Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, "great" shouldn't be the starting point there.

It's been said a number of times that everyone was bad, mostly by people who's favorite player is Ehlers. Yes, I've noticed that. Not everyone was bad, and that's also been said, by a number of other people.

Can I argue, that you were intent on trying to run many people out of town too? I mean, reading your posts in the live thread, was like "The sky is falling... blow it up... KFC sucks... Rick Bowness sucks... this is the last time I'll 'X' if the Jets don't do 'Y'..."

I don't think Ehlers is as good as some of the people you're debating against but I'd say the list of players that "weren't bad" numbers about 4.

Reactions: Dale53130

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It seems Ehlers will be the focal point this summer.

My guess is he wants to move to a team that utilizes him more and if true he's earned the right to explore FA in a year.

I am on both sides with regards to fly. Individually he's a very talented player that can tilt the ice and put up real strong point totals. But I also can see that despite what the results say his style of play does clash with our other skilled players. Guys like Scheifele like to hold the puck up and move it around until a good chance opens up. Whereas Fly thrives more on ad-hoc chaos and being a high volume shooter. I can understand why a player like Mark may not be comfortable playing with him. This however isn't an excuse for the coaches to keep a combo that stinks in KC and Mark together. There were other options like Perfetti who plays the style of game Mark likes but has significantly better results with him the KC has. Coaching imo left a lot to be desired in terms of combos and deployment down the stretch. This team has had its best results when KC and Mark have been separated both last year and this year.

In terms of Playoffs there really isn't any excuse for his performance. Sure this past round everyone stunk but fly has yet to have a good playoffs in his career. He's been to the postseason 6 times now. At some point you have to come through and he hasn't to date.

I'll be sad to see him go if he does move on, as he is a valuable player that has helped this team. But this team as is hasn't been able to get it done in the postseason so changes need to be made. Couple that with his contract situation and he is more then likely on the block.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It seems Ehlers will be the focal point this summer.

My guess is he wants to move to a team that utilizes him more and if true he's earned the right to explore FA in a year.

I am on both sides with regards to fly. Individually he's a very talented player that can tilt the ice and put up real strong point totals. But I also can see that despite what the results say his style of play does clash with our other skilled players. Guys like Scheifele like to hold the puck up and move it around until a good chance opens up. Whereas Fly thrives more on ad-hoc chaos and being a high volume shooter. I can understand why a player like Mark may not be comfortable playing with him. This however isn't an excuse for the coaches to keep a combo that stinks in KC and Mark together. There were other options like Perfetti who plays the style of game Mark likes but has significantly better results with him the KC has. Coaching imo left a lot to be desired in terms of combos and deployment down the stretch. This team has had its best results when KC and Mark have been separated both last year and this year.

In terms of Playoffs there really isn't any excuse for his performance. Sure this past round everyone stunk but fly has yet to have a good playoffs in his career. He's been to the postseason 6 times now. At some point you have to come through and he hasn't to date.

I'll be sad to see him go if he does move on, as he is a valuable player that has helped this team. But this team as is hasn't been able to get it done in the postseason so changes need to be made. Couple that with his contract situation and he is more then likely on the block.
Great balanced post. Sums it up perfectly IMHO

1000028423.gif

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I don't think Ehlers is as good as some of the people you're debating against but I'd say the list of players that "weren't bad" numbers about 4.

There's nothing really to write home about, but this is how I saw it:

Lowry, KFC, Morrissey, DeMelo (good)
Scheifele, Names, Appleton (average, slightly above average)
Nino (average)
Broissoit (pass)

Based on who he is, I thought that Lowry was punching up. When I say "good", I'm not overly excited about "good" here either. Maybe Morrissey was our best player, but saying that, he wasn't up to par either.

I don't think Ehlers was the worst btw, just that it's a continuation from year's past, and he never rised above that continuation. I thought Pionk was the worst; but I also thought he was trying (unsuccessfully).

Based on my expectations, Samberg disappointed me the most amongst the defensive corps. I thought there was a play (or two), where Stanley took the brunt of the blame, but some of that should have been on Samberg too. I viewed him as a guy you never worry about, throughout the year. He wasn't that guy in the playoffs.

They didn't do Hellebuyck any favors, and he didn't do himself any favors either.

One day, maybe we'll look back on this era, and realize that we had our own version of Mark Howe and Brad McCrimmon in Morrissey and DeMelo (a lite version of course), but not much else around them on defense.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd go for a better than mediocre team (which they are) that turn on the Jets in April -

Time to shop for another team then because once we get past the whipping boys we are still left with an organization that vanishes in the playoffs. That’s how we roll. We almost always lose 4 games in a row. We have done it 5 times in the playoffs. How many years have we made the playoffs?

This season took the cake as far as the drastic drop off from regular season to post season. Hardest team in the league to get a goal against in the regular season to the easiest team in the playoffs to score on.

Very little forecheck. Ineffective in the neutral zone, let the Avs attack with speed, gave up passes across the middle for easy back door shots that kill goalies, let the avs D tiptoe across our blue line and pick their spots for multi layered screened shots, struggled to beat the Avs forecheck…….i could go on.

Our team made the Avs look like the 80’s Oilers and then Dallas dispatched of them in 6?

I don’t disagree some of our players were worse than others but our “team” got shit kicked. We are not a trade or two away. Case in point we loaded up at the deadline and still vanished in May.

I will remain a Jets fan because I like the NHL and this is my team. They provide entertainment for me during our long cold winters, I enjoy the banter on this board most of the time, I love getting out to games. I am also willing to admit after 13 seasons of the 2.0 era our organization and team are not built for playoff hockey. We aren’t bad at getting there but, god love em, we do suck in the playoffs :laugh:

obviously only one team wins every year, almost all of the time being a fan means dealing with disappointment at the end of the season. I am more at peace with it now than ever. I just need a week or two to decompress after our team soils themselves.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is how the org has viewed it but does it need to view it that way? The Lowry line is only one line and the org could choose to do any number of things with the other three.

Why can't we roll 4 lines like Dallas and have a soft offensive 3B line instead of a gritty energy line?

We have Name and he was good with Cole last year, why not have him mentor Lambert on a fourth line that gets 13-14 minutes? Iafallo was fine with Cole as well so you could have a fourth line that can do some things offensively against soft opposition with Lambert/Namestnikov/Iafallo.

The org is stuck in doing the same things but it doesn't have to be whether they continue to deploy a Lowry checking unit or not.

Why not something like this:

Xxx Scheifele Vilardi
KC Perfetti Nino
Barron Lowry Appelton
Iafallo Lambert/Name Lambert/Name

There you go, splitting up KC and Scheifele again. Just not happening. Not required to facilitate your bottom 6 plan. So why bother?
KC Scheifele Vilardi
Xxx Perfetti Nino
Barron Lowry Appelton
Iafallo Lambert/Name Lambert/Name

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Until Hellebucyk learns to win games in the playoffs , Ehlers lack of scoring is minor.
We are worse off without Ehlers going into next season if that’s the plan.

One of them has proven they can do it before though. The other has never done it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A lot of posters are so terrified of another playoff disappointment that they'd rather miss the playoffs entirely. SMH.

And even if you somehow could make a, let's say Nino-Monahan-Perfetti work adequately at 5v5 as your second line, you're tying your two best (remaining) line drivers on that line - you can likely put together a very defensive third line that remains over 50% in xGF, but are you going to get 30 ES points from the guys playing 16 minutes a night without Nino? And on top of that issue, you still have to deal with the first line getting its teeth kicked in at evens. If your top two lines don't do much at 5v5 (let alone top three), it's going to be all special teams (which don't work) and Hellebuyck (who likely won't improve from here). To me, that sounds like a bubble team at best.

Obviously, all of these issues can occur with Ehlers in the lineup - it has certainly happened before. But the point is that if we don't even have him as an option to fix broken line combos, which he has proven to do even single-handedly, many of those issues will be a base scenario for the team.

Your argument seems to be that the team is crap even with Ehlers.
Remember when we all thought we had such good F depth? Can that be only about a month ago?

If you are trying to argue in favour of keeping Ehlers you are assuming he gives the team that option. I can't see that happening. Will the new coach come in and break up KC/Scheif? Will he play Ehlers on the top line and PP1 all season? If he does, will that persuade Ehlers to stay? I suspect no, no and no. So I am resigned to Ehlers being moved. It just becomes a matter of getting the best possible return.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't want Ehlers traded but if he is why is it a foregone conclusion that whatever we got back in a trade makes us worse? I'll wait to see what we got back in a trade before saying we are hooped without Ehlers because we haven't done very good with him in the playoffs up to now.

The only way I see an Ehlers trade that we don't lose is if we take a futures package that hits big. That will take at least a couple of years, at the most optimistic.

When I say we lose the trade I don't mean that we get hosed and get nothing back. But Nik is the best player involved in the deal. Consider Ehlers for Pulock. To keep it simple let NYI worry about Nik's next contract. Don't bother trying to micro-match the values. I think it is a not unreasonable prospect at 1 for 1.

Pulock fills a long-standing hole in the roster. We can argue exactly how good he is or isn't. But I don't think there is any question he is better than Pionk. So our D corps is better. But his net impact on the team is well short of Ehlers'. We lose that trade. But that might represent the best value we could get for a player who is not going to extend here.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hello folks it was nice to take a season off..I can say I didn't watch as many hockey games last year because I played a shit ton of hockey, bringing the old Coopers out of retirement. And the team was winning, so no need to jinx it.

I think going into this offseason, with a new coach on the horizon, the Jets have to look at what some of their flaws are. The defense is the most obvious area of improvement, and with 3 defensemen heading into UFA status, another one in RFA status who at 26 is still not an NHL regular, and a couple of defensemen heading into the final year of their contracts who underperformed, there's going to be change here. I wonder if there is any structural changes too, as Bones had a blueprint to create more offense from the defense, but with limited personnel. Do you go for more offense from this defense, or more size which seems to be the way to win in the playoffs where you can interfere a lot more than the regular season?

I think there is a fairly realistic chance that both Ville Heinola and Simon Lundmark graduate next year. They've gone through the process. Both have the potential to improve special teams at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Special teams is definitely a key element to winning. 62,5% PK in the playoffs will likely send you packing every year. The team also regressed during the regular season from being a top 10 team the year before. Same coach, same personnel...so I think the players are going to take the fall here. Neal Pionk was very bad on the PK in the playoffs and I think he is challenged to be better or replaced. Nate Schmidt doesn't really contribute to either special teams so I wonder what's in his future. The one thing I notice is that Josh Morrissey still doesn't kill penalties unlike a lot of top players. I don't know if that is in his new contract taking less cross checks in the back, or shots in the unprotected areas, or a coaching decision, to keep him at maximum output. But if Ville is coming into the lineup I would say Josh is a legitimately good PKer and Ville is unproven, and less physical too.
I do think the Jets try to re-sign De Melo because he is the special teams leader, he and Samberg can kill penalties well. Lose him and the Jets are digging in, I think they have to trade Ehlers for a d-man to protect the structure of the team.

The 2C chapter that was briefly intersected by PLD rears up again. I like Brad Lambert's potential but it is a huge leap of faith to expect him to be able to compete against some elite centers in the West, unprotected. Can Perfetti play centre? Given his NHL experience I think he's probably better suited. Namestnikov did a pretty good job as a place holder, but the Jets are going into this season with a lot of uncertainty there.

I don't have the answers, I just enjoy the show. But these are I think the areas that will be a focus in the offseason: defense, improved special teams, centre depth.

Backup goalie could be interesting too. I think the Jets liked having Hellebuyck pushed by some competition in the regular season.

Cheers

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Jets need some winners and some aggression in their line-up. I think they should try to sign Schauffele and Scheffler this summer. If they line up beside Chef that would be a great first line.

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nothing is a foregone conclusion. Everyone had Helly and Scheifele traded at this time last year, and we all know how that worked out. Personally I think it is more likely than not Ehlers is back, with a new long term deal, slotted into the current team salary structure, just behind Helly and Scheifele.

There is a similarity, but it breaks down. The feeling last off-season was that Scheif and Helle would not extend because they didn't have faith in the Jets competing for the cup. Chevy managed to convince them otherwise. I believe that in each case one would not sign unless the other did. Thus the timing of them signing identical contracts.

The expectation that Nik won't extend here is very different. Can Chevy convince him that he will be treated and utilized differently under the new coach? Even if he can, is that sufficient now? Or would it be too little, too late? IDK Ehlers' mind of course. I can only look at how he has been treated here and conclude what I would do in his shoes, or skates.

Hope I'm wrong. I hope you are correct. 'Fly' is the one Jets player opposing teams need to prepare for. Generic game plans work for everyone else.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Absolutely a great reg season player - when you give him a little space, he'll take a mile and a ton of fun to watch -
But the PO's are another animal - and that's where that space dries up and the game changes.
We have a number of talented players that struggle when the chips are down so this isn't an anti-Ehlers point - but it does apply.
We need to sort that out - is it player type or player drive that expose this in the PO's?

There are a lot of possible explanations. Here's another one. Jets lack of elite talent allows PO opponents to focus on stopping Ehlers. Doing so doesn't create opening for our other elite talent because there is no other. They give up some goals to Scheif/Connor but they know they get those back from Scheif/Connor.

Or maybe our coaching staff needs to try to find ways of getting Ehlers some more space?

Whatever the answer, we have a very talented player who we are not getting the best results from.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There are a lot of possible explanations. Here's another one. Jets lack of elite talent allows PO opponents to focus on stopping Ehlers. Doing so doesn't create opening for our other elite talent because there is no other. They give up some goals to Scheif/Connor but they know they get those back from Scheif/Connor.

Or maybe our coaching staff needs to try to find ways of getting Ehlers some more space?

Whatever the answer, we have a very talented player who we are not getting the best results from.
When you realize that after one post season with the Jets Tyler Toffoli has half the amount of goals that Nik has put up in a Jets uni in 6 post season appearances, including 3 series victories, the narrative changes.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There is a similarity, but it breaks down. The feeling last off-season was that Scheif and Helle would not extend because they didn't have faith in the Jets competing for the cup. Chevy managed to convince them otherwise. I believe that in each case one would not sign unless the other did. Thus the timing of them signing identical contracts.

The expectation that Nik won't extend here is very different. Can Chevy convince him that he will be treated and utilized differently under the new coach? Even if he can, is that sufficient now? Or would it be too little, too late? IDK Ehlers' mind of course. I can only look at how he has been treated here and conclude what I would do in his shoes, or skates.

Hope I'm wrong. I hope you are correct. 'Fly' is the one Jets player opposing teams need to prepare for. Generic game plans work for everyone else.
Has there been even ONE peep that Ehlers isn't happy with his usage from HIM?

To me, the narrative has been pushed by the people who think he should be used differently - mostly the analytics crowd, who I think Murat is mixed up in. But not from Ehlers and his camp

A common misconception is his icetime. During a presser towards the end of rhe year there was a bit of an embarrassing moment for a reporter (maybe it was Murat) who questioned his icetime and Bones asked the reporter if he had checked the number of shifts Ehlers had or was just going by TOI. Turns out, Ehlers had the exact same number of shifts as Connor but just takes shorter shifts. So it's not like Bones isn't sending him out enough

There's nothing wrong with playing 2nd line minutes behind a 40 goal scorer. I realize that this is where the Statsnerds will come along with P/60 and xGF%, etc but at the end of the day, Kyle Connor will be a 1LW on almost any team in the league.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd love to re-sign Dillon but if we do, our left side is overflowing more than last season...
JMo
Samberg
Dillon
Ville (has to clear waivers so won't be sent down)
Stanley
If we wrap up Ville and Ehlers for Pulock + a nice add, I'd be very happy.

I believe in facts over stats and the facts are that Ehlers pulls a Houdini in the playoffs.
As far as trading Pionk goes, I think the Sabres would be interested but I doubt Chevy tries to move him.
I'd do Ehlers, Ville and Schmidt for Pulock and a 4th but I doubt the Isles do that because of the cap.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I didn't notice the Aves spending a lot of time focusing on Ehlers - they pretty much focused on our D.
I really don't think there is a team in the league that thinks if you shut down Ehlers you shut down the Jets.

As for Ehlers and space, he needs to stop trying to do too much on his own - nothing easier than shutting down a player that doesn't utilize his line mates.
I would also assume that coaching has been trying to get this into Ehlers head since day one - so I wouldn't point at coaching.

IMO, Ehlers needs to change his game from what he has been doing his whole career (including jr) - he'll be a lot more dangerous and versatile if he uses his line mates more and replies on his individual effort less.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hello folks it was nice to take a season off..I can say I didn't watch as many hockey games last year because I played a shit ton of hockey, bringing the old Coopers out of retirement. And the team was winning, so no need to jinx it.

I think going into this offseason, with a new coach on the horizon, the Jets have to look at what some of their flaws are. The defense is the most obvious area of improvement, and with 3 defensemen heading into UFA status, another one in RFA status who at 26 is still not an NHL regular, and a couple of defensemen heading into the final year of their contracts who underperformed, there's going to be change here. I wonder if there is any structural changes too, as Bones had a blueprint to create more offense from the defense, but with limited personnel. Do you go for more offense from this defense, or more size which seems to be the way to win in the playoffs where you can interfere a lot more than the regular season?

I think there is a fairly realistic chance that both Ville Heinola and Simon Lundmark graduate next year. They've gone through the process. Both have the potential to improve special teams at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Special teams is definitely a key element to winning. 62,5% PK in the playoffs will likely send you packing every year. The team also regressed during the regular season from being a top 10 team the year before. Same coach, same personnel...so I think the players are going to take the fall here. Neal Pionk was very bad on the PK in the playoffs and I think he is challenged to be better or replaced. Nate Schmidt doesn't really contribute to either special teams so I wonder what's in his future. The one thing I notice is that Josh Morrissey still doesn't kill penalties unlike a lot of top players. I don't know if that is in his new contract taking less cross checks in the back, or shots in the unprotected areas, or a coaching decision, to keep him at maximum output. But if Ville is coming into the lineup I would say Josh is a legitimately good PKer and Ville is unproven, and less physical too.
I do think the Jets try to re-sign De Melo because he is the special teams leader, he and Samberg can kill penalties well. Lose him and the Jets are digging in, I think they have to trade Ehlers for a d-man to protect the structure of the team.

The 2C chapter that was briefly intersected by PLD rears up again. I like Brad Lambert's potential but it is a huge leap of faith to expect him to be able to compete against some elite centers in the West, unprotected. Can Perfetti play centre? Given his NHL experience I think he's probably better suited. Namestnikov did a pretty good job as a place holder, but the Jets are going into this season with a lot of uncertainty there.

I don't have the answers, I just enjoy the show. But these are I think the areas that will be a focus in the offseason: defense, improved special teams, centre depth.

Backup goalie could be interesting too. I think the Jets liked having Hellebuyck pushed by some competition in the regular season.

Cheers
Welcome back.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I didn't notice the Aves spending a lot of time focusing on Ehlers - they pretty much focused on our D.
I really don't think there is a team in the league that thinks if you shut down Ehlers you shut down the Jets.

As for Ehlers and space, he needs to stop trying to do too much on his own - nothing easier than shutting down a player that doesn't utilize his line mates.
I would also assume that coaching has been trying to get this into Ehlers head since day one - so I wouldn't point at coaching.

IMO, Ehlers needs to change his game from what he has been doing his whole career (including jr) - he'll be a lot more dangerous and versatile if he uses his line mates more and replies on his individual effort less.

I sometimes wonder how he'd do in a Kessel in Pittsburgh lite situation. I guess we sorta do that already but the main difference is that no team is scared of the Lowry line scoring on them and we have a weak top line.

If we could build two strong outscoring lines and then build a soft line around him on line 3 we may get more out of him in the playoffs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Cheers

Good post. I agree with most everything you've said.

Given how this org has integrated players the last decade I can't see them putting a raw rookie at 2C in Lambert. We saw how they have integrated every forward prospect that could play center. All of Roslovic, Perfetti, Copp etc started at wing. I imagine if he makes the team he likely starts at wing to acclimatize as well.

I think you need to give Cole a long look at C next year. We need that hole filled and looking forward we are going to need the 1C hole filled within the next 2 to 3 years as imo Mark is now only a borderline 1C and will likely decline out of the role over the next few years. It wouldn't suppose me to see him moved to wing down the line as well to get more out of him in his mid to late 30's. So we likely need both Cole and Lambert to hit as top 6 C as we have Noone else in the system that projects as a top 6 C.

Get Cole integrated at C next year, Lambert into the NHL and then slowly work Lambert in as a C over the following seasons.

We also need Ville to stick as one of this teams major issues is retirevals and breakouts. Both areas Ville excels at.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Has there been even ONE peep that Ehlers isn't happy with his usage from HIM?

To me, the narrative has been pushed by the people who think he should be used differently - mostly the analytics crowd, who I think Murat is mixed up in. But not from Ehlers and his camp

A common misconception is his icetime. During a presser towards the end of rhe year there was a bit of an embarrassing moment for a reporter (maybe it was Murat) who questioned his icetime and Bones asked the reporter if he had checked the number of shifts Ehlers had or was just going by TOI. Turns out, Ehlers had the exact same number of shifts as Connor but just takes shorter shifts. So it's not like Bones isn't sending him out enough

There's nothing wrong with playing 2nd line minutes behind a 40 goal scorer. I realize that this is where the Statsnerds will come along with P/60 and xGF%, etc but at the end of the day, Kyle Connor will be a 1LW on almost any team in the league.

I haven't heard a peep out of him. But I can't believe he is happy with the way he has been treated. His usage will have cost him millions over his career. Do you think he likes always being the first guy singled out for criticism, deserved or not?

Like I said before, I hope I am wrong. But until he signs, I will expect him not to.

Connor scored 40 only once. It was the year he was on the 2nd line with PLD. But OK, KC is a goal scorer and gets 1st line minutes. I'm just curious. Do you actually like the KC - Scheif top line? If so, do you look only at their goals scored and ignore everything else? Honest questions. I'd like to know what it is that makes you defend the combination so adamantly.

I keep trying to move the conversation away from Ehlers vs Connor. IIRC, the C-S-E combination worked pretty well too. But mostly I just want to see KC and Scheif split up. I don't think they are good for each other. That applies even if Ehlers is traded away.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When you realize that after one post season with the Jets Tyler Toffoli has half the amount of goals that Nik has put up in a Jets uni in 6 post season appearances, including 3 series victories, the narrative changes.

Not for me. I'm not defending Ehlers' PO production. But I'm not condemning it either. I don't know why he has been ineffective in the PO. I think it is something for the coach to figure out and remedy.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I haven't heard a peep out of him. But I can't believe he is happy with the way he has been treated. His usage will have cost him millions over his career. Do you think he likes always being the first guy singled out for criticism, deserved or not?

Like I said before, I hope I am wrong. But until he signs, I will expect him not to.

Connor scored 40 only once. It was the year he was on the 2nd line with PLD. But OK, KC is a goal scorer and gets 1st line minutes. I'm just curious. Do you actually like the KC - Scheif top line? If so, do you look only at their goals scored and ignore everything else? Honest questions. I'd like to know what it is that makes you defend the combination so adamantly.

I keep trying to move the conversation away from Ehlers vs Connor. IIRC, the C-S-E combination worked pretty well too. But mostly I just want to see KC and Scheif split up. I don't think they are good for each other. That applies even if Ehlers is traded away.
I can understand why someone would think I "like" the combination, but the reality is that I don't care who plays with who. I'm not the coach and can't control the line combos, so why worry about it? Worrying about things out of your control is the recipe for anxiety and stress

I'll I've ever done is try to offer to people who DO stress about line combos some possible rationale as to why they aren't getting their way.

Like any other issue, I always try to see all sides of it

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Can't argue with that.

At least in the PO, I also think he tries to do too much. Question is why? And how to fix it? He's a pretty smart guy. Why would he be so difficult to coach? Is there a difference in the way he uses his linemates between PO and reg season? Or is it just the tighter play in PO and better competition that makes it seem that way?

Maybe the coaching issue is the same one as it is in the reg season - usage. Maybe putting the fastest guy on the team on a line with 2 of the slowest isn't a good fit.

Coaching isn't just about having the right message, it is about being able to get it through. Are they telling him to make better use of his linemates, and how? Or are they just telling him to play more North/South on the assumption that that will lead to better usage of his linemates? It seems that all we ever hear about is the more N/S part. But of course we aren't at the practice or in the room.

All I know is that Nik is the most talented player the Jets have and they are not getting full value out of him.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad