You asked for it, here is your All Purpose San Jose Sharks Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Sharks are horrible and DW sucks and Plattner doesn't really care and we're all doomed forever.

I think I got the gist of the last few offseason threads here these past few weeks.

You forgot that life is also one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My thoughts exactly. Can we drop the puck now? Please?

Dropping the puck at this point isn't going to do much. Realistically, they're in a no-win situation. Either they win and make the playoffs and fail or they lose and probably miss the playoffs without being so bad that they can get a high impact pick. Either way, it proves most of what has been said about the team thus far.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Dropping the puck at this point isn't going to do much. Realistically, they're in a no-win situation. Either they win and make the playoffs and fail or they lose and probably miss the playoffs without being so bad that they can get a high impact pick. Either way, it proves most of what has been said about the team thus far.

Everybody's just going to push for the most negative version of it as they can. They could get to game 7 of the SCF and it'll be the same ****

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Everybody's just going to push for the most negative version of it as they can. They could get to game 7 of the SCF and it'll be the same ****

It blows, really.

I love hockey and the Sharks but this team (as currently constituted) has just frustrated me to no end. I have zero expectations at this point. Or I guess, as PF said, I expect them to lose in the 1st or 2nd round. Anything past that and it's house money with this team. Maybe that's the silver lining.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm not sure what direction this team is going in and my father bought a ten game pack for the new season. I'm excited for it because I love live hockey, but it feels like the Sharks as an organization are alienating the fanbase.

By Alienating the fanbase, I also don't mean the whole Ice Team idea, which has been blown way out of proportion. There are benefits to Ice Teams and cheerleaders. They do go out and sell the team to the community, and make the team more active in the community. I wonder if Plattener sold it like that if people would be more forgiving. To me, it's not a big deal, though I understand why it might be to some. Still, I read the Sharks grading on Puck Daddy a few weeks ago and the Sharks got an F because of the Ice Girl idea. I wish people would rather get all the facts than jump straight to unfounded conclusions. There is a whole lot more going on that is bad about this team right now than Ice Girls or Ice Teams. Try coming off of a playoff choke job, signing players like John Scott, letting go a very popular guy in Drew Ramenda, and threatening to move the team because the TV deal is bad. This offseason has been wacky, for sure.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If they got to game 7 of the Cup Finals, I think a lot of it subsides even if they don't win. Sure, the initial sting of losing the championship will hurt a lot and people will lash out due to it but when it would be put into perspective, that would be an absolutely positive season. But is that a realistic expectation at this point? Is that even something you can convince yourself is a longshot possibility?

I can't unless there is some huge strides taken by a few players or impact trades are made.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
If they got to game 7 of the Cup Finals, I think a lot of it subsides even if they don't win. Sure, the initial sting of losing the championship will hurt a lot and people will lash out due to it but when it would be put into perspective, that would be an absolutely positive season. But is that a realistic expectation at this point? Is that even something you can convince yourself is a longshot possibility?

I can't unless there is some huge strides taken by a few players or impact trades are made.

If we got to Game 7 and lost this board will melt down at first but then after awhile be happy.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

If they miss the playoffs, fate could intervene and win us the lottery.

I am just tired of waiting for Wilson to get a clue. Think he's done. Might as well watch some hockey and wait another year to hope for better.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lol, the team is more likely to win the cup with a record of 16-0 than lose in the SCF.

Since 2009, only one eastern team has won and it was a luck ridden Boston team that rode Tim Thomas' ridiculous play against an injured Vancouver squad.

If we can beat any WC team, we can beat any EC team.

But we can't. We won't be playing against an east coast team in the playoffs for another 5 years at least so it's really pointless to say.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
The doom and gloom on here is at insane levels..

We are not even halfway thru July and people are jumping overboard because DW hasn't addressed the hole at LHD. There is plenty of time for a deal to be done over the next 2.5 months. But unlike most of you, I feel our LHD problem is addressed by moving Braun/Burns to that spot.

I still hope DW is actively shopping JT. And looking for a Burns replacement in the top 6.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

As if. We got cheated out of Lindros. You really think Gary would let precious McDavid come to the Sharks? No, mark my words, he'll go to an east coast time or a Canadian team. There's not chance in hell hell end up in California or on the Sun Belt.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I can convince myself of one or two longshot possibilities. One is that we actually have a case where we can have competent defensemen in Burns, Braun, or Demers on each of our pairings for once. Put any of those guys with Vlasic and you can make very different types of top pairings. Considering the Tennyson signing, I'm somewhat convinced they're gonna attempt to put one of the RDs on LD though. LD depth still sucks, don't get me wrong. If they seriously change their mind about competing, they go and get a real LD.

Vlasic-Braun Vlasic-Demers
Irwin-Burns Burns-Braun
Hannan-Demers Irwin-Tennyson
xxx=whichever rookie or extras

I won't try to convince you that it's a great situation but it's what is currently there at the beginning of the 3rd week of FA.

The forwards still here are the forwards that were counted on to do something in addition to a healthy Torres and an improved Hertl and Nieto. Regardless of the stupid goon signings, Let's say:

Wingels-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Hertl-Sheppard
xxx-Desjardins-xxx
xxx=Burish/Kennedy/Scott/Brown/Oleksuk/Hayes/Hamilton/Tierney

Ideally some of the more expensive crappier guys like Burish and Kennedy are moved. Also, substitute players in the top 9 as you see fit. It's a fairly flexible group even if the Couture-Marleau duo is considered more static.

Goalie situation is a little iffy because I don't know what we'll be getting out of Niemi or Stalock. Niemi's career has been somewhat short as a starter and it's been on a rollercoaster trajectory IMO. Stalock is new blood but it's not improbable for him to take over. He could either go the way of Lindback or Bishop. One failed, one studded up.

There are question marks but the game's not played on paper.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I am just tired of waiting for Wilson to get a clue. Think he's done. Might as well watch some hockey and wait another year to hope for better.

Fate and the Sharks winning something like that have not been kind to this franchise. As a pseudo-expansion team, the team couldn't get the #1 pick of the draft...which is not the norm...including the next season when the two expansion teams got to pick 1 and 2 ahead of the Sharks who were by far the worst team in the league in their first year. lol

I'd like to be positive but it's hard given the team's history in terms of getting luck from something like draft positioning.

I can convince myself of one or two longshot possibilities. One is that we actually have a case where we can have competent defensemen in Burns, Braun, or Demers on each of our pairings for once. Put any of those guys with Vlasic and you can make very different types of top pairings. Considering the Tennyson signing, I'm somewhat convinced they're gonna attempt to put one of the RDs on LD though. LD depth still sucks, don't get me wrong. If they seriously change their mind about competing, they go and get a real LD.

Vlasic-Braun Vlasic-Demers
Irwin-Burns Burns-Braun
Hannan-Demers Irwin-Tennyson
xxx=whichever rookie or extras

I won't try to convince you that it's a great situation but it's what is currently there at the beginning of the 3rd week of FA.

The forwards still here are the forwards that were counted on to do something in addition to a healthy Torres and an improved Hertl and Nieto. Regardless of the stupid goon signings, Let's say:

Wingels-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Hertl-Sheppard
xxx-Desjardins-xxx
xxx=Burish/Kennedy/Scott/Brown/Oleksuk/Hayes/Hamilton/Tierney

Ideally some of the more expensive crappier guys like Burish and Kennedy are moved. Also, substitute players in the top 9 as you see fit. It's a fairly flexible group even if the Couture-Marleau duo is considered more static.

Goalie situation is a little iffy because I don't know what we'll be getting out of Niemi or Stalock. Niemi's career has been somewhat short as a starter and it's been on a rollercoaster trajectory IMO. Stalock is new blood but it's not improbable for him to take over. He could either go the way of Lindback or Bishop. One failed, one studded up.

There are question marks but the game's not played on paper.

I actually agree that they're not far in terms of talent from being competitive and getting to a level where they could luck out and win if the matchups were in their favor. But in terms of mindset, they're far, far away from it with the guy running the ship as the manager. It's tough for me personally to believe that Jumbo has the mindset needed for it as well. I think they'd have to stack the team on the blue line to have a shot but they don't seem interested in doing that. The cap space is there for the most part. I don't think they're willing to do it now...but they don't seem willing to blow it up to make real change...and I don't see losing Boyle, Havlat, and Stuart as real change here. I don't see adding Scott as real change.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Michael Hanzus as a Cup ring, is he better than Alex Ovechkin?

This is a trite and terrible argument.

Handzus won a cup as a depth guy. If Ovechkin wins a cup, it will be as a premier player.

When comparing Ovechkin to his peers, ie, Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Toews, his lack of a Cup hurts him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I actually agree that they're not far in terms of talent from being competitive and getting to a level where they could luck out and win if the matchups were in their favor. But in terms of mindset, they're far, far away from it with the guy running the ship as the manager. It's tough for me personally to believe that Jumbo has the mindset needed for it as well. I think they'd have to stack the team on the blue line to have a shot but they don't seem interested in doing that. The cap space is there for the most part. I don't think they're willing to do it now...but they don't seem willing to blow it up to make real change...and I don't see losing Boyle, Havlat, and Stuart as real change here. I don't see adding Scott as real change.

Losing Boyle, Havlat, and Stuart is a boon in that it gives them a ton of flexibility to work with in terms of cap space and contract space I guess. If DW wants to do something later on in the season, he won't be handcuffed by the cap for the most part. I'm iffy about the mindset. I have nothing to go off of for that which says anything worthwhile to me.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
As if. We got cheated out of Lindros. You really think Gary would let precious McDavid come to the Sharks? No, mark my words, he'll go to an east coast time or a Canadian team. There's not chance in hell hell end up in California or on the Sun Belt.

So we get no.2 and draft Eichel

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Has Demers done enough to stay as the #2 or does burns get it to start us off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad