GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ St. Louis Blues, 8 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I'm with you, Hynes will almost certainly be here to stay for the rest of the season no matter the result. If things continue to spiral downward the rest of this year like they've been or if the end result winds up as a step back from last year, then I think we'll see Hynes on the hot seat to start next season.

Shero isn't going to change direction on his plan this early. What we have had to fix organizationally isn't an overnight fix and he understands that so the rush isn't there to just fire Hynes this early. With a bigger sample size such as the two seasons and a potential step back, then you start keeping a closer eye on things.

At this point our reactions aren't even over-reactions. This has been a solid months worth of the same thing, 14 games which is close to 1/4 of the season.

Aside from Kovy, Elias, and Zajac, we had Arnott who was actually a bright spot for us in that down swing, Zubrus who was always consistent, Rolston although not what he was, was still useful. Tedenby and Nick Palmieri came in and made impacts. On defense we were better than the year prior (which was a very competitive season save for some issues after Langenbrunner soured) having added Volchenkov and Tallinder in favor of Mottau and Mark Fraser, and Mark Fayne came in and made a nice impact.

The roster for the most part was there that season. It goes without saying Lemaire was a great coach, however things clicked quite quickly after he took over because he put an actual system in place for a roster that was already good. The most frustrating part of whatever game plan Mac was running, was that the defense when transferring from the neutral zone to our offensive zone, played between the red/blue lines and no further. All of those dump and chases were so quickly over turned because we essentially had a 3 on 5.

That start under Mac still makes me shudder.

Seriously, what is Shero's plan? He took advantage of a desperate GM to get Hall but that isn't going to happen very often. Most of what he has done is to simply trade or sign for players (and coaches) who used to be in the Penguins organization. That's a plan?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do not think it is justifiable to fire Hynes when he has this crappy roster just above NHL .500 at this point

Nineteen teams are above 'NHL .500' and two at it, that's not exactly as meaningful as it used to be. And the rate it's going we'll be under even this version of .500 by Christmas.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Nineteen teams are above 'NHL .500' and two at it, that's not exactly as meaningful as it used to be. And the rate it's going we'll be under even this version of .500 by Christmas.

We aren't in the bottom 1/4 of the league is my point. In the grand scheme of things, this is kind of where I expected them to be.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We'd be 1 game out of the playoffs in the West haha, pretty crazy how good the Metro is.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We'd be 1 game out of the playoffs in the West haha, pretty crazy how good the Metro is.

Yeah, that doesn't help either. Since November 17th we've earned the fewest points in the division with just 9. The next closest is the Islanders, who have 12 points over that span.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
None of Josefson, Kalinin, Fiddler, or DSP make much of an impact, so it doesn't really matter which ones are in.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He still ended up 7th among Devils forwards in ice time though, and he plays the PP because he's literally the only net front presence we have.

Another huge problem. Before the Lappin and Wood call ups he was our only guy getting dirty in front, Travis and Hall do a good job of that as well but we need more bodies in the slot.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Least of our problems. They forecheck, big bodies and play PK. Exactly what you need on the 4th line.

They aren't fast enough to forcheck. They are constantly playing catch up. Big bodies that do not ply physical. They suck, stop it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad