You have 1 choice, Marner or Matthews .. Who do you keep?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Line-up without Tavares + a #1 defender I'm thinking.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kerfoot - Marner

?
i'd have Willie at C and plenty of cap for the rest of our lineup , i don't think much of Kerfoot , hope i'm wrong

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I keep the guy who signed for what we were willing to pay.

Thanks for helping recruit JT, Mitch. BTW when management approached you guys (34/88/16) about being on board if JT was willing to come ---> you should have understood what that meant. Hint...we needed the 3 of you to sign for reasonable and affordable deals based on league comparables. Two got the memo it appears.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
- Somewhat awkward choice for me given 2 of our family cats are named Auston and Mitch respectively. Auston is far more of a gentleman, and Mitch cares only about food. Therefore, I pick Auston.
- Serious Answer: #1C's are insanely difficult to obtain outside a top 5 draft selection, keep the #1C.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
The willingness of this fan base to fracture along the most obvious of fault lines is extraordinary. Jeez Louise, we've been lucky enough to have them both, let's hope we can continue as they mature and grow into the best they can be. AM's a delight, MM is a treat, let's enjoy them and quit the divisiveness.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Too much skill, just too much damn skill
Get rid of them both, package them off for some grizzled veteran grinders and 2 40
+ year old defensemen
We are Leafs fans, we hate analytics, logic, and this speed thing, as if speed can kill
Trade them away and maybe we can reacquire Luke Schenn

Only every Leafs fan comments about how entertaining of a team this is to watch ...we rave about their speed and skill...is it a problem to like something but recognize too much of it could be a hindrance once we reach the playoffs?
and Marner holding out genuinely scares leafs fans I think...
For once we have an abundance of skill and a team that goes into the playoffs with a real shot at moving on...it's scary to think the kid who GREW UP a Leafs fan could be the guy who forces it all to blow up...
Personally I am saying trade Kapanen and or Johnsson if I have to move Marner or Matthews...because let's be honest

Core:
Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Rielly
Andersen
Dermott (Potentially)
Nylander (can be traded in a pinch)

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
You are correct.

Of course 50% of the posters on here will blame Dubas for inflating the market.

The Matthews / Marner debate is nonsensical because the leafs have both of them. Credit Marner for having a better season than anyone imagined as this has created the price crunch.

But isn’t a better Hockey forum debate “Who would you offer sheet if you were Philly, Marner or Rantanen."?

That's a good one for the main boards actually lol

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Previously id say Matthews, because Marner is the hometown kid and Auston 100% is not paying Canadian taxes 5 years from now.

Now I’d trade both.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It takes visible passion from a player for me to even slightly care minus demanding contract talks.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ask Tavares.

I recall when Tavares signed both Matthews and Tavares did a joint interview with Sportsnet (Friedman i think)

and in that interview Tavares says that he spoke to Matthews whether or not Matthews intends to be here for the duration of Tavares' tenure and Matthews said yes he will be.

Matthews signs a 5 year contract; that is one year earlier than tavares' contract is up

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Auston unless Mitch signs a significantly cheaper deal at 7-8 years

All I know is this fanbase clamoured for a true 1C for years after Sundin left. Marner is special, but a real 1C is a unicorn.
had guys like Stajan and Connolly as our #1Cs... Johnny Malkin... Dominic Moore..

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I recall when Tavares signed both Matthews and Tavares did a joint interview with Sportsnet (Friedman i think)

and in that interview Tavares says that he spoke to Matthews whether or not Matthews intends to be here for the duration of Tavares' tenure and Matthews said yes he will be.

Matthews signs a 5 year contract; that is one year earlier than tavares' contract is up
You know he is going straight to UFA looking for 15AAV lol

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
We’re not doing the ticked off at Mitch thing here are we? Really? Oh come on. Guy is a gem, all going to be fine.

But yes, Matthews.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Only Captain Kirk could solve such a no win scenario (The Kobayashi Maru) and he would do it by cheating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad