Post-Game Talk: **** you, Drew Stafford. Jets lose 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Lets not get too carried away, Jets hit 3 posts and Rangers only hit 1. One day Ehlers is going to convert on some of these chances. I still like the team make-up long term. And I think absent a 10 game loosing streak Maurice will be given the season.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So are the players just braindead when they dont know how to adapt during the game, or does Maurice not talk to them about how to adapt to what the opponent is doing?

I just dont understand how more often than not this team seems to lack the will to win.

Also Laine was out on 6v5, ducky10

Hmm, must have missed him, the whole thing was a cluster**** anyway.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
LOL @ people dying for Connor to come in... he's looked lost since the regular season started. Maybe lighting it up like he did in preseason wasn't the best thing for him, thought it'd be easy.

Don't get me wrong, Staff isn't the answer either, but Connor doesn't make this team much better at this point. Get the kid to the Moose.

I find Trouba quite disappointing. he seems to have absolutely no fire in his belly.

Can't say I disagree with this statement.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Our 1 powerplay was so terrible today that i can't even find words. Get Laine back there and fast !

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Lets not get too carried away, Jets hit 3 posts and Rangers only hit 1. One day Ehlers is going to convert on some of these chances. I still like the team make-up long term. And I think absent a 10 game loosing streak Maurice will be given the season.

I think you are right about Maurice but I don't have to like it.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
LOL @ people dying for Connor to come in... he's looked lost since the regular season started. Maybe lighting it up like he did in preseason wasn't the best thing for him, thought it'd be easy.

Don't get me wrong, Staff isn't the answer either, but Connor doesn't make this team much better at this point. Get the kid to the Moose.

Agreed. I doubt that Connor would have helped at all tonight. What I find mind-boggling as how he's spending time in the Press Box. It's not like the team has been practicing lately, because of the very heavy schedule. Get him to the Moose where he'll have a lot more days to practice and become more acquainted with being a pro. Get him into some games where you can start learning how to play against tougher opponents. Sitting him in the Press Box all this time is ****ing stupid.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Stafford was high-sticked behind the play a shift or two prior. No call.

Let's not make grand statements about careers or even seasons based on one ****** play.

That said, sit/shelter him. Try Perreault (who can actually play left wing!) and if that fails throw ****ing Tanev on the second line for all I goddamn care.

14 regulation losses and 3 OT/SO losses.

Congratulations, PoMo. With 17 losses Jets lead the league in games lost. They are tied with Stars and Yotes, but Jets have more regulation losses than either.

Babcock lead the league in losses last year. Maybe he's ****, too.

Better coaches have been fired for less. I do not for the life of me understand how PoMO is able to keep his job.

Maurice is here to guide this team as it emerges. Some rough nights had been scheduled. He's not invincible by any means, but he is shielded somewhat by the expection of growing pains.

Meanwhile Gerard Gallant is waiting for a phone call. Any time now Chevy.

We also need Armia back with his I'll do it myself for crying out loud -mentality.

Gallant was fired because he wanted more Chiarots/Stuarts/Thorburns, not fewer. So no, thanks.

I think Maurice deserves a little credit for keeping Postma in the lineup despite some pretty high-profile gaffes on Tuesday.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Just 1 point behind the Wild!

too bad they have five games in hand

Hopefully that's not 11 points by the time they catch up?

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I am soo sick of dumb penalties taken by the Jets.
Scheifeles penalty in the first was redicilous - and they scored.
Stafford penalty was ridicilous - and they scored.
Both penalties in the O-zone!

Scheif has taken a lot of braindead penalties I've noticed. He needs to be more disciplined.

Im still kind of a newbie on this board. Began posting when Ehlers got here. To begin with I really liked PoMo, mostly bc his interviews were pretty good. As time (and games) go by, I have started to question him more and more. In my opinion it is on the coach when a team is undisciplined, and I have to say that the Jets are just that. Lots and lots of stupid penalties last year and it has continued this year as well. On top of that PP seems to suck permanently. That also has to be on the coach.

I am really starting to question if PoMo is the right guy to take Jets to the next level.

Death128

Apr 15, 2007
Winnipeg
Hmm I don't like the title of this thread. It seems a bit too strong. Jets played well for the most part. A few parts of the game were very sloppy. PP needs work as usual. Decision to use Stanford over ehlers last game probably had the whole team weirded out. They started very slowly. The end of this game will only compound that problem.

Wheeler and scheifs will need to step up and lead the kids back into a proper game. Staffy will get his game back eventually. Pomo should stop his odd choices and trust his young goal scorers to get back in it.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Hmm I don't like the title of this thread. It seems a bit too strong. Jets played well for the most part. A few parts of the game were very sloppy. PP needs work as usual. Decision to use Stanford over ehlers last game probably had the whole team weirded out. They started very slowly. The end of this game will only compound that problem.

Wheeler and scheifs will need to step up and lead the kids back into a proper game. Staffy will get his game back eventually. Pomo should stop his odd choices and trust his young goal scorers to get back in it.

I agree.

You're in the wrong place if you want tempered disappointment after a loss. ;)

Kratti

Mar 16, 2006
While the result was a close loss what stood out to me was how much better a hockey team the Rangers looked compared to the Jets. They had a well-planned and executed break out and zone entry system while the Jets looked like a team with "no system and then dump it in" in comparison. The Jets really did not look dangerous whole night.

This is a bit alarming to me since I believe Jets have the better players, at least top end talent is much better.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
At the game tonight, I thought the Jets just had a garbage game all around. Our special teams is abysmal once again.

I agree outside a 12 to 15 minute stretch at the beginning of the second period we had no right being in that game. Rangers totally dominated. That being said the hockey gods were trying to throw us a bone.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Another player that has royally sucked lately as well is Buff. Stop being so nonchalant with the ****ing puck Buff!

Buff has been awful positionally all season. Lately he has become give away machine. During last seconds we would have got great scoring chance if Buff would have decent hands but no. I think Jets should beat head against wall harder. Why not give Buff 40 minutes of ice time. Let him play in both power plays. When opponent has the puck he should just relax and stand in neutral zone and point other players what to do and wait for opportunity to get in offensive zone so he can shoot hard well wide. Or better yet try that amazing wrap around move.

I think we should really give Buff more offensive opportunities because of his amazing shot, playmaking ability, soft hands and ability to read the play.

Lets build our power play around Buff so we can get amazing results. Laine should join Morrisey and not play on power play, they will learn so much just looking the real leader of the team.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

I agree Connor needs some big minutes with the Moose, look at what it did for Lowry and Petan! Fit him up with some horns and he will be NHL ready by the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Okay I slept on it but I'm still pissed off about last night. If the Jets can find a way to squeeze any remaining value out of Stafford on the trade market please do. I just don't think there is any now. Maybe at the TD if they retain max salary and are satisfied with a mid to late round pick.

Something is a bit fishy with the Connor situation. It makes no sense for him to be in the PB night after night rather than on the Moose. Makes you think Chevy gave him the promise of an NHL opportunity and NHL pay check to sign. Not necessarily the worst thing as you do want to move him out of the NCAA sooner rather than later. I guess they are hoping at some point he asks to go to the Moose so he can start playing.

And for those asking for Gallant you do realize he is pretty old school like Maurice? You'd be hard pressed to find another coach more Maurice like than Gallant. IMO if they move on from Maurice at some point it needs to be well planned out for the best future fit and not reactionary for the 1st unemployed coach available. That would make even less sense than having Stafford in the top 6 or Connor watching a season slip by from the PB.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Also slept on it. To me it was more lack of execution by the players than poor systems that did us in last night. You can have the best systems in the world (Not saying Moe has them) but if your players can't make simple routine passes, can't win a lot of battles and can't pick up the open man (All of which where prevalent last night) your going to look bad. Which is what the Jets looked like.

That still doesn't mean Moe should be left off the hook for playing Stafford at LW in the top 6. It should have been clear by midway through the 2nd that the play was dieing anytime he had the puck.

With regards to systems I have a hard time judging if what Moe is doing is going to fit long term. We are pretty reactionary here, last night it looked like we had poor systems or no systems, but if you asked this question after either Chicago game you'd get completely different answers. I think it's fair to question whether he is able to properly adapt in game where an opposing team has effectively countered his system and is pushing the play. Then again he did adapt in between the 1st and 2nd and the Rangers stopped getting odd man breaks like in the first.

The lack of practice time is also a factor. It must be very hard to tweak your system or iron out problem areas when you never get to practice. You also can't design set pp plays and work on them. I'm not happy with the pp but it's no surprise it doesn't function that we'll when you can't work at it. Not saying Maurice's personnel choices and set up help it either.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Personally I don't think either of our bottom pairing D men should have been on the ice for the last few minutes of the game.

Not sure I buy this "lack of practice time" reasoning myself. I guess we'll see once our schedule lightens up since it has to sooner or later. I can't imagine one or two more practices making that much of a difference.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Personally I don't think either of our bottom pairing D men should have been on the ice for the last few minutes of the game.

Not sure I buy this "lack of practice time" reasoning myself. I guess we'll see once our schedule lightens up since it has to sooner or later. I can't imagine one or two more practices making that much of a difference.

It's difficult to put into place things you can't practice, IMO. Video reviews and discussions can only get you so far.

I'm still of the mind that I won't start being really concerned until the schedule lightens up. If they don't appear to be more organized and able to execute systems and take it to teams, then I'll be worried.

Don't fully blame Stafford for last night, but I do wish the Jets would just move on from him already - he doesn't "fit" here anymore if he's not scoring.

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
So the second game in a row Stafford does something to cost us the game? What the **** does this guy bring to the table? He's useless. I honestly don't know what else Maurice could be doing wrong. Well, I guess he hasn't tried Laine with Thorburn and Burmi.. The team should be doing a lot better with the player material we have. If they don't start performing soon, fire Maurice, the guy's clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad