Post-Game Talk: You can't fire me, I quit. Pens - 1, It's a Tarp - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Aside from being on the ice for two goals against, what was scuds doing on the ice with 1:30 left and fleury pulled. Were the pens not trying to score. The more and more I see MJ's moves, he just might be over his head.

The only legit excuse for Scuderi being on the ice at that time would be that he accidentally fell off the bench onto the ice when The Pens drew the 'too many men on the ice' call.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We lost to a lottery team, who is dealing with injury and illness almost as much as we are. We not only lost, we got pretty well embarrassed after first period. Kunitz and Scuderi are two of the worst big ticket players I've seen on this team since the likes of Leclair's final days.

Damn near everyone played like ****. Sid had a couple good shifts (not his line, just Sid), and Geno played well. Despres was alright, but worlds better than Dumoulin, Scuderi, or Letang.

Megna and Dumoulin are waiver-material. Scuderi and Kunitz are garbage on skates.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yep

So, you're saying get Martin and Ehrhoff back, keep them with Scuderi and Letang, add back in Horny, Comeau, Bennett, and Downie, and this team is 1 deal for a top six rental forward from a cup team? :naughty:

Honestly with how hot and cold every single team in the east is with Boston finally losing some assets, I wouldn't doubt we make a Stanley Cup Final or flame out in the first round.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Getting Bennett and Downie back would at least allow Uher and Megna to get outta lineup. Baby steps. Bottom-6 has done dick the past two weeks.

Also don't think our lack of pushback the past week is a random coincidence.

True.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
As the president of the fan club, I don't think anyone has said that tonight.

I do think he was their best player against Colorado and Washington. He is not their best player. But he can have best individual games?

Edit: also, instead of passive-aggressiveness, anyone want to point out what he did wrong tonight?
I was exaggerating a bit there. He was "OK" tonight. Which is fine. He was still mentioned as a "+" here. It´s not necessary to give him pluses after every game, even if he just plays a standard game like this. There´s definitely a strong fanclub of Simon Després here, though so I will have to accept it and live with it :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My mind is split because:

-We do need top six help. Clearly. Not just now when we're shorthanded but when we get healthy too.

-At the same time we have plenty of breathing room as far as our playoff spot is concerned so there should be no urgency to make a move just to make one.

-And yet, I do want a move made now if only because I want whoever we get to have the maximum amount of time to get chemistry with Sid/Geno. If we wait til the TDL, that's much less time for guys to gel.

Which I guess all adds up to me thinking if we have to overpay a bit now compared to the TDL it might be worth it if only because of the chemistry thing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Poor play was more the culprit tonight. That and the 0-fer on the PP again.

D crossing over, giving that much room to Jagr.
Terrible giveaway by Kunitz.

-Dumoulin's decisions on moving the puck up ice are very slow and poor
-Scuderi on the ice with the goalie pulled:laugh:

Small move here but i'd send Ebbett down and bring up Drazenovic.
Maybe Megna as well and bring up Archibald.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Watching MJ's presser I liked what he said, that half the team is not responding and needs to start responding. Seems to me he's working them.

He can't afford many more nights like tonight, so hopefully he sees some urgency here.

Tonight was a Bylsma special from a coaching standpoint...a total cluster^&%#.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
+ Crosby scoring

- Rust not scoring on all his chances
-- Letang almost beatin' to puck by a Jagr who was 4 strides behind to start

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This was a telling game. Not because we lost. We're going to lose our share. But the way the league is set up now, you need to make it out of your division to reach the Final Four. The Devils may be bad this season, but they were HIGHLY motivated to beat us tonight. We had zero push back. It's disturbing. And don't think teams aren't paying attention. Basically, they know that if Downie is out of our lineup, we're fair game. Not. Good.

- This Malkin on left wing thing is just nuts. That's his worst position by far. Before this season, I think we could count the number of NHL games he's even played there! I simply don't understand.

- Dumoulin playing with Letang HAD to be a showcase situation. No other way to justify that one. Letang looks awfully better when he's with Harrington. Hopefully, Dumoulin's trade value wasn't destroyed tonight.

- I'm starting to loathe Brandon Sutter. Not because he's a bad hockey player, but because we (this new regime) is placing him on a pedestal, where he doesn't belong. It's LAUGHABLE that Sutter is ahead of Malkin on the center depth chart. That's grounds for a dismissal, really.

- I still really like Bobby Farnham.

- Simon Despres is right now our best player.

- JR, get on the phone and make a move already!

It's one reason that I'd trade Sutter. Beyond how he helps you add a top six winger, you also remove the temptation for the coach to misuse one of his biggest pets.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
We lost to a lottery team, who is dealing with injury and illness almost as much as we are. We not only lost, we got pretty well embarrassed after first period. Kunitz and Scuderi are two of the worst big ticket players I've seen on this team since the likes of Leclair's final days.

Damn near everyone played like ****. Sid had a couple good shifts (not his line, just Sid), and Geno played well. Despres was alright, but worlds better than Dumoulin, Scuderi, or Letang.

Megna and Dumoulin are waiver-material. Scuderi and Kunitz are garbage on skates.

You forgot the old age and washed up elements that the Devils currently are.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I was exaggerating a bit there. He was "OK" tonight. Which is fine. He was still mentioned as a "+" here. It´s not necessary to give him pluses after every game, even if he just plays a standard game like this. There´s definitely a strong fanclub of Simon Després here, though so I will have to accept it and live with it :laugh:

I can go either way. I do not believe he was responsible for the Jagr goal. I 100% the gap was fine and Scuderi needs to take him.

With that in mind, he got 7 SOG, and was cleaning up his own end all night. Do not think Pouliot's strong game is a coincidence.

Also, if someone is better than every other player at his position, I think a + is okay.

That said, Despres did not play a perfect game, and I believe he's getting caught up ice too much lately. Including when the team had the lead.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Add Bryan Rust to the group. He can skate, but can´t finish and can´t handle the puck.
Megna is hurting this team, so is Kunitz and Scuderi. Dumpoulin is just... MEH. We need to trade him if there´s a chance.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I hate it when I'm right. I really do.

Just when you think Letang is starting to "get it"...he doesn't. He has a chance for a one timer on that last PP and doesn't take it, THEN he waits until a guy is right in his face to attempt this weird half slapper that hits his foot and bounces out of the zone.

And Kunitz man. Kunitz. If there was ever a poster boy for accumulating a bunch of points while still being next to useless it's him.

The injuries are ridiculous at this point, but my God if anyone is still defending Shero when you see the crap that gets called up for promotions at forward, then you should not be allowed to spread your genes.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
My mind is split because:

-We do need top six help. Clearly. Not just now when we're shorthanded but when we get healthy too.

-At the same time we have plenty of breathing room as far as our playoff spot is concerned so there should be no urgency to make a move just to make one.

-And yet, I do want a move made now if only because I want whoever we get to have the maximum amount of time to get chemistry with Sid/Geno. If we wait til the TDL, that's much less time for guys to gel.

Which I guess all adds up to me thinking if we have to overpay a bit now compared to the TDL it might be worth it if only because of the chemistry thing.

We're at most 3 weeks like the last two from being near or in fact on the outside looking in.

There's less breathing room than some people appreciate.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Despres is caught up ice because he's one of the only guys left on the roster capable of generating ANYTHING offensively. And we cough the puck up way too easily when we have it.

I have no issue with that. It's a very small thing and right now we have so many bigger issues.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
This was a telling game. Not because we lost. We're going to lose our share. But the way the league is set up now, you need to make it out of your division to reach the Final Four. The Devils may be bad this season, but they were HIGHLY motivated to beat us tonight. We had zero push back. It's disturbing. And don't think teams aren't paying attention. Basically, they know that if Downie is out of our lineup, we're fair game. Not. Good.

- This Malkin on left wing thing is just nuts. That's his worst position by far. Before this season, I think we could count the number of NHL games he's even played there! I simply don't understand.

- Dumoulin playing with Letang HAD to be a showcase situation. No other way to justify that one. Letang looks awfully better when he's with Harrington. Hopefully, Dumoulin's trade value wasn't destroyed tonight.

- I'm starting to loathe Brandon Sutter. Not because he's a bad hockey player, but because we (this new regime) is placing him on a pedestal, where he doesn't belong. It's LAUGHABLE that Sutter is ahead of Malkin on the center depth chart. That's grounds for a dismissal, really.

- I still really like Bobby Farnham.

- Simon Despres is right now our best player.

- JR, get on the phone and make a move already!

Good post.. I support packaging Sutter, Spaling, and Dumo for whatever we can get them for.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I hate it when I'm right. I really do.

Just when you think Letang is starting to "get it"...he doesn't. He has a chance for a one timer on that last PP and doesn't take it, THEN he waits until a guy is right in his face to attempt this weird half slapper that hits his foot and bounces out of the zone.

And Kunitz man. Kunitz. If there was ever a poster boy for accumulating a bunch of points while still being next to useless it's him.

The injuries are ridiculous at this point, but my God if anyone is still defending Shero when you see the crap that gets called up for promotions at forward, then you should not be allowed to spread your genes.

Two questions:

1. Save drafting KK, is there anything substantively different that JR has done with this roster since replacing Shero that Shero would've done? Forget the talk. I'm talking actions.

2. Is there one Pens forward, save Sid or Geno, who played tonight who's better than Jagr? Heck, is there one who didn't play who's better?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He's Bobby Orr, Serge Savard and Larry Robinson all wrapped up in one, so it is surprising that they KEEP LOSING against bad teams like Florida, Washington and New Jersey with him playing so brilliantly.

Yep, dude should clearly be scoring all of their goals also. 1 goal in the last 6 periods and a PP that is the second worst in the league over the last month.

Of course, you don't even understand simple assignments and who to assign blame when thing break down, so I'm not surprised at your spot on "analysis" of Despres being the reason for their failures.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
It's one reason that I'd trade Sutter. Beyond how he helps you add a top six winger, you also remove the temptation for the coach to misuse one of his biggest pets.

Keep Sutter for 3C with Bennett and Downey, and we'd be fine.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA

I feel like he's a plus every game because I'm starving for a player that plays hard every game, can hit and not back down and has some skill with the puck. My love for Deprese is more of an indictment of the rest of the team than it is me fawning over him. I can enjoy a good solid defenseman that plays sound position blah... blah... blah... but there is something to be said for one that has a mean streak that seems to enjoy punishing the opposing team and can display some offensive skills.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We're at most 3 weeks like the last two from being near or in fact on the outside looking in.

There's less breathing room than some people appreciate.

Gotta figure Sid, Geno and Fleury will put the team on their back for at least a few wins here and there, though. We'll lose ground for sure unless bodies come back but I doubt we'll fall all the way out.

But we'll see how the next few go I suppose.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Keep Sutter for 3C with Bennett and Downey, and we'd be fine.

Until a week passes and Bennett is hurt again.

Honestly, I don't want Bennett's health being the only thing saving us from Sutter centering Malkin, but maybe that's just me. ;)

Except for the fact that Geno has zero legitimate scoring line wingers, and Kunitz is playing like El Stinko. :laugh:

The day you appreciate that Sutter > Sid > Malkin is the day you'll finally appreciate how MJ manages his bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad