in the previous thread, I'll go with Marner here. I also want a really strong top pairing, but I also feel that Marner and Nylander could be insanely fun to have on the same time so that's also a win to me.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Always take BPA, especially in the Leafs situation. BPA at that time without question is Hanifin. Not to mention Marner already having a concussion so early in his career.

Portse91

Sep 18, 2013
Always take BPA, especially in the Leafs situation. BPA at that time without question is Hanifin. Not to mention Marner already having a concussion so early in his career.

It's impossible really to know who the BPA is between Marner and Hanifin. Two different positions, two different leagues, anyone who claims to know who is better has an over-inflated ego.

If you avoided drafting players because of concussion issues or any other injury related issues you would have a pretty bare cupboard (See Morgan Riellys draft year).I'm sure if you are smart enough to know that just because your medical report doesn't have a concussion on it, doesn't mean you haven't had one.

So for me, I think you have to take the RW, we will need someone to eventually fill the void once Kessel is only a memory :handclap:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
It's impossible really to know who the BPA is between Marner and Hanifin. Two different positions, two different leagues, anyone who claims to know who is better has an over-inflated ego.

If you avoided drafting players because of concussion issues or any other injury related issues you would have a pretty bare cupboard (See Morgan Riellys draft year).I'm sure if you are smart enough to know that just because your medical report doesn't have a concussion on it, doesn't mean you haven't had one.

So for me, I think you have to take the RW, we will need someone to eventually fill the void once Kessel is only a memory :handclap:

You don't take a RW if it's even remotely close between a center or dman. Regardless, Marner could play center if need be anyway

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Why not? That's an awful drafting strategy.

Best player available.

Do you see a big enough difference between hanifin, Marner and Strome that if Marner was a rw you would still take him? I have him ahead of Strome by a hair but I would rather Strome if marner is just a RW and that's it. Marner being able to excel at center tips the scales for me.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Would be more excited about Marner.

With Hanifin I worry he turns into Erik Johnson (big, U.S. defender with an "all around" game but falls short of greatness).

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Would be more excited about Marner.

With Hanifin I worry he turns into Erik Johnson (big, U.S. defender with an "all around" game but falls short of greatness).

In that case, you might as well say Marner can be Ribiero 2.0.

I'd see if I could swing a deal with Kessel for NJ #6 and another piece. I'd like to keep JVR moving forward. If Marner isn't on the board, take Provorov or Crouse. Right now, I have Provorov as my #6 BPA...nothing wrong with taking 2 defenseman if we could make this deal...always go BPA.

Also, Hanifin is an elite skater, I can't see him being an Erik Johnson clone. He's closer to a Neidermayer type. The only knock on him is I'm not sure he'll be able to QB a PP at an elite level but we already have Rielly.

I'm literally on the border with both but I'm leaning a lot more towards Hanifin. I trust Hunter's judgement though.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
In that case, you might as well say Marner can be Ribiero 2.0.

I'd see if I could swing a deal with Kessel for NJ #6 and another piece. I'd like to keep JVR moving forward. If Marner isn't on the board, take Provorov or Crouse.

Also, Hanifin is an elite skater, I can't see him being an Erik Johnson clone. He's closer to a Neidermayer type. The only knock on him is I'm not sure he'll be able to QB a PP at an elite level but we already have Rielly.

Kinda this but instead trade as many as we can of Kessel, DP, Bozak, Lupul etc and see if we can turn those assets into one more top 10 pick and some top 20's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad