"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain": Leo Komarov

member 262271

Another scapegoat after a loss eh? Leo hasn't been good offensively this year, but he's great on the PK. Bringing him back as a 4th line PKer could make some sense.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Judging by the ice time he's getting I don't see him being replaced anytime soon.

Babcock held on to Cleary for years after everyone else knew he was done so there's no reason to believe he won't do the same with Komo.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Komorov isn't a big problem. He still does his job.

Bozak is the real concern.

Bozak is done. Seems like he's completely checked out, which is strange for a contract year. He has zero compete. Komarov on the other hand works his ass off, he just offers us zero offense.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
He hasn't been the same player since ovi concussed him. Maybe told by docs to lay back on the hitting or maybe its subconscious, but he hasnt hit like he used to since then

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hitting that typical peak performance curve. Wrong side of the curve now.

Prudent management thing to do would have been to sell high before a decline. Like this past summer. Got the playoff benefit last year.

Downside is that is when fans are least likely to want to move a player. In fact, many want multi year deals at that point.

Not to mention, it's hard to predict. Wearable metrics and health analytics will help going forward.

Agreed that this is likely all just down to health.

Though remains debatable as to whether the prudent move is/was to trade him. With the division being quite weak it’s not exactly unreasonable for management to take a gamble to keep the assets for a deep playoff run. I flip flop on this issue myself.

No need to resign him though, even for cheap. Too many Marlies wingers looking for a roster spots.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Also that said some folks are being way too hard on him. In no way has he been the worst forward, he’s been fine defensively

Last edited:

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I feel like Komarov is underappreciated around here. Granted, he seems to have lost a step, but he was never much of an offensive player to begin with. His merits come from other aspects of the game, such as hitting, PK, and (I assume) leadership/locker room presence. Babcock has credited Komarov with keeping Naz in check, so I'm sure that the coaches see something useful coming from him.
I do agree that his time with the Leafs is coming to an end, however. I'm just not anxious to push him out the door just yet. I still feel he has something to offer this season. If he were making under $2 million, I wonder if he would be viewed differently.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If your not highly skilled on this team, you stand out in the crowd, but that doesn't mean you suck either. lol He also is usually on shutdown duty, so he cant afford to crash and bang everyone and get tied up.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Judging by the ice time he's getting I don't see him being replaced anytime soon.

Babcock held on to Cleary for years after everyone else knew he was done so there's no reason to believe he won't do the same with Komo.

Of all the washed up guys in the league to hang on to, I'm happy that it would be Komarov. He brings a ton to the team off the ice. It's a shame that "Team Uncle" isn't a bench job though, those minutes would be better filled by about 15 other forwards in the org.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If your not highly skilled on this team, you stand out in the crowd, but that doesn't mean you suck either. lol He also is usually on shutdown duty, so he cant afford to crash and bang everyone and get tied up.
The thing is he shouldn't be in shutdown dude. He's been brutal this year. Provides literacy 0 offensive, fairly bad in terms of CF. He sure as hell shouldn't be playing 18 mins a night and getting pp time, I do not understand.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This isn't true, he's actually tied for 3rd in the league for hits.

Everything else I can agree with though, he sucks.

iu

No longer a human wrecking ball? Let's put these false mommy's basement blogosphere musings into the wood chipper:

3rd in the NHL in hits.

Hits are such a subjective stat much like blocked shots. Pretty sure the ACC gives hits out like candy. Wasn’t Cody Franson top 5 one year in hits? Also, rubbing out guys isn’t “punishing”. Komarov used to paste guys at least once or twice along the boards which would cause a scrum.

Speaking of scrums, he used to be extremely involved trolling players in scrums, just last night I watched him stand around while Rielly was locked up with Simmonds

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Still great defensively, but pretty much should be a 1st PK, 4th line C now.

Needs to get the f*** off Kadri's line.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Bozak is done. Seems like he's completely checked out, which is strange for a contract year. He has zero compete. Komarov on the other hand works his ass off, he just offers us zero offense.

He's been a no show for most of the year and then when he plays in Pitts he has a great game scores 2, plays well defensively, has an all around good game.

I can't say that is a surprise because of the rumors that he wants to be reunited with Kessel and apparently (rumors) Pitts has some interest in Bozak. If someone had a crystal ball and they told me Bozak signs in Pitts after July 1st , it would not surprise me in the least.

The guy is clearly trying to do what ever he can do to make it to July 1st healthy, he's just playing out his contract.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Uncle Leo's offensive numbers are down, on a now very deep offensive team that no longer needs him to chip in on offence. His role has changed slightly, such that he's not even looked at by Babcock or management to chip in - just play hard, do great on the PK, show the young guys how to be a pro, and be that great communicator, loosy-goosy character in the room to chill those young guns out when things get tight.

If the coach is still using him on the ice to protect one goal leads (hence all his empty netters), that says something. Coach doesn't put you out there for goal gratuities, he puts you out there because you've either played great, or he can trust you.

Uncle Leo, you're A-OK in my books. Keep on . . . keeping on.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He has been really really bad this year. Specifically at 5v5. There really is no justification for him being on a top 3 line and especially getting any PP time at all....That is just ridiculous. He needs to start being used as what he is. A forth liner that can kill a penalty. The fact they seem so unwilling to bump him down the lineup is what makes me happy that he will be out the door soon. It's nothing against Leo that they are using him in a role he is just failing at.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'd be fine with his putrid offensive numbers if he provided any value otherwise. He doesn't (anymore). I've always liked Uncle Leo, but it's time to cut ties.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I recall last year some were saying he was finished. He turned it on in the 2nd half and was good in the playoffs. There's just something missing with his game now it seems. And on the PP? Seriously? Are they trying to prevent a short-handed goal ? :)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Looks fine to me. I don't like him blowing simple plays so frequent this year though. He has lost 2-3km/h(Top end) from his legs and probably a bit of his cruise speed. He should drop 10lbs ASAP and start sprinting 50/100m etc. Try and get his muscles firing more quickly (twitch). He should know if his legs lose anything more he is done so preservation of his speed is all he has.

you may want to send an Email to the Sports Science team at MLS&E

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i still love leo's defense, speed, and physical play...but dam hes on pace for what 15-20 pts...hes dragging down his line offensively and he plays a lot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad