identity in our own end is missing

talent on our blueline isn't there right now

no depth really

cory is struggling

this is the result. happens I guess

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well at least Wood wasn't the only one admitting the work ethic wasn't there. The goalie's more honest than the captain

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think you'll ever glean any real info from his pressers. He's not gonna call out anyone either so it's just the standard canned cliche answers. Pete did the same thing although he had a few meltdowns towards the end but that was more for TG.:laugh: We'll never get a Torts or even a funny JL presser out of Hynes.

His are more predictable than the Pete pressers at this point.:laugh:

When you can't play defense, it's a good barometer that coaching is somewhat suspect here.

Even Pete didn't get canned until the team couldn't even play defense anymore at the end.

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
The team cannot build from the back to the front. The passes are very sloppy and very predictable. Hall can't do it all on his own he needs some good passes in order to get some goals.. Cory can't handle the puck either he should just stay in goal he's not Marty. Get Blandisi in for some speed put Auvitu back in take Merrill out. Merrill always makes a crucial mistake every single game he is just like Gelinas, a useless player for this team.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
i dont understand how this team failed so badly lately. We did so well at the beginning when everyone was healthy.

Because the team started out with a new identity and speed - attack from the D. We were scoring from the blue line - moving the puck with speed from the blue line and it threw all the old scouting reports off. Teams prepared for us like they always had but instead they got something else.

1 trick pony show didn't adjust. Coaching fault in large. Change up the tactics, adjust and keep teams guessing but no - instead Hynes stuck with everything. Then the 1 trick wasn't working any longer and teams prepared.

Hitch even said - no team has changed as much as the Devils in the last year or two. He figured out how to beat the new look in 1 period and said as much in his between the period interview.

So what does Hynes do - nothing except scratch players that were giving us that speed and shooting from the back end like OV2.

It's undefendable and he needs to adjust or get out.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
No one knows what anyone else is going to do in the defensize zone.

They don't know who is pressing who and who is hanging back. They have no idea where to put the puck.

This is a catastrophic collapse of basic fundamental hockey.

Agreed. And this is on Shero for putting a bunch of AHLers on the ice.

Lovejoy
Moore
Quincey
Merrill

Hynes should have these guys on the ice until it's cleaned up.

Who coaches the D? Nasiriddine?

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
Because the team started out with a new identity and speed - attack from the D. We were scoring from the blue line - moving the puck with speed from the blue line and it threw all the old scouting reports off. Teams prepared for us like they always had but instead they got something else.

1 trick pony show didn't adjust. Coaching fault in large. Change up the tactics, adjust and keep teams guessing but no - instead Hynes stuck with everything. Then the 1 trick wasn't working any longer and teams prepared.

Hitch even said - no team has changed as much as the Devils in the last year or two. He figured out how to beat the new look in 1 period and said as much in his between the period interview.

So what does Hynes do - nothing except scratch players that were giving us that speed and shooting from the back end like OV2.

It's undefendable and he needs to adjust or get out.

I thought Hynes is a smarter guy, but he really has no clue what he's doing. He's just putting all the players in a blender and hoping something will happen.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
No one knows what anyone else is going to do in the defensize zone.

They don't know who is pressing who and who is hanging back. They have no idea where to put the puck.

This is a catastrophic collapse of basic fundamental hockey.

I really have no idea why Merrill and I guess it was Lovejoy backed in from just outside the blueline all the way on top of Cory on the second goal. It wasn't an outmanned situation, a pretty innocuous play. Same thing with Quincey the other night, he completely left his spot on a 3 on 2 against and slid over to a guy that was covered and gave a wide open lane for the guy to carry right to the net, crazy chance. Cory stopped it but it kinda went unnoticed, same thing tonight when he got caught going the other way got walked around for a great chance that Cory stopped.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Devils usually do bad vs Blues. I know they do good against Senators maybe we can get a win there.

We either outshoot them and can't score or they outshoot us and can't score.

I don't care what happens as long as it's a win.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really have no idea why Merrill and I guess it was Lovejoy backed in from just outside the blueline all the way on top of Cory on the second goal. It wasn't an outmanned situation, a pretty innocuous play. Same thing with Quincey the other night, he completely left his spot on a 3 on 2 against and slid over to a guy that was covered and gave a wide open lane for the guy to carry right to the net, crazy chance. Cory stopped it but it kinda went unnoticed, same thing tonight when he got caught going the other way got walked around for a great chance that Cory stopped.

I don't get why they did that.

It really flies in the face of being "tough to play against" when you are so willing to concede that much ice unconstested.

Also put sticks on the ice. Did they forget they have sticks?

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
We either outshoot them and can't score or they outshoot us and can't score.

I don't care what happens as long as it's a win.

We just have so much bad luck vs the Blues man. Their goalies just show up at the right times and they get some bounces.. Why can't we get bounces?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't get why they did that.

It really flies in the face of being "tough to play against" when you are so willing to concede that much ice unconstested.

Also put sticks on the ice. Did they forget they have sticks?

They were out their for a long time on that shift.

Not that it excuses it, but I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't understand what Merrill was doing on that second goal. It looked like he was trying to tango with the Blues player and it created a perfect moving screen that blocked Cory's view of the puck.

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
The coach tells the players to move out of Schneider's eyes when the opponents are on a rush, but they just let them to the blue paint. LOL

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They were out their for a long time on that shift.

Not that it excuses it, but I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

It must have but stuff like this is happening far to often, while later on Quincy battled along the boards to stand a rushing Blues and drew a penalty.

Now we know Quincey has his limits as a player but I much rather take them trying and sometimes failing to be physical in the zone over this soft **** we see most of the time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another good insight by Wood.

Said they made Allen's night easy by failing to get any bodies in front of him.

Maybe one of our biggest issues offensively all year. We absolutely suck at getting people in front of the goalie. We are great at screening our own goalie though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
As many of have said. They let the first goal in and completely wilted.

Why is this team so mentally fragile?

It's bizarre when you consider how many times we won games when giving up the first goal earlier in the season.

I know it's kind of impossible to say one moment started it all, but this team just really hasn't been the same since those 2 goals in 16 seconds in Anaheim. It's like they have PTSD and it gets triggered when they get scored on.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe should acquire a big guy in the top 6 like Hanzal?

You don't get rentals when you're 9000 points out of a playoff spot.

I can't believe we have 30 more home games left, this season's gonna be a nightmare to be a STH. At least in a normal season they'd have about 20-25 left. But management/ticket ops can go **** off for wanting this early schedule so they wouldn't have to worry about dead crowds pre-Christmas, they deserve this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad