You asked for it, here is your All Purpose San Jose Sharks Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Or take another team off the potential landing spots for Joe? (Yes, low chance he'd waive for them but it removes another team in need of a top 6 C...)

No chance he would waive for anybody. He is committed to and believes in this team, his teammates, and spent years taking hometown discounts when he could have made multi millions more on the open market.

In 2007-2008, he scored 96 points and was +18 that season at age 28, and the next two highest scoring Sharks were Michalek with 55 points, and Marleau with 48 points(Marleau was -19 lol). Guys like Drury and Gomez making headlines with their 7.5 million dollar deals. Imagine my jaw hitting the floor when I heard Thornton resigned at the lowly price of 7.2 million. He could have been UFA that year, and been given obscene money. He had been voted 1st, 2nd or 3rd best center in the league 5 seasons in a row. He ran away with leading a team in scoring and scored literally double the amount of points -19 Marleau.

He has been loyal to the organization, his teammates, and the fans. And Couture and Pavelski followed his lead and took hometown discounts as well.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
No chance he would waive for anybody. He is committed to and believes in this team, his teammates, and spent years taking hometown discounts when he could have made multi millions more on the open market.

In 2007-2008, he scored 96 points and was +18 that season at age 28, and the next two highest scoring Sharks were Michalek with 55 points, and Marleau with 48 points(Marleau was -19 lol). Guys like Drury and Gomez making headlines with their 7.5 million dollar deals. Imagine my jaw hitting the floor when I heard Thornton resigned at the lowly price of 7.2 million. He could have been UFA that year, and been given obscene money. He had been voted 1st, 2nd or 3rd best center in the league 5 seasons in a row. He ran away with leading a team in scoring and scored literally double the amount of points -19 Marleau.

He has been loyal to the organization, his teammates, and the fans. And Couture and Pavelski followed his lead and took hometown discounts as well.

We'll see how long that lasts. I'm becoming fairly positive what we are seeing right now is the result of 3 primary factors, none of them bode well for this team in the short term:

1) The terrible TV deal the Sharks are locked into
2) Negotiating for a new arena so they can seat enough fans to be profitable. (20,000+)
3) Sending a message to Joe and Patty that Wilson has no intention of improving this team in anyway, thus they will get no support, and any cup hopes are dead.

Obviously the TV deal is the big issue here, and there have been a couple articles about it. The Sharks decided to combat this issue by winning a cup and using that to re-negotiate the deal. I think it's pretty clear they have abandoned that plan at this point. Likely they had a cut off date years ago where if they had not won a cup by some year they would go to plan B. I expect that was a year ago, the team's success last season caused them to buy into one last season, but after the worst choke job so far there is absolutely no chance they will risk that again. I think plan B is to lose, and lose in a very mediocre way in order to hurt attendance and ratings enough to backup a threat to leave San Jose. This will cause the city to get involved (as losing the Sharks would devastate the local community) and put pressure to re-negotiate the tv deal. The Sharks can then leverage this situation against the city to negotiate a new arena as well (near Levi it sounds like).

The downside of this is obvious. The Sharks cannot make the playoffs for a plan like that to work. They have to walk a fine line between being bad enough to justify a threat/bluff to leave San Jose, but not so bad that they spend another decade trying to rebuild their fanbase.

No competent businessman is going to allow an entire corporation to be handicapped by a situation like this TV deal creates. Platner is of course smart enough to know this, and he likely see's it as in the best interest of the team, but at the cost of some pretty rough waters ahead.

The more I think about it, the more afraid I am we are in for more than one very frustrating season until this gets resolved.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
refresh my memory... who's the idiot that signed the TV deal?

We all love to hate on DW, but more than likely a fair amount of that hate should be pointed Jamison's way. I think we'll find out as time goes by how much he screwed up this franchise more and more,.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
We all love to hate on DW, but more than likely a fair amount of that hate should be pointed Jamison's way. I think we'll find out as time goes by how much he screwed up this franchise more and more,.

Different responsibilities.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

They do overlap, and they do certainly have ripple effects. Jamison signing such a terrible deal likely isn't the only stupid mistake he made, and more than likely team building strategy was changed in order to account for this.

Who knows what those thing were, but I wouldn't be surprised if it influenced decisions like the Cheechoo/Heatley deal, Ehrhoff, Havlat, etc. The refusal to offer high dollar, or long term, contracts, etc.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
They do overlap, and they do certainly have ripple effects. Jamison signing such a terrible deal likely isn't the only stupid mistake he made, and more than likely team building strategy was changed in order to account for this.

Who knows what those thing were, but I wouldn't be surprised if it influenced decisions like the Cheechoo/Heatley deal, Ehrhoff, Havlat, etc. The refusal to offer high dollar, or long term, contracts, etc.

Havlat was a DW favorite and he unsuccessfully pursued him off and on for years earlier in Havlat's career. Cheechoo needed to go. The multiple hernia injuries had turned him into a pylon with a shot. Heatley was 'next man up' for that process. I think they preferred Blake's steady nature (despite the decline in play) over error's irregularities.

I'd see more to the argument of Jamison's poor decisions contributing to spending constraints if the Sharks didn't dance and flirt with the cap every year.

Less than you might imagine. Perhaps because there is less $ to go around compared to other sports but there is definitely a tighter relationship between owner/ownership group and the personnel department.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Havlat was a DW favorite and he unsuccessfully pursued him off and on for years earlier in Havlat's career. Cheechoo needed to go. The multiple hernia injuries had turned him into a pylon with a shot. Heatley was 'next man up' for that process. I think they preferred Blake's steady nature (despite the decline in play) over error's irregularities.

I'd see more to the argument of Jamison's poor decisions contributing to spending constraints if the Sharks didn't dance and flirt with the cap every year.

Less than you might imagine. Perhaps because there is less $ to go around compared to other sports but there is definitely a tighter relationship between owner/ownership group and the personnel department.

Yah, my point was just things like that may have been influenced, just as examples.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
Yah, my point was just things like that may have been influenced, just as examples.

Right, and I'm saying I think it has less to do with the names and more to do with some of the dollars and mostly the term. I think they, over the years, shaved years off contracts and gave NMCs or future promises of NMC to compensate.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Right, and I'm saying I think it has less to do with the names and more to do with some of the dollars and mostly the term. I think they, over the years, shaved years off contracts and gave NMCs or future promises of NMC to compensate.

yup

and I think we may see the undoing of that going forward, but it's going to take them a couple seasons to untangle the mess and we as fans are going to be stuck in the middle.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
yup

and I think we may see the undoing of that going forward, but it's going to take them a couple seasons to untangle the mess and we as fans are going to be stuck in the middle.

Interestingly, GM's were lauded by the talking heads on TSN's FA frenzy day 1 for the shorter term guys were getting. It's almost like the Sharks were ahead of the curve.

ChrisWinsor

Oct 21, 2010
San Jose PP Defence

With Boyle gone, and Burns back to D full time, who's gonna be the #2 guy?

Demers looked good. Irwin got the second most PP ice time.

How do you guys see next season playing out for the San Jose D?

Any predictions on Irwin/Demers point totals would be a plus, thx

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Demers re-signs for two years with a $3.4M cap hit.

I like it!

OK, so here is our roster as of today:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.667m) / Logan Couture ($6.000m) / Matt Nieto ($0.759m)
Joe Pavelski ($6.000m) / Tomas Hertl ($0.925m) / Tommy Wingels ($2.475m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Joe Thornton ($6.750m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.350m)
James Sheppard ($1.300m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / Mike Brown ($1.200m)
John Scott ($0.700m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Mirco Mueller ($0.894m) / Jason Demers ($3.400m)
Scott Hannan ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($1.600m)
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
BUYOUTS
Martin Havlat ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$175,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,855,000; BONUSES: $1,015,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,145,000

Thornton as 3C is unlikely, but it would fit the rhetoric wilson has been spouting. Who here thinks DW is done, this is it and its now time (for him) to go golfing?

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
1st unit of Burns/Pavelski
2nd unit of Demers/Irwin

Demers and Burns might be swapped.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
1st unit of Burns/Pavelski
2nd unit of Demers/Irwin

Demers and Burns might be swapped.

Demers is a better QB than Burns. Pavs is more of a trigger. I would suggest:

PP1 - Pavs - Demers
PP2 - Vlasic - Burns

Vlasic's offensive game has improved a lot, and given our current roster he is our best option on the left (Irwin should be gone in a year). PP time would help Vlasic reach his full potential, he is poised for a breakthrough. Lets let a pairing of Vlasic and Burns develop together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad