Post-Game Talk: **** you, Drew Stafford. Jets lose 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
And, just guessing here, 0-5-0 in the five games before that?

Yep. I'm saying the team is better than they were on that road trip. Are we ignoring the recent record in favour of going back to the 0-for road trip?

A 4-2-1 recent record isn't horrible, especially seeing where it came from. They were a minute away from another point yesterday. They are better than they were on the road trip.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Rangers could have been called for picks and interference multiple times last night as well. Simply NHL officiating makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Agreed, but everyone knows what they will call every single time....

1) high stick. (Stafford)
2) slashing a stick out of a player's hand (or breaking the stick). (Trouba)
3) tripping with a stick in the skates. (Scheifele)

The Jets take too many obvious penalties that every ref has to call. They might also get more than their fair share of questionable ones, but at least they should clean up the infractions that they know will be called.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed, but everyone knows what they will call every single time....

1) high stick. (Stafford)
2) slashing a stick out of a player's hand (or breaking the stick). (Trouba)
3) tripping with a stick in the skates. (Scheifele)

The Jets take too many obvious penalties that every ref has to call. They might also get more than their fair share of questionable ones, but at least they should clean up the infractions that they know will be called.

No disagreements thay they need to clean it up. Although I get sick of other teams getting much more leeway than us. I also see some teams get away with blatantly obvious calls as well, whereas if it where us wed be dinged immediately. The NHL needs to somehow address it's consistiency in penalty calling. Not last game specific but they let the opposing team get away with rubbing people out after they chip it out for the first part of the game, Morrissey than does it and he's in the box. It's stuff like that annoys me, players aren't stupid they see what's getting/not getting called and they adapt accordingly.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I got shouted down a month ago for suggesting mp has to be the one going to Vegas.

And you will again too. MP is in a bit of a slump. Stafford is just not very good. Lately he has been more 'not very good' than usual. He should have been moved in the off-season, coming off a 21 goal season. Sell high. :deadhorse We're stuck with him now. :dunno:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would love to have Gallant coach this team. Wonder what the odds of getting Hawerchuk would be?

At 53 Dale is a little old for a first coaching job in the NHL. I don't know that he would be interested. He seems to have a pretty good gig in Barrie. OTOH he has been pretty successful coaching junior. Maybe it is time. Generally speaking I don't think hiring a popular former star has been a very successful way of choosing coaches.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The Rangers could have been called for picks and interference multiple times last night as well. Simply NHL officiating makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Agree, but as I tell my kids, you can't change what others do, only what you do.

Our penalties seem to be mostly 'from behind' where we are being beat to the puck so we hook and grab.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Frustrating game.

Maurice - the bad penalties have been consistant for 2.5+ years now. This shouldn't happen for more than 2.5 months. This problem falls on the coach to correct and he's had no impact here. I'm starting to believe he'll never be more than a .500 coach.

Stafford/Burmi/Perreault - make this the top line on the Moose. These three have been ineffective all season and are hurting the team. People will rush to defend Perreault but he's regressed significantly this season.

Petan - where is this guy?

Connor - press box, really? We're all so smitten with Laine we can afford to just **** on our second best prospect?

Perreault was used too much at C IMO. Put him at LW, not just for a period or two and not with grinders and he will snap out of it. Not arguing that he has been good but he is just in a slump.

Stafford is another story. Burmi and Thorburn are yet another one.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And you will again too. MP is in a bit of a slump. Stafford is just not very good. Lately he has been more 'not very good' than usual. He should have been moved in the off-season, coming off a 21 goal season. Sell high. :deadhorse We're stuck with him now. :dunno:

Over the past two seasons (87 games) Perreault has 0.54 primary points per 60 minutes (5v5). That's Burmi and Lowry territory, despite much more productive linemates. His shot metrics have been quite good, but he hasn't been contributing much offensively at all, especially 5v5.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wheeler could have been called for hooking half a dozen times last night. It's amazing we didn't get called more.

He's not alone either.

Noticed that. It was like it was their 'go to' play. :laugh: First thing they did several times. :huh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IMO I protect Armia of that group. Yeah we'd lose one of them, but only one. I can live with that. Even though it would likely be Dano. I'd hope for it to be Perreault, as much as I love Matty P.

:laugh: Doesn't sound like it.

I can see the argument and some said it earlier before MP's slump was so long and obvious but I'm pretty sure it is just a slump. He'll snap out of it.

Meantime I see our veteran F's as Fefe, Wheeler, Little and Matchoo. I think that is about the number needed to stabilize and mentor the kids. I don't want to lose any of them for another couple of years at least.

OTOH it may be that Perreault has had 1 too many career injuries and has lost a step. If his game hasn't come around after another 30 games I may change my opinion. Too soon now though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Over the past two seasons (87 games) Perreault has 0.54 primary points per 60 minutes (5v5). That's Burmi and Lowry territory, despite much more productive linemates. His shot metrics have been quite good, but he hasn't been contributing much offensively at all, especially 5v5.

Last year - 71 gms, 41 pts.

I think so-called primary points get overemphasized. Very often the key play that leads to the goal gets the 2nd assist. Yes, more often on the 1st assist but I don't think that is consistent enough to justify the distinction. I tend to value goals slightly over assists too but only slightly. Finish is worth a lot but there are enough times when the scorer just needs to tap it in or that it happened to bounce off him that I don't want to exaggerate that difference either.

This year he has not been as tenacious as in the past, has not skated like he used to. Maybe he is trying to adjust his style to not get hurt so often. Whatever, it isn't working but I still expect him to turn it around.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It's pretty clear to me that Stafford and Perreault are replaceable by Armia, Petan, Connor, Copp. What I mean is, those players are better now and will be better in the future. Maybe Perreault bounces back, but Stafford has hit a decline. Copp has been more effective than Stafford. This is either an indictment of Stafford or praise of Copp I'm not sure which.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Last year - 71 gms, 41 pts.

I think so-called primary points get overemphasized. Very often the key play that leads to the goal gets the 2nd assist. Yes, more often on the 1st assist but I don't think that is consistent enough to justify the distinction. I tend to value goals slightly over assists too but only slightly. Finish is worth a lot but there are enough times when the scorer just needs to tap it in or that it happened to bounce off him that I don't want to exaggerate that difference either.

This year he has not been as tenacious as in the past, has not skated like he used to. Maybe he is trying to adjust his style to not get hurt so often. Whatever, it isn't working but I still expect him to turn it around.

Even if you take all even strength points, he has 3 goals and 21 assists at even strength in the past 87 games. On a per minute basis that's below Stafford, Copp, Dano and yes, Peluso. He gets a huge proportion of his points because he was playing left half wall on the first PP.

I love his energy and quickness, but the Jets have better offensive players for the top 9 and plenty of energy guys.

I don't mind keeping Perreault as a very good, high energy 3rd liner who gives you 65 games a season, but the Jets might be able to use a few million of his cap hit to re-sign Laine and Ehlers and Morrissey, etc. Meanwhile, I think Dano, Petan, Armia, Connor and Copp can fill in the on the wings and on the PP.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Even if you take all even strength points, he has 3 goals and 21 assists at even strength in the past 87 games.

I think the per-season point breakdown works a little more clearly here. He got 41 points in each of the last 2 seasons. So that's fine, based on what we're paying him. I don't have a problem with the fact that many of his points are play maker assists. Especially now that we have some more shooting firepower on the team.

I haven't checked recently, but historically advanced stats (e.g. hero chart) has been very complimentary to Perreault. And certainly my eye test is that Perreault can hustle and forecheck like a demon - so much so that many of us, in the past, have advocated putting him on a line with the rookies to lead by example, and show them how it's done.

This season has been a disappointment so far. But he certainly gets some slack from me, based on his history of solid contribution to this team. All players go through injuries and slumps.

I have no problem calling out his current lackluster play. But I'll give him some time. He's earned it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nah I just finished paying fees for next semester and buying a bunch of other stuff and haven't started my new job yet so im broke lol. Next time they come i will for sure go watch.

Totally understand. Way back when, when I was putting my self through university while working part time I could never afford to go to Jets 1.0 games. I think I went to 1 game live over those 4 years and that was as a B-day present. Also you had to listen to most of the games on the radio. Catching the morning skate should be pretty fun. Please give a report if you are able to.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Totally understand. Way back when, when I was putting my self through university while working part time I could never afford to go to Jets 1.0 games. I think I went to 1 game live over those 4 years and that was as a B-day present. Also you had to listen to most of the games on the radio. Catching the morning skate should be pretty fun. Please give a report if you are able to.

Yeah Im really looking forward to it :) i hope they dont decide to not skate tmrw. And I will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad