"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain": Leo Komarov

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
What happened to this human wrecking ball? Former fan favourite Leo Komarov and now I can't wait for him to leave. All he did his 1st few years here was smash people every shift and managed to chip in offensively. I can't remember the last time I seen this guy throw a hit onto anyone let alone a big hit. He's not hitting, he's not bringing in offense, and he's not playing well defensively either like he was last season.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Id bring him back for cheap to be on the 4th line. He can still serve a purpose there and on the PK. But the fact that he gets some of the highest TOI and PP time is a disgrace.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Hitting that typical peak performance curve. Wrong side of the curve now.

Prudent management thing to do would have been to sell high before a decline. Like this past summer. Got the playoff benefit last year.

Downside is that is when fans are least likely to want to move a player. In fact, many want multi year deals at that point.

Not to mention, it's hard to predict. Wearable metrics and health analytics will help going forward.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The guy waited to long to start his NHL career and is now in physical decline. Basically on the decline. Interesting to see how he does later in the season, but probably getting to that point where he'll just take up a roster spot and not much more.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I was a staunch defender at the start of the year. Now, I wince every time he's on the ice at even strength.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Been our worst forward. Even worse than Martin and Moore
I agree with this to an extent. I actually like Martin and Moore though. I like that line to be honest. They both come as advertised and the TOI shows it. However, our worst forward this year has been Bozak. There's more compete in the penalty box attendant. The guy just doesn't care. Komarov cares, just doesn't have the skill.
The team would be smart to let these two guys walk. If JVR can sign for a good contract you have to look at bringing him back, as I think a lot of his defensive problems are a little tied to the fact that Bozak is a trainwreck.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What happened to this human wrecking ball? Former fan favourite Leo Komarov and now I can't wait for him to leave. All he did his 1st few years here was smash people every shift and managed to chip in offensively. I can't remember the last time I seen this guy throw a hit onto anyone let alone a big hit. He's not hitting, he's not bringing in offense, and he's not playing well defensively either like he was last season.

Age.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Regression is a bit**.

You know that time where people were saying to sell high on him? Yeah...

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Great fourth liner who, during his prime years, could effectively move up the lineup.

Would probably still be a great fourth liner/PK guy if we just kept him in that role and paid him appropriately.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Regression is a bit**.

You know that time where people were saying to sell high on him? Yeah...

I'm not upset that they held onto him. By all accounts he's been good for younger guys in the dressing room (especially Euros/Russians) and has been a really good for Kadri's development.

This is just the long term consequence of doing that.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I know no sports fan ever thinks we should capture the depreciation of an asset, but on a guy like Komarov, whose trade value was never high, there's really no reason not to. But, yeah, he's been the worst player on the team.

Last in RelCF%, 2nd last in RelxGF%, last in GS/60, last in P1/60... the eye test and the stats confirm each other.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

His job is not to bring offence. He is an elite match up winger and first option on a good PK. He is a great fore checker and brings a pest mentality that you don't see in many other Leafs. His job is support the people who drive the team. just because he is not laying down Double Dion's every night does not mean he is not effective. Watch how many times he wins 50/50 battles. He has a thankless role and some fans are clearly clueless to the value he brings.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Looks fine to me. I don't like him blowing simple plays so frequent this year though. He has lost 2-3km/h(Top end) from his legs and probably a bit of his cruise speed. He should drop 10lbs ASAP and start sprinting 50/100m etc. Try and get his muscles firing more quickly (twitch). He should know if his legs lose anything more he is done so preservation of his speed is all he has.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he wants to come back as a 4th line guy or 13th forward, I have no problem with a 1 year 1-1.5M contract.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
iu

No longer a human wrecking ball? Let's put these false mommy's basement blogosphere musings into the wood chipper:

3rd in the NHL in hits.

Reactions: diceman934

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
iu

No longer a human wrecking ball? Let's put these false mommy's basement blogosphere musings into the wood chipper:

3rd in the NHL in hits.

Matt Martin has more points than him.

Let's put that false mommy's musings into the wood chipper - the guy offers us nothing now.

Reactions: Alerion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad