Yakopov produces point/game

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yakupov is doing well offensively because he is getting PP time and is on a line with a 1C (Duchene). Yakupov also produced fairly well when paired with McDavid briefly in the 2015-2016 season. I think it simply comes down to opportunity with this guy. If paired with a talented player he can put up decent points (although i need to see more than just a sample size to confirm) but don't entrust him to tow a line.

Precisely this. But in most instances, in most sports, a #1 pick offensive player would be granted a regular diet of offensive opportunity. Particularly the way drafts are staggered so that the poorer clubs get the #1 pick, and thus, supposedly, the opportunity for the player to have primo minutes on a struggling club. That's the way its supposed to pan out for young stars. At no point here was Yak given a go to assignment on topline. He was barely getting 2nd line.

The Blues did worse. Healthy scratched the player more than half the season, gave him limited bottomsix minutes when they even did let him put on the Sweater.

Yak will succeed provided a club KEEPS him in topsix rotation and lives with the mistakes. When Yak is going there are more positives in his input. Its all confidence, and feeling it with this player. Keep that warmed up and you got a player.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oilers need a RW who can shoot. Honestly, I think Yak needed a change of scenery, but was the best return for him really a bag of pucks.

Obviously you forgot what people were offering to us for Yakupov. They wanted us to retain his contract and take on a bad one in return. We were LUCKY to get a 3rd which could have beena 2nd if he performed. What kind of return can a 20 point player get anyways? *sigh*

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Do these Yakupov apologists not realize that he was more detrimental, both on and off the ice, to the team than helpful?

He whines about lack of opportunity but When given a simplified role, he can’t produce. Then complains to either trade him or else.

This guy needed a fresh start. If he ends up like Dubnyk and blossoms, so be it. He obviously wasn’t working here or his subsequent teams either until he was almost out of the league.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Its been 4 or 5 games, this board is a joke sometimes.

Is there a disagree button for posts like this that are too dumb to comprehend?

What about the other 29 teams who couldve gotten him for literally nothing?

I want him to do well, but I also know that when he inevitably fizzles out posts like these are always a good laugh.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do these Yakupov apologists not realize that he was more detrimental, both on and off the ice, to the team than helpful?

He whines about lack of opportunity but When given a simplified role, he can’t produce. Then complains to either trade him or else.

This guy needed a fresh start. If he ends up like Dubnyk and blossoms, so be it. He obviously wasn’t working here or his subsequent teams either until he was almost out of the league.

Eakins was detrimental. To a huge degree. I actually praise Yak and his agent being the lone camp to challenge this pathetic coach who should never have been a coach in the NHL in the first place.

In many cases in worklife you can only be as good as the management above you. If they bury you, and decide that they're going to do that, theres not much else you can do.

Yak can produce, with producers. Simple as that.

Reactions: booyakasha

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
the Oilers were lucky to get what they did for that hump.
Unfortunately you’re right about us being lucky to get anything for him.

If he was worth more than St. Louis wouldn’t have just walked away from him rather than retaining his rights.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Eakins was detrimental. To a huge degree. I actually praise Yak and his agent being the lone camp to challenge this pathetic coach who should never have been a coach in the NHL in the first place.

In many cases in worklife you can only be as good as the management above you. If they bury you, and decide that they're going to do that, theres not much else you can do.

so could a pylon.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I feel like that whole team was a toxic mess at the time, Yak was negatively affected by it for sure, and I'm sure his struggles contributed to the general hopeless feeling as well

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Nice guy. Some good hockey skills. As dumb as the bag of pucks we traded him for.

Now there is a new set of fans, Avs fans in this case, blinded by his 'skill'. It happened in St.Louis as well early into last season.

Skate Yak, Skate! Those bee's are gonna catch you!

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Nice guy. Some good hockey skills. As dumb as the bag of pucks we traded him for.

Now there is a new set of fans, Avs fans in this case, blinded by his 'skill'. It happened in St.Louis as well early into last season.

Skate Yak, Skate! Those bee's are gonna catch you![/QUOTE]

like those nightmares you have ,where you try your hardest to run but don't move....Yak moves his legs so fast, but goes no where. running still.
man-in-hamster-wheel-gm691895370-127654559

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Can we not have a thread for this? I'm very happy for Yak so far, but I really dislike having dedicated threads to ex-Oilers here. It's almost always nothing but pointless bashing and grousing sparring with pointless "what-ifs". He's gone, I hope he turns it around, but it's not relevant to the Oilers anymore.

Is there somewhere I can officially petition to have my 'ignore thread' feature re-instated on the boards? :laugh:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Yak had no intention to better his skills away from the puck. Period. That’s why he kept playing lower in the line up. its Too bad he never put effort to improve in anything but his shot...which wasn’t that great either anyway in hindsight

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yak had no intention to better his skills away from the puck. Period. That’s why he kept playing lower in the line up. its Too bad he never put effort to improve in anything but his shot...which wasn’t that great either anyway in hindsight
Fair, and well expressed point. But haven't most of us been in a situation at somepoint or other in our lives that was no win. Yakupov under Eakins was a no win, clearly, and sometimes in life its just a matter of trying to "survive the bastards"

Aside from that the Yak that was scratched by Eakins for two games was a #1 pick that had just played a 48 game lockout season and led the team in scoring. Yet he was scratched two games into the subsequent year by the new coach who had no expressed reason for doing it. Two forward were benched that season. The other was Ryan Smyth. A weird case of Eakins picking his spots.

ps Yak has a shot. Its a cannon. Its misfired a lot in the past..

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Fair, and well expressed point. But haven't most of us been in a situation at somepoint or other in our lives that was no win. Yakupov under Eakins was a no win, clearly, and sometimes in life its just a matter of trying to "survive the bastards"

Aside from that the Yak that was scratched by Eakins for two games was a #1 pick that had just played a 48 game lockout season and led the team in scoring. Yet he was scratched two games into the subsequent year by the new coach who had no expressed reason for doing it. Two forward were benched that season. The other was Ryan Smyth. A weird case of Eakins picking his spots.

ps Yak has a shot. Its a cannon. Its misfired a lot in the past..

Having a hard shot that is inaccurate is useless btw.

At the end of the day, he didn't put enough effort in the eyes of multiple coaches to play better without the puck. Every time he's looked "good" recently, it's all small sample sizes that flame out. We'll see if this lasts.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Having a hard shot that is inaccurate is useless btw.

At the end of the day, he didn't put enough effort in the eyes of multiple coaches to play better without the puck. Every time he's looked "good" recently, it's all small sample sizes that flame out. We'll see if this lasts.

100% agree.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Yakupov is doing well offensively because he is getting PP time and is on a line with a 1C (Duchene). Yakupov also produced fairly well when paired with McDavid briefly in the 2015-2016 season. I think it simply comes down to opportunity with this guy. If paired with a talented player he can put up decent points (although i need to see more than just a sample size to confirm) but don't entrust him to tow a line.
You are right. Yak was able to produce even with Derek Roy. He just needed someone to play with. Absolut asset mismanagement. He should have played with a decent center, then produce a bit and after that traded for the help elsewhere. Actually, the Oilers lack scoring wingers

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
You are right. Yak was able to produce even with Derek Roy. He just needed someone to play with. Absolut asset mismanagement. He should have played with a decent center, then produce a bit and after that traded for the help elsewhere. Actually, the Oilers lack scoring wingers
yak isn't a scoring winger, so who cares?
he wouldn't be helping anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad