You have 1 choice, Marner or Matthews .. Who do you keep?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
We’re not doing the ticked off at Mitch thing here are we? Really? Oh come on. Guy is a gem, all going to be fine.

But yes, Matthews.

I love Marner, but players like him come around once every 3-4 years or so.

Players like Matthews are once a decade tops.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Cant be serious ofcourse it's Mathews, then JT then Rielly, Marner is 4th but only if his salary isnt an overpayment.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I think Marner is more valuable to the team. I also don’t think AM holds much loyalty to Toronto and can easily picture him signing elsewhere at some point as a UFA. Eventually I can also picture him wanting to play in Arizona and fulfilling his childhood dream, just like Tavares. Being on the same team together, I’m sure AM will observe with Tavares (and probably did with Marleau) how much it meant to them to be able to play for their favourite teams. While Arizona is a small hockey market, he’d instantly leave a lasting legacy at home.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think Marner is more valuable to the team. I also don’t think AM holds much loyalty to Toronto and can easily picture him signing elsewhere at some point as a UFA. Eventually I can also picture him wanting to play in Arizona and fulfilling his childhood dream, just like Tavares. Being on the same team together, I’m sure AM will observe with Tavares (and probably did with Marleau) how much it meant to them to be able to play for their favourite teams. While Arizona is a small hockey market, he’d instantly leave a lasting legacy at home.

If Marner wants to play in TO so much why isn't he giving the team any sort of hometown discount?

SG1990

Apr 11, 2019
I love Marner, but players like him come around once every 3-4 years or so.

Players like Matthews are once a decade tops.
This is just not true considering you already have McDavid and MacKinnon in the same decade who are currently better players.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
This is just not true considering you already have McDavid and MacKinnon in the same decade who are currently better players.

MacKinnon took 5 years in the league to become near as good as Matthews was in his 1st year.

SG1990

Apr 11, 2019
MacKinnon took 5 years in the league to become near as good as Matthews was in his 1st year.
Actually his rookie year was great and he only had 3 years of okay production on a terrible team until he broke out in his 5th and 6th year and became a hart trophy candidate... Theres also no reason to use his first few years as a reference when development isn’t linear. I even said in my first post that this is “currently”. The fact is MacKinnon has outproduced Matthews the last two seasons in points and PPG while also showing he can take over the game when it matters most in the playoffs. Until Matthews actually does that I’m not going pretend to know the future.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews.

Marner is good but he's a luxury.

If we didn't have Matthews we would be royally f***ed.

Our centre depth goes from...Tavares to Kerfoot to one foot out the door Spezza to Gauthier to...AHL centres.

Lose Marner? No problem. Tavares has a history of making scrubs look great. We've still got wingers who can be good role players and chip in points.

I'd trade Marner for Tkachuk + if Tkachuk can sign for around 8-9M long term...brings grit, toughness and talent and we get rid of a contract headache.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Mitch at 8.5m is a keeper over Matthews. Matthews is the most likely next star to GO HOME.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Since when has he had a childhood dream of wanting to play in Arizona?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad