Your Favourite Devils Moment

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Being at the Henrique "it's over" win in 2012 has to be it for me. Especially because I was there with my brother who got me into following the team back in the late 90's, and he first bought our season tickets in 2009.

Unfortunately I was too young to truly appreciate our glory days, and I missed the Marty 552 game :(

if you were there for that goal you were part of the glory days. mightve been the last till now but its still in there. was literally the end of us losing to the rags in the postseason over and over :)
thats why docs call was so special. 'its over'

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
if you were there for that goal you were part of the glory days.

Glory days? No, losing does not equate to glory days.

The teams that won the 3 Stanley Cups were the "glory days" of New Jersey Devils hockey. The 10 year period circa 1994-2004 when they always had a chance to win. Those were glory days.

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
My new favorite moment will be Devils hockey returning after a week long hiatus in OCTOBER...good lord.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Glory days? No, losing does not equate to glory days.

The teams that won the 3 Stanley Cups were the "glory days" of New Jersey Devils hockey. The 10 year period circa 1994-2004 when they always had a chance to win. Those were glory days.
One can easily argue that the 2004-2012 teams always had a chance to win.

...because they did have a chance.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
One can easily argue that the 2004-2012 teams always had a chance to win.

...because they did have a chance.

But they didn't.

And not winning = no glory days.

Especially when you're grossly underachieving to boot. Repeatedly finishing as Division Champions and losing in the First Round = no glory days. This is kind of silly.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
The Henrique goal. I’m 31. Witnessed winning 3 cups. Beating the Rangers when we weren’t expected to was better. Marty standing on his head when everyone said his career was over was better. Lundqvist crying was better.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Henrique goal. I’m 31. Witnessed winning 3 cups. Beating the Rangers when we weren’t expected to was better. Marty standing on his head when everyone said his career was over was better. Lundqvist crying was better.

And then you have the completely ridiculous comments from people whom for years I've referred to not as Devils fans, but as DevilsRangers fans.

These are the people who out of the 41 home games, only attend the 2 Rangers games, and maybe 1 or 2 other rando game, but you can be sure they'll be at the Rangers games.

They completely obsess over everything Rangers & root against the Rangers almost as much or more than they root FOR the Devils.
People whose avatars & signatures.are actually of RANGERS players.

Mutley being the most famous example on this board, but there are others. What date was Mutley banned? I imagine he still posts here under the handle of one of our other DevilsRangers fans.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I was at game 7. Talk about having a sober hangover the next morning to say the least. That will always be one of the more grueling sports losses for me as fan of the teams I root for, right next to the Yanks blowing the 3-0 lead against the Sox in 2004. Anyway enough of the negativity;

The magic the ZZPops line had, the size and toughness the combo of Rupp, Shanahan and Holik had on the 4th line, coupled in with a solid 2nd and 3rd line core of forwards - a shame it ended like it did.

Wow that 08-09 team was so much fun, that was probably my favorite regular season ever (even with the loss of Brodeur midway through). So many memories.

If they would have hung on to win game 7 I guarantee you that team would have at least made it to the conference finals, maybe even the finals. All the pieces were in place and they were that good. ZZPops was unstoppable.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
And then you have the completely ridiculous comments from people whom for years I've referred to not as Devils fans, but as DevilsRangers fans.

These are the people who out of the 41 home games, only attend the 2 Rangers games, and maybe 1 or 2 other rando game, but you can be sure they'll be at the Rangers games.

They completely obsess over everything Rangers & root against the Rangers almost as much or more than they root FOR the Devils.
People whose avatars & signatures.are actually of RANGERS players.

Mutley being the most famous example on this board, but there are others. What date was Mutley banned? I imagine he still posts here under the handle of one of our other DevilsRangers fans.
Yeah. I hate teams that I hate more than I love teams that I love. Goes for the Rangers, the Yankees, the Knicks, Inter Milan, you name it.

I’m hardly alone. Some of the loudest chants at Barclays and Prudential are “Rangers suck”.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yeah. I hate teams that I hate more than I love teams that I love. Goes for the Rangers, the Yankees, the Knicks, Inter Milan, you name it.

Yes, the DevilsRangers fan, as I call them.

And it's just bizarre to me. You enjoy rooting against the Rangers more than you enjoy seeing the Devils win. I'll never understand it.

Reactions: Bleedred

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
But they didn't.

Especially when you're grossly underachieving to boot. Repeatedly finishing as Division Champions and losing in the First Round = no glory days. This is kind of silly.
Had a 'chance'.

A perennial divisional winner with a multi time Veznia winner in that span did have a CHANCE.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Reactions: BenedictGomez

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We really blew it in 2009.
Had a very deep team that could have beaten Pitts.
So many odd man rush chances in the 3rd in Game 7 to seal that game away.

Damn Rawly , still hate them for that.
I still hate Brent Sutter for that game, and I'm glad he's irrelevant as ever, and is up in Alberta, only with a coaching position because he owns the damn team.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
3 straight playoffs running we ran into THE team we didn't want in the 1st round.

08 - Rangers. Even with 4 extra games we couldn't manage to beat them even once in regulation in 12 attempts.

09 - Hurricanes. Not sure the season series but they bring it in the playoffs and wiped the floor with us a few years earlier which was definitely on their mind when it got tough in Raleigh.

10 - Flyers. If I recall it was the final day shootout win over the Rangers that set the stage otherwise if they lost we would've had Montreal.

Isnt this supposed to be about favourite moments not laments?

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
But they didn't.

3 straight playoffs running we ran into THE team we didn't want in the 1st round.

08 - Rangers. Even with 4 extra games we couldn't manage to beat them even once in regulation in 12 attempts.

09 - Hurricanes. Not sure the season series but they bring it in the playoffs and wiped the floor with us a few years earlier which was definitely on their mind when it got tough in Raleigh.

10 - Flyers. If I recall it was the final day shootout win over the Rangers that set the stage otherwise if they lost we would've had Montreal.

Isnt this supposed to be about favourite moments not laments?

I thought in 10 if we weren't gonna face the Flyers, we would be facing the Bruins

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes, the DevilsRangers fan, as I call them.

And it's just bizarre to me. You enjoy rooting against the Rangers more than you enjoy seeing the Devils win. I'll never understand it.
I agree. There seems to be a few fans here that are more worried about seeing the Rangers lose than the Devils win. Someone else admitted they hated the Rangers as much as they love the Devils. I'm sure there's a few of those types in every fanbase.

I don't understand this either. Those are the types of people who would root against the Rangers late in the regular season, if we needed them to win a game for us to make the playoffs. They'd rather see the Rangers lose, than them win a game, which we need them to win to help us make the playoffs. I remember some idiot giving me shit back in 1996, for rooting for the Rangers to win a game late in that regular season, when they were playing a team that we needed to lose, if we were gonna make the playoffs. I don't even remember who they were playing, or if they even won the game or not. That was our one playoff miss in that 15 year stretch. I remember how ridiculous that dude sounded for mocking me for cheering the Rangers, even though it was for our benefit. The dude was happier with the Rangers losing a meaningless regular season game, than he would have been if we made the playoffs that year. That was absolutely pathetic to me.

I bet that f***er doesn't watch the Devils anymore.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Someone else admitted they hated the Rangers as much as they love the Devils. I'm sure there's a few of those types in every fanbase.
I’m one of them. If someone offered me a repeat of the mid 90s where the Rags are guaranteed to win the cup this year and we’re guaranteed to win the cup next year I’d say no deal.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m one of them. If someone offered me a repeat of the mid 90s where the Rags are guaranteed to win the cup this year and we’re guaranteed to win the cup next year I’d say no deal.
Great

I say that’s lame as f***, no sugarcoating it at all.

I’m a Devils fan, I love the Devils more than I hate the Rangers.

I’d be fine with the Rangers winning the cup, if we won next year. Besides, we’d have 4 cups in 24 years, while they had 2 cups in 25 years.

Although, I’d hope it didn’t also mean that we had to lose to them again in the ECF, en route to their cup win.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I respect your opinion, I just don't share it. My journey to becoming a Devils fan doesn't originate with living in Jersey or loving Brodeur or any of that. I come from a Ranger fan family and many of them were assholes to me growing up. I was told to become an Islander fan because I didn't deserve to be part of Rangertown. I was living in New York City. I later moved to New Jersey, but it's not like I was able to go to games. So everyone's fandom comes from their own personal experiences. I got a Messier shirt and a Gretzky poster from my parents even after I told my family I don't like the Rangers. To me, hating the Rangers predates loving the Devils. The year I decided to be a Devils fan was the year Matteau made my life a living hell. The next year it was more of a relief that I didn't have to be mocked incessantly again than it was pride that we won it all. I'm not old enough to have experienced "Mickey Mouse organization" and I didn't live through the dark ages before Brodeur.

Fandom is complicated. I don't expect you to see things exactly the same way I do. Hell, my own sister says she hates the Flyers more than the Rangers because she grew up in Jersey and most of her asshole friends are Flyer fans. But to me, it's not even close. I had a girl break up with me because I made the mistake of wearing a Devils t-shirt. Being a Devils fan in New York is more about hating the Rangers than anything else. Because you have to deal with Ranger fans every day talking about how their Original Six team is so much better than yours and how their history is richer despite one since 1940. And even when you've got the best goalie in the league and you're in the playoffs every year, it doesn't matter because your team plays in a swamp and half the crowd is rooting for the other team when they come to your building. There's my thought-process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devils Dominion

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
In person was win 552 for Marty.

In general was the 00 and 03 cup wins since I actually remember them, I was only 10 for the 95 win. I do however remember crying like a girl the year before when Matteau scored.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
For me, I have to say it was that OT win to get to the finals in 2012. That run was just amazing to root for. And this coming from someone who doesn't live in the metropolitan area so didn't come up thru the NYR rivalry - so I can't even imagine how those of you who were would have felt.

I was only 10 in the 2000 win, although I do remember going nuts for that - but at that age you still don't have a true appreciation for the game. Even at age 13 for the 2003 run, still feel the same way.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
For me, I have to say it was that OT win to get to the finals in 2012. That run was just amazing to root for. And this coming from someone who doesn't live in the metropolitan area so didn't come up thru the NYR rivalry - so I can't even imagine how those of you who were would have felt.

I was only 10 in the 2000 win, although I do remember going nuts for that - but at that age you still don't have a true appreciation for the game. Even at age 13 for the 2003 run, still feel the same way.

great take on this team. but really..... who cares where you are. our parents may have been restricted to local allegiance but we arent. that type of honesty says you got it, and you get it. you are being modest and thats respectable.... but you felt what we all felt. lets go devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad