Your Favourite Devils Moment

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Unfortunately it gets overlooked due to some of the horrificness that occured in several games in the first round, but the 08-09 regular season was a very solid team and a very fun team at that, especially finishing with the most wins we've ever had in a season while we were without one of the best goalies in league history for a large portion of the season.

Reactions: Bleedred and Aethon

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Was browsing and even though I'm a rival fan I have some pretty awesome Devils memories

I went to the game when they raised Niedermayer's number and that was a class act ceremony and well done overall. My best friend is a Devils fan but she invited me to go because I was one of her only friends who understood/appreciated hockey/would cancel all plans for hockey. It was my first ever game where I saw a number get retired but probably the best one I've seen yet, and the game after was very good. Think it was like 6-2 or 6-3 win against the Stars. Someone had given me a Devils cap for free and I still have it. I have never seen someone else with the same one either.

Reactions: Bleedred and Payce

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Unfortunately it gets overlooked due to some of the horrificness that occured in several games in the first round, but the 08-09 regular season was a very solid team and a very fun team at that, especially finishing with the most wins we've ever had in a season while we were without one of the best goalies in league history for a large portion of the season.
08/09 was probably the most fun regular season. The playoffs that year however were the most devastating I've ever experienced as a fan and I try to forget that year completely because of it.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Arnott in OT is the top of the mountain, but 2nd place might be Patty's late game backbreaker in Game 7 vs the Flyers that year. John LeClair's face on the bench is what defeat looks like.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
08/09 was probably the most fun regular season. The playoffs that year however were the most devastating I've ever experienced as a fan and I try to forget that year completely because of it.
Most of that last game is fuzzy but i remember the last seconds. Watching from my knees and the single tear rolling down my face. Even Game 6 of 2012 didn't do that and we were 2 game away. Just the spectacular fashion we messed that up going from ecstatic to heartbreak.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I was fortunate enough to be in the Stands for game 4 against Detroit in 95. Best moment to me was Sarge’s goal since that signaled to me the Devils were actually going to win.

Second favorite moment was attending banner raising game the next season - against Montreal? - ceremonial opening face off between STEVENS and someone else. David Puddy drops the puck wearing a sweater. STEVENS starts to skate away and Puddy rips off the sweater to reveal a big D painted on his chest. Crowd goes wild. Devils lost the game but that one moment was amazing to this Seinfeld fan.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
So many but quick takes are:

At a game, without a doubt Henrique it's over! (thank you Doc for immortalizing that so finely). That was definitely the deepest in the playoffs game I attended until the series vs LA.

In TV, 2000 finals double OT watching while laying on the floor of my parents' bedroom (they're not really hockey fans and were asleep). Smallest TV in the house but was too afraid to attempt to switch rooms and miss anything. Probably woke them up when Arnott scored but unfortunately can't recall it now.

Bonus worst but still makes me laugh (with a sigh) memory:

2009 game 7 vs Carolina I'm watching on a semi reliable stream while at school in Atlanta. Stream freezes after Carolina ties it. Unfreezes and I see a puck going past Marty but the angle looks a bit different. Please be a replay, please be a replay I'm thinking.

Last edited:

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
well then before
2009 game 7 vs Carolina I'm watching on a semi reliable stream while at school in Atlanta. Stream freezes after Carolina ties it. Unfreezes and I see a puck going past Marty but the angle looks a bit different. Please be a replay said:
i'm kind of surprised people are bringing this up but not really. i was doing homework and it was the first time i ever got really mad over a sporting event. after the second goal, i think it was stall, i went back to my desk and chucked my highlighter against the wall. shattering it to a million pieces. but i guess it also made us realize how much we like this team.

the zele goal is a great one too. amazing how many memories this team has given fans over the years.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I became a fan in 2008-09, so I don't really remember the glory days. I do remember falling asleep in front of the TV as a little guy with my dad and being woken up to the news we won the Cup. Think that was in 2000, though I'm not really sure. It was cool, but I didn't really understand what it meant.

So my favorite memory has to be the Henrique goal in OT against the Rangers. I just wanted to win a round that year, I didn't think we'd go to the finals at all. That whole run really was magical.

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Aside from the awesome moments the cups provided of course, I'll go old school cause I'm old lol. After being with the team since the beginning and enduring how crappy they were, finally seeing us make the playoffs for the first time in 88 in OT in the last game of the season was pretty special, just a crazy run actually, all the way through into the conference finals.

One of my favorite memories from back then was seeing Patrik Sundstrom set a playoff record with 8 points (3 goals, 5 assists) in a game was f***ing insane, first time I threw my hat on the ice for a hat trick. Good old Brendan Byrne, man I miss tailgating there.

The Schoenfeld/Koharski donut fiasco was pretty nuts too, would have made for some great memes today haha. I'll never forget having replacement refs in yellow jerseys for game 4 of the conference finals.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Most of that last game is fuzzy but i remember the last seconds. Watching from my knees and the single tear rolling down my face. Even Game 6 of 2012 didn't do that and we were 2 game away. Just the spectacular fashion we messed that up going from ecstatic to heartbreak.

I remember I was watching it and talking up the team to s friend who was watching with me. I turned to stone and utter silence for a good hour after the game ended.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was browsing and even though I'm a rival fan I have some pretty awesome Devils memories

I went to the game when they raised Niedermayer's number and that was a class act ceremony and well done overall. My best friend is a Devils fan but she invited me to go because I was one of her only friends who understood/appreciated hockey/would cancel all plans for hockey. It was my first ever game where I saw a number get retired but probably the best one I've seen yet, and the game after was very good. Think it was like 6-2 or 6-3 win against the Stars. Someone had given me a Devils cap for free and I still have it. I have never seen someone else with the same one either.
Go away troll!

We're friends, I'm only kidding!:P

The Niedermayer game is actually the only jersey retirement for the Devils that I didn't attend in person. I'll be 4 for 5 if I go to the Elias one, which is currently the plan.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I did enjoy that season, but I thought maybe we slightly overachieved, for the fact that Clemmensen wasn't really as good as he played that season. Thankfully his hot streak kept us in first place, but we probably had our best team on paper that year between 2005-2011. If Marty had went down the season before that or possibly even the season before that , we would have been f***ed. We were shutout like 11 or 12 times in 07-08 and that was arguably the best season of Marty's career. Even better than 06-07, if you ask me, which might have been his second best season ever. He had like 12 shutouts in 06-07, to slightly prop up his save percentage that year. While he only had 4 shutouts in 07-08 and had a save percentage just 2 points lower. He was a beast in 07-08. Probably could have won the Hart Trophy, and I always cringed when I had to hear how Nabokov should have won the Vezina that year. It wasn't even close. Nabokov had 45 wins while barely playing average, Marty won all those games while standing on his head that year and being one of the best players in the entire league, let alone the best goalie.

I'm still a bit sour at how that 2008-2009 season ended. Sutter had to sell out and go with the checking line, and Pandolfo had been abysmal that entire year and was never the same again, and Madden was 36 and no longer a legit elite shutdown forward anymore. And Sutter didn't use them as such during the regular season or even for most of that series, but then he traveled back to 2003, while Pandolfo and Madden (and Colin White) stayed behind in 2009, where they were no longer good defensive players.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Go away troll!

We're friends, I'm only kidding!:P

The Niedermayer game is actually the only jersey retirement for the Devils that I didn't attend in person. I'll be 4 for 5 if I go to the Elias one, which is currently the plan.

:laugh: If I get the job I'm going to interview for I should have enough money to visit again and maybe get to that game too. I'm hoping I can because the last jersey retirement night was super fun. If NJT or Amtrak call me back I can just move back into my house off of 34 which would be even better but small steps. I lurk a lot here but usually don't say much. You guys are more fun than my team's board.

The night after Nieds' jersey retirement was eventful too. We had to walk back to our houses because our ride dipped out and to this day we still have no explanation from her. It was pretty cold and like 11:30 at night when we got off the train. Since that game started and ended late we missed the train we normally took which left at like 9:45 ish and had to sit an hour to 10:45. That sucked but was lots of fun too.

Another kind of funny one was when I went to an Islanders-Devils game some really obnoxious Isles fan was cursing it up and wouldn't quiet down the whole time until the third period. Some guy threw a plastic bottle from about 15 rows up and got the guy. It wasn't full or heavy or anything by the time the bottle reached the guy but it was funny. I remember weir stuff from every game I go to, regardless of teams in them. Like the one I told you about with McKenna :laugh:

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Only games I was present for:

Lemieux breaking the deadlock late in the 3rd of G6 vs Philly in 2000

[Then a big gap of almost meaningless games I actually attended with memorable moments].

Devils 8 Rangers 5 - the f***ers came back from 5-1 down but luckily we put them out of their misery

St. Patty's Day...or Marty's Day - enough said.

Kovalchuk's first game

Game 2 vs Philadelphia 2010 - great atmosphere and good game too

Kovalchuk's shootout attempt in 2010 (for the laughs)

Rock bottom vs the Islanders in 2010 (for the misery loves company angle)

Kovalchuk's OT goal vs Pittsburgh 2011

Zajac and Henrique's heroics for obvious reasons

[massive gap of truly meaningful hockey games]

And here we are

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

I was at game 7. Talk about having a sober hangover the next morning to say the least. That will always be one of the more grueling sports losses for me as fan of the teams I root for, right next to the Yanks blowing the 3-0 lead against the Sox in 2004. Anyway enough of the negativity;

The magic the ZZPops line had, the size and toughness the combo of Rupp, Shanahan and Holik had on the 4th line, coupled in with a solid 2nd and 3rd line core of forwards - a shame it ended like it did.

Last edited:

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
I was fortunate enough to be in the Stands for game 4 against Detroit in 95. Best moment to me was Sarge’s goal since that signaled to me the Devils were actually going to win.

Second favorite moment was attending banner raising game the next season - against Montreal? - ceremonial opening face off between STEVENS and someone else. David Puddy drops the puck wearing a sweater. STEVENS starts to skate away and Puddy rips off the sweater to reveal a big D painted on his chest. Crowd goes wild. Devils lost the game but that one moment was amazing to this Seinfeld fan.

That game was against Florida and we won 4-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad