WC: Team Canada 2024

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like this team. Very good young talent with some players with A team potential. I don't think this team is the favourite and it could probably use a bit more experience, but I'm happy to err on the side of youth and talent. The team can add a defenceman and two forwards, and we should expect at least one more forward to get the number to 13. History has shown that it may easily be a no name player, but those players can contribute too. I'm planning to watch most of this team's games because I'm interested in seeing how some of these guys look.

One thing I really would love this team to have is a clear cut number one centre. Bedard looks very likely to be an A team player before long, but likely as a winger at first. Would like him to get some reps with a strong number one centre at this level. As a fan I'm also interested in seeing if Binnington at least gets up to some amusing shenanigans.

As for Doughty it would be awesome if he showed up but I will never bet on Doughty showing up to this tournament. He last played in it 15 years ago.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I like this team, it has a lot of talented players, but it is too young to qualify for gold. Compare it with the USA and Sweden and you will feel the difference.
You may be right, but I think it will be a team that will stand up and be counted.

It's all NHL players aside from one guy and they are good players. Can't discount that

i mean even a guy like McCann had 29 goals this year and 40 the year before, people seem to think he's a plugger around here, he's not.

Reactions: MatBarzal

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
But if such players as Barzal and Point appear in this national team, then the situation will change dramatically for the better. I believe in it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I hope that Fantilli is reasonably healthy. He looked pretty good in the few Columbus games I saw. Guenther is another guy, definitely looked better than I expected he would in his rookie year. I'm also hoping that Celebrini gets a regular shift if his play warrants it. I wouldn't expect him to be a difference maker as I think the youngest Canadian to play at this tournament, but hopefully he gets a fair chance.

The defence looks pretty balanced too. I'd like to start with something like

Byram Parayko
Power Severson
Guhle Zellweger/Oleksiak

With Zellweger and Oleksiak alternating depending on situation. Good mix of different players and Parayko, Severson, and Power have all been good for Canada at this tournament before.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
this team will probably win gold again. Last few years canada has sent a very average roster and they still do well in this tourney. you don't need powerhouse to win. Sweden and USA might be little better but I would still canada over them in a winner take or nothing game.

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
This roster is a little disappointing if you ask me. Maybe my hopes were just too high since i have tickets for the game in vienna and a game in Prague. All those guys were available 2 weeks ago when the season ended (maybe i missed 1). Would have liked to see Zach Benson make the team too. Not sure who those bubble guys for the best on best tournaments are.
Still 3 spots left though. That team could look way better if lets say Crosby, Doughty and Barzal/O'Reilly show up.

Last edited:

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Beyond excited Zellweger is on board. Most of you will crap on him in the beginning simply due to the fact he's Ducks property, but -and you can quote me on that- he is going to become one of the 10 best offensive defensemen in the league before long.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Beyond excited Zellweger is on board. Most of you will crap on him in the beginning simply due to the fact he's Ducks property, but -and you can quote me on that- he is going to become one of the 10 best offensive defensemen in the league before long.
He's pretty good, can skate, move the puck around.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why would you think people would hate a player simply because they play for the Ducks?

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Like most Canadians, I would rather see Canada lose than see an Anaheim player perform well. It's just the way things are here.
Canada has a lot of rivals. People talk about the USSR, USA and even Finland of late but there is an underrated one between the Ducks and Team Canada.

As a fan of both, I'm torn but thankfully the rivalry hasn't gotten out of hand.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Guess some of you only read what they want. Ducks players have been criminally underrated on these boards ever since, like Getzlaf being a fringe second liner and so on.

This has nothing to do with a rivalry, it's just about 99% not watching Ducks games and immediately calling out their players (like Zegras).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Guess some of you only read what they want. Ducks players have been criminally underrated on these boards ever since, like Getzlaf being a fringe second liner and so on.

This has nothing to do with a rivalry, it's just about 99% not watching Ducks games and immediately calling out their players (like Zegras).
Fanbases don't collectively underrate any specific team's players. Fans of teams overrate their own players and then feel slighted because people who aren't fans of their team don't agree, and that happens for every team.

As for Zellweger, he's a good add. Very smart and he was great for Canada twice at the WJC.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
If you're not excited to watch this team are you even a hockey fan?

Bedard, Celebrini, Fantilli, Cozens, Power, Guhle etc as the young exciting "next wave."

Really solid vets like Mccann, Bunting, Mangiapane, Parayko to settle things down and provide stability and leadership. Binner in net.

This tourny never brings the A-listers. This is a great and exciting team for this tournament, just enjoy it.

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
If you're not excited to watch this team are you even a hockey fan?

Bedard, Celebrini, Fantilli, Cozens, Power, Guhle etc as the young exciting "next wave."

Really solid vets like Mccann, Bunting, Mangiapane, Parayko to settle things down and provide stability and leadership. Binner in net.

This tourny never brings the A-listers. This is a great and exciting team for this tournament, just enjoy it.

Oh, i will for sure. It's just that my hopes probably were way to high after they told bubble guys to show up and some talks about Crosby maybe coming. Also a bit spoiled from 2015 when all those guys showed up in vienna and the world championship in Prague. It probably happens once a decade that i have the chance to see those guys within driving distance from home so i was hoping for more Crosby and less Mangiapane.

But it's definitely a very good roster for that tournament and it will maybe get even stronger with some adds.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad