Post-Game Talk: **** you, Drew Stafford. Jets lose 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Why do the Leafs for example get constant 2-3 day breaks? They come into almost every game rested and prepared. I wonder if the NHL is ever going to fix things like these, because it puts other teams into serious disadvantage

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
It seemed like PoMo was actually making progress in terms of making better decisions. Pavs sent down. Stuart, Thorbs, and Burmi in the pressbox to start the season. I thought wow, he's actually making the right personnel decisions.

He seems to have erased all of that with his terrible decisions over the course of the season.

Man, was it just me or did Enstrom have a ROUGH game. I'm a huge Enstrom supporter/fan, but yikes.

Trouba - He seems to really be struggling with puck handling lately. Just fighting it constantly.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It seemed like PoMo was actually making progress in terms of making better decisions. Pavs sent down. Stuart, Thorbs, and Burmi in the pressbox to start the season. I thought wow, he's actually making the right personnel decisions.

He seems to have erased all of that with his terrible decisions over the course of the season.

Man, was it just me or did Enstrom have a ROUGH game. I'm a huge Enstrom supporter/fan, but yikes.

Trouba - He seems to really be struggling with puck handling lately. Just fighting it constantly.

Not sure I agree with you on Enstrom. Granted I didn't watch with an extremely close eye, but he was noticeable in breaking up what was, essentially, a 3-on-1 and wasn't bad at all.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I shudder to think what the scoreline would have been without Toby. I thought he was very good.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Frustrating game.

Maurice - the bad penalties have been consistant for 2.5+ years now. This shouldn't happen for more than 2.5 months. This problem falls on the coach to correct and he's had no impact here. I'm starting to believe he'll never be more than a .500 coach.

Stafford/Burmi/Perreault - make this the top line on the Moose. These three have been ineffective all season and are hurting the team. People will rush to defend Perreault but he's regressed significantly this season.

Petan - where is this guy?

Connor - press box, really? We're all so smitten with Laine we can afford to just **** on our second best prospect?

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
picture.php

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Why do the Leafs for example get constant 2-3 day breaks? They come into almost every game rested and prepared. I wonder if the NHL is ever going to fix things like these, because it puts other teams into serious disadvantage

Conspiracy version - Leafs are a big market team and they want as many primetime, good games as possible. They want the teams to have long breaks as it gives them more rest, etc.

Real reason - World Cup made everything a bit loopy. It should catch up near the end as they have more tightly packed games then the Jets.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This as well. If he's trying to inflate his worth in a trade, he's doing a poor job of it. Safford's been beyond useless so far, though how much of it is due to his injury is another question. The dude is such a possession drag out there.

I'll just use your post as a jumping in point Corgis. :) I don't know if this is actually a thing, where you try to get a player going (whether for trade value or just to get them going), but if it is, it just seems like a stupid thing to do. Why would you put your teams success at risk by not playing players who are self motivated and skilled enough to win games?

I don't think it's a very good strategy to lose games in order to get an extra 3rd round pick.

The jets made some great personnel decisions at the beginning of the season, and that is probably all Chevy. Maurice is making incredibly hard to justify decisions.

At this point I would be playing Connor with 55 and 26. At least he can keep up and he will learn much faster than Stafford. To see him in the PB is just infuriating, while we make these other boneheaded decisions.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Frustrating game.

Maurice - the bad penalties have been consistant for 2.5+ years now. This shouldn't happen for more than 2.5 months. This problem falls on the coach to correct and he's had no impact here. I'm starting to believe he'll never be more than a .500 coach.

Petan - where is this guy?

Connor - press box, really? We're all so smitten with Laine we can afford to just **** on our second best prospect?

Maurice - I get the penalty concern over the full season. How does he stop Stafford from being a dummy and waiving his stick in Girardi's face in the final 3 minutes of a game? How do you "coach" that brain fart out?

Petan - he's injured

Connor - Should be with the Moose, not in the press box or on the ice with the Jets. He's not ready to play in the NHL and he doesn't bring anything more than the Burmi's and Thorburn's of the team as of right now. Get him playing time in the AHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure I agree with you on Enstrom. Granted I didn't watch with an extremely close eye, but he was noticeable in breaking up what was, essentially, a 3-on-1 and wasn't bad at all.

The player fanned on a pass on that play, allowing Enstrom to make the play. I have high expectations of Enstrom, especially in decision making and puck movement. Lately he's been making a lot of bad decisions and poor passes. He needs to be better, especially in tight games where an errant pass or poor clear can result in a bunch more pressure in the D zone.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Connor - Should be with the Moose, not in the press box or on the ice with the Jets. He's not ready to play in the NHL and he doesn't bring anything more than the Burmi's and Thorburn's of the team as of right now. Get him playing time in the AHL.

disagree. He brings potential. I'd rather watch Connor accomplish nothing than Thorburn or Burmi. I also don't believe he benefits any more from time on the Moose than on the Jets.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I would really like Tanev with Sheif and wheeler, he has great speed and works hard every shift . He at the very least could draw some penalties and dig the puck out to Sheif and wheeler. Frenchie has been horrible and so has Stafford , can you imagine if one of the young guys took the penalty that Stafford did , press box for sure next game . Thought Hutch played decent though .

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Exactly right. Vigneault utilizes a pressure forecheck system whereby two forwards attack the puck carrier from each side of the net. Worked terrific and caused us a lot of problems, although there were no catsrophic turnovers tonight. Seems to me that Vigneault likes to overload one side of the ice or the other in his forecheck systems- also very effective against us tonight.

All of our D with the exception of Morrissey (who imo has been our best and most consistent Dman) seem to assume that no one is going to forecheck them when they go to retrieve a puck. I point out Buff and Toby because they are our most experienced and highest paid D and they are WAAAAYYYYY to nonchalant about retrieving pucks.

Buff actually looks surprised when he 'finally' gets the puck and someone is forechecking him. I can't understand why he just takes his time.

Toby is smarter and looking but doesn't have enough time most of the time so freezes the puck on the boards waiting for help. I think he's lost a lot of quickness.

Trouba has been completely blah for games now, so I don't even really have an opinion.

Morrisey is head and shoulders above every other Dman we have.

The rest of the D? I'm not even going to explain.

If professional athletes still have difficulty figuring out that they need to bust their ass to get to a puck in time in order to make a good play, then I'm not even sure what the answer is.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I am soo sick of dumb penalties taken by the Jets.
Scheifeles penalty in the first was redicilous - and they scored.
Stafford penalty was ridicilous - and they scored.
Both penalties in the O-zone!

Scheif has taken a lot of braindead penalties I've noticed. He needs to be more disciplined.

Im still kind of a newbie on this board. Began posting when Ehlers got here. To begin with I really liked PoMo, mostly bc his interviews were pretty good. As time (and games) go by, I have started to question him more and more. In my opinion it is on the coach when a team is undisciplined, and I have to say that the Jets are just that. Lots and lots of stupid penalties last year and it has continued this year as well. On top of that PP seems to suck permanently. That also has to be on the coach.

I am really starting to question if PoMo is the right guy to take Jets to the next level.

New or not, you're correct.

I would love to see a list of the different penalties we take. I'll bet most are lazy penalties, those taken because the player didn't want to take that extra step and it's easier to grab and hook while coasting.

I actually yelled at my tv a few times last night as Wheeler had his stick in someone's gloves a few times and MP just coasts and hooks. They are both fast players and move really well, but for some inexplicable reason they feel like coasting and hooking in certain situations is the right thing to do.

The refs don't screw us, they actually let us be with numerous penalty calls every game.

We have the talent and the speed as it's demonstrated sometimes, we lack consistent motivation though.

I long for a tough coach who just wants to win with whoever performs. Screw anyone, ANYONE who coasts.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I shudder to think what the scoreline would have been without Toby. I thought he was very good.

It's amazing how two people can see totally different things in a game. :laugh: I thought Toby had a couple of bright spots, but more rough patches.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Maurice - I get the penalty concern over the full season. How does he stop Stafford from being a dummy and waiving his stick in Girardi's face in the final 3 minutes of a game? How do you "coach" that brain fart out?

Petan - he's injured

Bench. It's the only thing these guys are going to understand. It's been years, and it's time for some tough love. Skate and work hard and quit being lazy.

I think we have such a talented bunch of players, that's what makes it so frustrating to watch them so flat.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The player fanned on a pass on that play, allowing Enstrom to make the play. I have high expectations of Enstrom, especially in decision making and puck movement. Lately he's been making a lot of bad decisions and poor passes. He needs to be better, especially in tight games where an errant pass or poor clear can result in a bunch more pressure in the D zone.

True, but Toby angled him extremely well helping to make the play more difficult. He was also only put into that position because Buff had ventured near centre ice and meandered to the bench after the puck was turned over.

I think some of Toby's poor passes and decision making has been a direct result of poor forward play in our own end, the positioning has been utter crap and it puts a lot of pressure on the D.

Between the blue lines he has still been stellar.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
LOL @ people dying for Connor to come in... he's looked lost since the regular season started. Maybe lighting it up like he did in preseason wasn't the best thing for him, thought it'd be easy.

Don't get me wrong, Staff isn't the answer either, but Connor doesn't make this team much better at this point. Get the kid to the Moose.

Can't say I disagree with this statement.

For sure, get him to the Moose. Just in the meantime lets see if he can come around. It took half a season for Scheif to come around; I know Connor will as well. But, putting him in the PB for such an extended stretch is just so counter-productive.

Just so typical of Maurice to say one thing (oh I can't leave thorbs & Stu on the bench too long) and then do this to a rookie yet. He makes me so frickken mad.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
All of our D with the exception of Morrissey (who imo has been our best and most consistent Dman) seem to assume that no one is going to forecheck them when they go to retrieve a puck. I point out Buff and Toby because they are our most experienced and highest paid D and they are WAAAAYYYYY to nonchalant about retrieving pucks.

Buff actually looks surprised when he 'finally' gets the puck and someone is forechecking him. I can't understand why he just takes his time.

Toby is smarter and looking but doesn't have enough time most of the time so freezes the puck on the boards waiting for help. I think he's lost a lot of quickness.

Trouba has been completely blah for games now, so I don't even really have an opinion.

Morrisey is head and shoulders above every other Dman we have.

The rest of the D? I'm not even going to explain.

If professional athletes still have difficulty figuring out that they need to bust their ass to get to a puck in time in order to make a good play, then I'm not even sure what the answer is.

I think there is a bit of truth to this, especially with Buff but I think the forward support for the D has been abysmal at times, especially last night. Not nearly enough support down low to start break outs and wingers floating way too high in the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad