GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ St. Louis Blues, 8 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Shocking that the goon with 2 pts in 12 AHL games didn't help this team win a hockey game against a bigger, faster, more talented team.

Leafs already only one point behind us. :laugh:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I just feel bad for Hal, goes through a rebuild and gets traded, while the team is about to turn the corner and finally make the playoffs to a team that needs another's how many years to get there.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Shocking that the goon with 2 pts in 12 AHL games didn't help this team win a hockey game against a bigger, faster, more talented team.

Leafs already only one point behind us. :laugh:

True, but this team's problems go deeper than whether or not Gazdic or Bennett is in the lineup. It's a team wide breakdown of structure, and that's what scares me. It's not just the fourth line or third pairing getting caught in a bad spot, it's the whole damn team.

And there's nothing to lean on defensively either. At least last year you knew Greene/Larsson were going to take care of business in their own end, and if they didn't you knew Cory was going to be there. Now, there's not a single pairing I trust in their own end and who knows what Cory is going to stop or not.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Shero needs to go down to the locker room and tell those guys that if you don't want to play your heart out or you want to mope and feel sorry for yourself, then you can go the **** home. I'm sure there are a few guys in the AHL who would LOVE to be in your position.

That team stopped trying after the first period.

As much as their scratches were puzzling, there's another reason why Bennett and Parenteau found themselves in the doghouse.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Hynes should write a book: "An Idiot's Guide to Turning a 2 Goal Lead into a 5-2 Loss."

At least the losses under Pete tended to be close games, not blowouts...Good times...Good times...

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hynes has completely looked out of place. Seems to have no ability to motivate nor does he make ANY lineup changes that make sense.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Hynes has completely looked out of place. Seems to have no ability to motivate nor does he make ANY lineup changes that make sense.

This reminds me an awful lot of the death spiral we went into after the hot start during the shortened 2013 season.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This reminds me an awful lot of the death spiral we went into after the hot start during the shortened 2013 season.

Doesn't it? I just hate hearing the same rhetoric over and over about we didn't do enough to win. Yeah, no ****.Youre coaching yourself out of a job. How about you say we aren't getting the production across the board from the guys we need to have produce.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

He looks like a castaway trying not to drown after his ship has sunk, flailing and lost. He does not look like a leader of men. No motivation or inspiration coming from him.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
He looks like a castaway trying not to drown after his ship has sunk, flailing and lost. He does not look like a leader of men. No motivation or inspiration coming from him.

It's more or less like what happened during DeBoer's final season with us. Once a coach tries everything he knows how to do but it has no impact then you know the problems run deep. We don't even have injuries as an excuse. I wish I knew what the answer was.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's more or less like what happened during DeBoer's final season with us. Once a coach tries everything he knows how to do but it has no impact then you know the problems run deep. We don't even have injuries as an excuse. I wish I knew what the answer was.

Like with DeBoer, I think the issues have to go beyond coaching (but, even more so than with Pete, I think coaching has to be part of the problem, because at least with Pete, the games tended to be close, not blowouts) into talent and player motivation. However, it's pretty clear that Hynes is just not able to get through to this team in terms of accountability or systems or work ethic. A change just has to be made because this is unacceptable, but I doubt it will be a cure-all.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
And posters jumped on me yesterday when I posted

"Hynes is lost and he has lost this team."

Read some of the posts in this thread (saying the same thing in so many words) I think I am right.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

Read some of the posts in this thread (saying the same thing in so many words) I think I am right.

After New Years Day the toughest part of the schedule is done. Not that we are making the playoffs, but the 2nd half of the season will be re-evaluation time for both players and coaches (again).

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I sympathize. Same thing happened to me. Hynes truly was lost. Some people just needed another blowout for proof.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I still don't see Hynes getting fired during the season unless this trend continues heavily into the 2nd half of the year, with our home-heavy schedule.

Miles Wood is turning into a leader:

“I think we had some great zone time, we just didn’t get pucks to the net and try to screen him,” Wood said of Blues goalie Jake Allen. “When the defense was shooting to the net, there was no guy there in front to screen the goalie so we made it super easy for him. Overall, we’ve just got to keep on shooting and, hopefully, things will start to turn for us.”“I thought we just took a step back,” Wood said. “We didn’t come out in the second with the same fire as we did in the first. That’s a big thing in the pro game, being very consistent each game, each period, each shift and we struggled with that tonight.”

“It’s certainly tough for us,” Wood said. “I’m mad about the situation. I want to change it. I’m trying to get a win for the guys and help them out as much as I can.”

http://www.northjersey.com/story/sp...notes-wood-mad-gazdics-plays-little/95508070/

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Honestly, if Hynes has lost the team, the team can go **** itself. There's no reason they should have just decided to tune him out after last season + the first 15 this year when we were winning.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Knew this thread would be a good read today :popcorn:

I saw the fourth Blues goal and that is just life for Schneider right now.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The fact that Miles Wood is essentially the only player to have said anything remotely close to being a leader is a true testament to how little leadership there is.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Wood was the lone bright spot, I thought that line was about as effective as you could be in a game like that. Not saying very much, but I'd keep that line together next game.

Give Hall and Zajac someone else. I know they tried Cammy in the 3rd but I'm not sure that's the answer. Maybe give Bennett a shot.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I just don't see Hynes being fired at this point, seems a bit knee jerk to me. He's Shero's guy after all and was brought in to implement his vision of how he wants this team to play, he hasn't been around that long at all. I'm not saying something shouldn't be done but scrapping things this early doesn't seem like a good idea.

Now there are some fundamental flaws that RG brought up that don't look good but these players have to take a ton of the blame too. They really need to sack up figure it out, I don't mind losing if they are actually giving their best effort and playing with some emotion but seeing them a little ho hum when getting their ***** kicked really bothers me. If they are indeed tuning him out than yeah that is very troublesome, not many ways to deal with that other than the obvious.

I'm with you, Hynes will almost certainly be here to stay for the rest of the season no matter the result. If things continue to spiral downward the rest of this year like they've been or if the end result winds up as a step back from last year, then I think we'll see Hynes on the hot seat to start next season.

Shero isn't going to change direction on his plan this early. What we have had to fix organizationally isn't an overnight fix and he understands that so the rush isn't there to just fire Hynes this early. With a bigger sample size such as the two seasons and a potential step back, then you start keeping a closer eye on things.

At this point our reactions aren't even over-reactions. This has been a solid months worth of the same thing, 14 games which is close to 1/4 of the season.

What game-breaking talent, Elias and Kovalchuk? Hall's better than Kovalchuk and Camm's close enough to that version of Elias production-wise. Or Zajac, whoever you want to throw in as our #2 forward now. Honestly it's not that far off considering they had no Parise and didn't have 'lucky Clarkson' then.

Definitely close enough. That no name defense Jmac had was also pretty bad.

Aside from Kovy, Elias, and Zajac, we had Arnott who was actually a bright spot for us in that down swing, Zubrus who was always consistent, Rolston although not what he was, was still useful. Tedenby and Nick Palmieri came in and made impacts. On defense we were better than the year prior (which was a very competitive season save for some issues after Langenbrunner soured) having added Volchenkov and Tallinder in favor of Mottau and Mark Fraser, and Mark Fayne came in and made a nice impact.

The roster for the most part was there that season. It goes without saying Lemaire was a great coach, however things clicked quite quickly after he took over because he put an actual system in place for a roster that was already good. The most frustrating part of whatever game plan Mac was running, was that the defense when transferring from the neutral zone to our offensive zone, played between the red/blue lines and no further. All of those dump and chases were so quickly over turned because we essentially had a 3 on 5.

That start under Mac still makes me shudder.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I do not think it is justifiable to fire Hynes when he has this crappy roster just above NHL .500 at this point

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Bring up Helgeson. Need more grit. Or maybe we could use NHL players on our NHL team? I'm not sure.

Would definitely consider giving Santini/Mozik a shot. Literally couldn't be worse than Moore/Merrill.

And yea, Wood is definitely a bright spot in this sea of garbage. Looks like at the very least he'll be a solid bottom 6 guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad