Yakopov produces point/game

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He will probably never be a great NHL'er, but the Oilers have more than their fair share in blame on his fate. Eakins, the constant coaching changes a toxic locker room - it all came at the wrong time for Yak.
that's a cop out...the writing was on the wall with this kid long before that.
Eakins is the EASY scapegoat, but Yak was lazy and complacent from the get go.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
that's a cop out...the writing was on the wall with this kid long before that.
Eakins is the EASY scapegoat, but Yak was lazy and complacent from the get go.

I'm not sure Yakupov has ever been lazy on or off the ice. Perhaps stubborn would be a good word for him. On top of just not being all that good.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not sure Yakupov has ever been lazy on or off the ice. Perhaps stubborn would be a good word for him. On top of just not being all that good.

I dont think he is very coachable either. He just doesn't seem at all open to feedback on his limitations. Thats been a major problem for Yak and its primarily why I think his NHL career will be coming to an end soon.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
the most entightled, self centered player .
not wanting to improve your play is stubborn, and also lazy...kid is complacent and i'm starting to think
ego plays a large part of it.
I get a lot of fans loved his smile, and post like "look at him celebrate, what a gem!!", " look at how happy he is when his team mate scroes!!!!...what a beauty!!!"
but then everyone else on the team were team mates...this kid was off on his own, and Hall got the brunt with the goofy posts like " hall is ostracizing him"
I always saw him as selfish....Taylor Hall took heat for this kid being a megalomaniac.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I dont think he is very coachable either. He just doesn't seem at all open to feedback on his limitations. Thats been a major problem for Yak and its primarily why I think his NHL career will be coming to an end soon.

The fact that he seems to fairly quickly get in the dog house of basically every coach he's ever had leads credence to this line of thought.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yikes. Sounds like Yak is already in the dog house in Colorado. He has talent but he's so freaking dumb sometimes. I think he's KHL bound eventually which is a shame. NHL coaches simply don't allow players to play so irresponsibly.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
MUqMF6G.gif

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yikes. Sounds like Yak is already in the dog house in Colorado. He has talent but he's so freaking dumb sometimes. I think he's KHL bound eventually which is a shame. NHL coaches simply don't allow players to play so irresponsibly.

Not sure I would use the word dumb to describe him, but lack of hockey sense might be more appropriate. He was able to free wheel and go solo in junior against other kids, but that type of game never works in the next levels. He was beyond over-rated , and although the Oilers were a mess during his time here, it is rather naive to think that, that was the reason he has turned out as he has. He has had many other coaches since then, and it's the same thing. He is what he is. As someone else mentioned on here, he can appear to be a very likeable guy, with that big smile and funny comments, and that endears him to fans, who really want him to succeed. But once you strip that away, you have a guy that has a fair amount of physical talent, but a distinct lack of talent to think the pro game properly, not to mention, a stubborness trait that is embedded in his DNA.

Reactions: guymez

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I'm sure there's a handful of Avs fans that will start blaming Bednar for not playing Yak more and 'giving him a chance'. We've seen the same said here and in St. Louis. Some fans just can't understand that it isn't the coaches fault that Yak has a ten cent hockey brain.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is the problem that him and Larionov still think that he has no flaws to his game and that he should just be gift wrapped minutes game after game?

Larionov did have the comment here that one year how there was nothing left to play for so why not let Yak play. Maybe he had that mentality from the day the season started in Colorado.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Whether it's a shit-hot start or just a shart, way to go Yak. Once an overburdened disappointment scapegoat Oiler, always an overburdened disappointment scapegoat Oiler.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Whether it's a ****-hot start or just a shart, way to go Yak. Once an overburdened disappointment scapegoat Oiler, always an overburdened disappointment scapegoat Oiler.

How is he overburdend? Is he having trouble spending his millions?

If so, I can help.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I'm beginning to doubt that. He can play hockey, just not very well. I mean, didn't the Russian coaches not want him either?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Is the problem that him and Larionov still think that he has no flaws to his game and that he should just be gift wrapped minutes game after game?

Larionov did have the comment here that one year how there was nothing left to play for so why not let Yak play. Maybe he had that mentality from the day the season started in Colorado.

Larionov is poison. Theres a reason Galchenyuk fired his ass

Reactions: Digger12

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It appears the "chased by bees" comment from Ferraro when asked to describe Yak's style of game will forever apply to him.

I wonder if in practice he still only wants to work on his one timer.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Love Yak but hes had dead cat bounces for the last 4 years in Edmonton/StL and now Colorado. Last year Blues fans thought they got a steal in him after first 5 games. I think hed produce 5 more points total after in only 35 games due to being scratched. In Mcavids first year here, Yak had like 5 goals and 9 points in first 10 games IIRC. If you compare his first 10 games PPG to his PPG after 10 games, I bet its nearly quadruple.
Id wager he gets at max 15 more points the rest of the year
Colorado is a decent spot for him but I still think he needs a bit more structure. Dallas would be perfect as they have great offense but the D can also move the puck well

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Colorado is a decent spot for him but I still think he needs a bit more structure. Dallas would be perfect as they have great offense but the D can also move the puck well

Doesn't that kind of describe St. Louis though? They played with lots of structure too (and Hitchcock is a coach who lives and breathes structure), and had great dmen like JBo, Shattenkirk and Parayko to move the puck up ice, and Yak wasn't able to take advantage of that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Its possible. It really looks as if Larionov is part of the problem.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It appears the "chased by bees" comment from Ferraro when asked to describe Yak's style of game will forever apply to him.

I wonder if in practice he still only wants to work on his one timer.

I've watched him a fair bit this year and he has really ironed a lot of that out of his game. That more than anything gives me hope for his future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad