GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ St. Louis Blues, 8 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You don't get rentals when you're 9000 points out of a playoff spot.

I can't believe we have 30 more home games left, this season's gonna be a nightmare to be a STH. At least in a normal season they'd have about 20-25 left. But management/ticket ops can go **** off for wanting this early schedule so they wouldn't have to worry about dead crowds pre-Christmas, they deserve this season.

All the more reason to do something in short order.

This season can turn into a diaster in a hurry if they don't figure something out.

This team completely forgetting how to defend is astonishing.

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
If they get another forward big guy like Hanzal they can maintain more pressure in the offensive end instead of being trapped in their own end.

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
If you have dumb players like Smith Pelly and Fiddler who can't forecheck properly what's the point? Hanzal would be a guy directly on the puck and a smart player nonetheless.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If they get another forward big guy like Hanzal they can maintain more pressure in the offensive end instead of being trapped in their own end.

The problem is more with there being enormous gaps in coverage that opposing players can just move through unmolested. Like tonight St. Louis was moving through the neutral zone with ease. Meanwhile we're battling just get the damn puck to the neutral zone.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The problem is more with there being enormous gaps in coverage that opposing players can just move through unmolested. Like tonight St. Louis was moving through the neutral zone with ease. Meanwhile we're battling just get the damn puck to the neutral zone.

The size of the gaps is insane. I don't think the Blues even believed how was it was to skate through the neutral zone.

Like it was a trick or something.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
What annoys the hell out of me is how do these guys just seem to become so undisciplined. They're professionals who've been playing the game for most of their life.

Dumbfounded.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What annoys the hell out of me is how do these guys just seem to become so undisciplined. They're professionals who've been playing the game for most of their life.

Dumbfounded.

This does happen when a team tunes a coach out. Even if they don't realize it, but they are just going through the motions.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you have dumb players like Smith Pelly and Fiddler who can't forecheck properly what's the point? Hanzal would be a guy directly on the puck and a smart player nonetheless.

Right now I'm starting to think we have a dumb coach too. I'm almost surprised Hynes hasn't gone off the reservation and put Lovejoy on the PP the way he keeps playing him on the 3-on-3. That would be like Lemaire putting Colin White on the PP at the end of the Flyer series as a **** it move.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The truly scary thing to me is that they had 3 days to prepare for this game, knowing they'd gotten their ***** handed to them 3 straight games (and really they were thoroughly outplayed in Nashville as well).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This does happen when a team tunes a coach out. Even if they don't realize it, but they are just going through the motions.

I just don't get WHY they've tuned Hynes out so quickly, even though he held them more accountable last year he doesn't come off as a Keenan-like nutcase who wears out his welcome in record time. Is it cause they know he's an airhead? I'm honestly at a loss as to how he could lose the team this fast.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I just don't get WHY they've tuned Hynes out so quickly, even though he held them more accountable last year he doesn't come off as a Keenan-like nutcase who wears out his welcome in record time. Is it cause they know he's an airhead? I'm honestly at a loss as to how he could lose the team this fast.

That's why I'm pissed more at the players than the coach right now. We can ***** about Hynes personnel decisions, but there is zero excuse for the players tuning him out this quickly. To me this is on the leadership, or lack thereof on the team. When your captain can't seem to be bothered about anything, what kind of message does that send? And I respect the hell out of Greene for what he's done for this team. But at some point doesn't somebody in that room need to say enough of this ****?

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
That's why I'm pissed more at the players than the coach right now. We can ***** about Hynes personnel decisions, but there is zero excuse for the players tuning him out this quickly. To me this is on the leadership, or lack thereof on the team. When your captain can't seem to be bothered about anything, what kind of message does that send? And I respect the hell out of Greene for what he's done for this team. But at some point doesn't somebody in that room need to say enough of this ****?

These players just want to make their money and thats it man. They don;t play die hard hockey as other teams. its whatever to them. There's no love for hockey the way they play. Not creative at all. I don't know whats going on but its definitely something internally going on and the team is just giving up at this point on the season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Could it be because he is a young rookie coach? We do have another young AHL call up coach doing poorly in Detroit as well. He doesn't seem like the type that can really lash into the guys, and neither do his assistants. Even Pete seemed to know when to let his temper out, and he had Stevens to throw some fire too (though coach Stevens seems really mellow).

Maybe they simply don't buy this system? Either because they can't handle it, or know on some level it doesn't work?

Maybe it isn't so much Hynes, but that they have become a bunch of mopey vets who feel sorry for each other, and Hynes is simply unable to, for whatever reason, inspire them to play hard again?

Team is also desperately missing vet leadership that can fire the guys up, and wake them up. The current leaders seem way to passive, and combined with a passive coach, maybe that is a bad mix.

Like who is the pitbull in this locker room? Who is The Heavy? I feel like team leadership needs one of this type. Either on the staff, or a player leader. I guess Lou sort of filled that role in the later years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Like who is the pitbull in this locker room? Who is The Heavy? I feel like team leadership needs one of this type. Either on the staff, or a player leader. I guess Lou sort of filled that role in the later years.

They also don't have Patty this season, who was the last vestige of the team actually being great and knew what it took and not this welcome to the new age bs. Yeah he's been 'around' but being around Tommy Albelin style isn't the same thing as actually being there.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They also don't have Patty this season, who was the last vestige of the team actually being great and knew what it took and not this welcome to the new age bs. Yeah he's been 'around' but being around Tommy Albelin style isn't the same thing as actually being there.

So much of this just feels mental to me. Patty definitely isn't any effect right now. He is doing his own thing, it just happens to be in the team practice rink

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
The size of the gaps is insane. I don't think the Blues even believed how was it was to skate through the neutral zone.

Like it was a trick or something.

This has been going on for weeks now. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that this is just a poor defensive unit in general, but the entire team seems lost as well.

My opinion is that this season is toast. I will eat a shoe if this current roster makes up 10+ points in the standings over the next 4 months. But they have to find a way to play a structured game again. If that means firing hynes, so be it. This team is playing tremendously lousy hockey and another 4 months of this garbage should be considered unacceptable. They should at least be competitive.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I just don't see Hynes being fired at this point, seems a bit knee jerk to me. He's Shero's guy after all and was brought in to implement his vision of how he wants this team to play, he hasn't been around that long at all. I'm not saying something shouldn't be done but scrapping things this early doesn't seem like a good idea.

Now there are some fundamental flaws that RG brought up that don't look good but these players have to take a ton of the blame too. They really need to sack up figure it out, I don't mind losing if they are actually giving their best effort and playing with some emotion but seeing them a little ho hum when getting their ***** kicked really bothers me. If they are indeed tuning him out than yeah that is very troublesome, not many ways to deal with that other than the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad