Your Favourite Devils Moment

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Game 7 vs the Flyers in 2000, game 7 vs the Sens in 2003 and game 5 vs the Rangers in 2012, all had a similar vibe and ending. We seemed to be getting outplayed pretty mightily late in regulation in these games, at least in the 2003 game and the one in 2012. We blew a 3 goal lead in the 2012 game 5 and had almost gotten scored on quite a few times just minutes before Friesen scored in 2003. And we scored a late game winner in regulation in the final minutes of regulation in all of these games. I think it was under 3 minutes left in both the 2000 and 2003 ECF game 7's and it was maybe with 5-6 minutes left in the 2012 ECF in game 5 against the Rangers. That reminded me a lot of 2000 and 2003 at the time. The biggest difference was that it wasn't a series clinching game in 2012.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Who remembers Mel Bridgeman's OT goal vs the Rags that capped a 4 goal 3rd period comeback?

November 2, 1985

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Arnott goal: One of my college roommates at the time was from Texas and had gotten into hockey the previous year when the Stars had won (funny to think now that the Stars had been in Dallas for only a short time by then). So that added a bit of extra fun to it. I've told the story before about how I was having a tough time in college academically, but I had turned it around that semester. I always felt like that Devils squad embodied my personal life to some degree.

Friesen goal: Being in San Diego, I had already started making plans with my cousin (Ducks fan) to catch a game once the Ducks advanced and the Devils were up 3-1. So I felt bad like I had angered the hockey gods by assuming we'd close out Ottawa.

When Elias scored in ECF 2000 game 7, I was in stunned silence. Maybe it was from the team being down 3-1 in the series and it was the opposite scenario against Ottawa. When Friesen scored, I let out an awkward scream......precisely as a new roommate (who I didn't know well) walked by my room. I like to think that was his only memory of me.

Reactions: Bleedred

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
My wife took me to Montreal a couple seasons ago to see the Devils play the Habs on my birthday. The Devils were losing 2-0 with around 10 mins to go in the 3rd. Elias tipped in a Larsson shot to make it 2-1 and then Palmieri tied it with under a minute. Moore won it in ot after Henrique dropped a pass to him while on a breakaway.

Great game and a great experience. We went out out and got hammered afterwards and got some nasty poutine. I'm pretty sure another Devils fan was conceived that night too. Haha.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Arnott goal: One of my college roommates at the time was from Texas and had gotten into hockey the previous year when the Stars had won (funny to think now that the Stars had been in Dallas for only a short time by then). So that added a bit of extra fun to it. I've told the story before about how I was having a tough time in college academically, but I had turned it around that semester. I always felt like that Devils squad embodied my personal life to some degree.

Friesen goal: Being in San Diego, I had already started making plans with my cousin (Ducks fan) to catch a game once the Ducks advanced and the Devils were up 3-1. So I felt bad like I had angered the hockey gods by assuming we'd close out Ottawa.

When Elias scored in ECF 2000 game 7, I was in stunned silence. Maybe it was from the team being down 3-1 in the series and it was the opposite scenario against Ottawa. When Friesen scored, I let out an awkward scream......precisely as a new roommate (who I didn't know well) walked by my room. I like to think that was his only memory of me.
I feel like the 03 team really helped me through a dark time in 02-03. I had just split up with my girlfriend of 5+ years in November/December of 2002. That was the first serious girlfriend I ever had, and after almost 15 years, I'm still yet to find one that I've ever felt half as crazy about. So I remember probably going through the closest thing I'd ever consider depression. I'll always remember the night we lost to Detroit in 02-03, on a controversial non-goal in OT, which they then came back around to score the OT winner. The game is actually talked about on the 03 cup DVD. It's been a while since I watched it, but I think Stevens was mad at Friesen for being happy with ''Just a point'' in that game. Friesen talks about it in the DVD. Pat Burns brought a copy of the league rulebook to the presser that night, and said something like ''This is hockeytown and we know a lot of funny calls are made here in hockeytown'' which made me laugh my ass off. I remember laughing hysterically, while she snapped at me and told me that she hated that all I paid attention to was ''This stupid game'' and she even said something like ''I could be sitting here naked and all you would care about is this stupid game!''. And then she even said something like ''You get more turned on by watching Brodeur and this hockey team than you do by me!''. That was cold, but kind of funny. I laughed after she said that, like it was some joke, not knowing that was pretty much the end for us. That was pretty much the beginning of the very end, which lasted another week or two.

All I did for the rest of that season was lock myself in my room and watch hockey, or go to games at the Meadowlands. Hung out with friends occasionally. The cup win capped off what was mostly a miserable year for me in my personal life, but a VERY good year for me watching hockey. I think the only time I smiled for a while, was watching that 02-03 team.

The 2000 cup win was still probably the best time for me, but I have a soft spot for the 03 team for getting me through a rough time.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
For me, my favorite Devil moment being at the 4th game sweep of Detroit for the '95 Cup. The shaking of the cement at Continental Arena cause by the excitement of the Devils fans. Can still feel the shake.

Reactions: Colin226

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Elias scoring the gwg against the Flyers back in the 2000 Eastern Conference Finals. Coming back from down 3-1 and the fact it was the Flyers. No goal gave me more joy than that one in the moment at least. You would think the cup winning goal would be a fonder memory, but idk there was something about that goal.

Reactions: Colin226 and mtnet

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Rallying back from being almost down and out in that series to beat the flyers is one of my favorites as well. Because, flyers...

Reactions: Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Rallying back from being almost down and out in that series to beat the flyers is one of my favorites as well. Because, flyers...

Seriously that's still my favorite series of all time for us. I'm always surprised at how it seems the fanbase is more fond of the Friesen goal against the Senators in 2003. The goals were both almost in the exact situation, but the Elias goal meant so much more for the organization in my opinion. We had four seasons prior where we didn't perform up to the standards of how much talent was on the team when it came playoff time. I still remember jumping for joy and screaming outside. I was only 13 at and just being able to shove it in my ranger fans friends face was so gratifying. I used to get so much crap for the the Devils not making it past the first two rounds when they were the 1st seed from 97-99. That goal changed the perception of the organization in my opinion.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Being upstairs at the old barn when they hoisted the cup in '95 after having suffered through '94 has got to be it. The suffering with obnoxious Rags fans at work, at home, in the street, brawls in the parking lot, brawls in the cattle chute, brawls in the hallways... 1994 was a beautiful and rough, rough year and the sweet redemption of the next year - going through Philly to do it, as well... made everything golden for quite a long time after that cup was lifted.

Seeing Stevens level Lindros and turn that series around also has to be up there. It was just one of those sports moments that you knew were iconic as you saw it unfold.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Being upstairs at the old barn when they hoisted the cup in '95 after having suffered through '94 has got to be it. The suffering with obnoxious Rags fans at work, at home, in the street, brawls in the parking lot, brawls in the cattle chute, brawls in the hallways... 1994 was a beautiful and rough, rough year and the sweet redemption of the next year - going through Philly to do it, as well... made everything golden for quite a long time after that cup was lifted.

Seeing Stevens level Lindros and turn that series around also has to be up there. It was just one of those sports moments that you knew were iconic as you saw it unfold.
Well put. The series against the Rag's in 1994 is the best hockey I've ever watched. And I can only say that without crying because we won the next season, and then again 2 more times after.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The '95 playoffs can never be replicated.
What a great team we had that year.
HOF players, highly skilled, fast, tough, 4 solid lines that can score, character and heart.

And we were somehow considered underdogs in all 4 series.

The whole Nashville thing was a black cloud around that time which was constantly held over us by Rags fans in and out of the media.

It made each series win even more special for us fans.

Anyone else go to the Tick Tock Diner the morning before Game 3 of the Finals , they were giving away a few pair of tickets for fans who can eat Octopus.

I arrived early but it was still way too late, fans must have gotten there before the sun came up.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The '95 playoffs can never be replicated.
What a great team we had that year.
HOF players, highly skilled, fast, tough, 4 solid lines that can score, character and heart.

And we were somehow considered underdogs in all 4 series.

The whole Nashville thing was a black cloud around that time which was constantly held over us by Rags fans in and out of the media.

It made each series win even more special for us fans.

Anyone else go to the Tick Tock Diner the morning before Game 3 of the Finals , they were giving away a few pair of tickets for fans who can eat Octopus.

I arrived early but it was still way too late, fans must have gotten there before the sun came up.
I probably would have tried the octopus. I can't even remember if I've eaten it before. I've tried so much weird seafood haha.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The entire first period of that 6-4 win over the Flyers in Feb of 2012 when the Devils went up 6-0 halfway through the game. The Flyers just completely unraveled and it was a joy to watch. Zubrus took down Giroux on the PK, there was no call, and then Kovalchuk scored on the odd-man rush to make 2-0. At the end of the period, Hartnell was hacking away at Ponikarovsky in the corner and then tries to hit him when the puck is nowhere near the play. Ponikarovsky dodges the hit, and to top it off, Zubrus scores as the time expires from exactly where Hartnell should've been if he wasn't being a complete clown. You would think Hartnell will stop there, but you would be wrong. He continues on to cross-check Bernier in the face after the Devils score, taking a penalty, which Parise scores on in the beginning of the second to make it 4-0.

That Flyers team in 2011-12 was so mentally fragile it was comical.

Reactions: Colin226

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The entire first period of that 6-4 win over the Flyers in Feb of 2012 when the Devils went up 6-0 halfway through the game. The Flyers just completely unraveled and it was a joy to watch. Zubrus took down Giroux on the PK, there was no call, and then Kovalchuk scored on the odd-man rush to make 2-0. At the end of the period, Hartnell was hacking away at Ponikarovsky in the corner and then tries to hit him when the puck is nowhere near the play. Ponikarovsky dodges the hit, and to top it off, Zubrus scores as the time expires from exactly where Hartnell should've been if he wasn't being a complete clown. You would think Hartnell will stop there, but you would be wrong. He continues on to cross-check Bernier in the face after the Devils score, taking a penalty, which Parise scores on in the beginning of the second to make it 4-0.

That Flyers team in 2011-12 was so mentally fragile it was comical.
I remember that game.

We were up 6-0 after the 2nd period, then hung on for dear life to win 6-4. I don't remember the exact time, but it seemed like the Flyers scored 4 goals in under 10 minutes. Kovalchuk dropped Brayden Schenn during the middle of all that.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I remember that game.

We were up 6-0 after the 2nd period, then hung on for dear life to win 6-4. I don't remember the exact time, but it seemed like the Flyers scored 4 goals in under 10 minutes. Kovalchuk dropped Brayden Schenn during the middle of all that.

Dirt bag Rinaldo slew footed ZP prior to the fighting.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Game-7 at the Cap Centre in Landover MD in 1988 is an all time great Devils game.

Wash was really good back then. Legitimate Cup contenders.

Upstart Devils sent the home crowd home unhappy after Johnny Mac deflected a point shot home late in the 3rd.

Sean Burke made many big-time saves to preserve the win and send the Devils to the ECF.

In this Wash series, Devils Forward Patrik Sundstrom tallied 8 points in a single game.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
2010 first half was a disaster and even tho they didn't make the playoffs the second half of that season was very enjoyable

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Being at the Henrique "it's over" win in 2012 has to be it for me. Especially because I was there with my brother who got me into following the team back in the late 90's, and he first bought our season tickets in 2009.

Unfortunately I was too young to truly appreciate our glory days, and I missed the Marty 552 game :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad