Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
4QeLl.gif

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
2 G 2 A in his first 6 games played last season...

10 pts in 11 GP in 15/16...

I am one of those who would love for him to turn things around and build a career. He got a chance on the new Oilers a couple of seasons ago, that was the time to put in an effort if he wanted it. Then another chance in STL and now on almost league min salary on last season's worst team. He obviously can play when motivated, problem is (has been) when we start moving into the season, say November / December.

Let's see how it goes this year. Hopefully he can keep this up, but I still would not trash the Oilers for his short comings in previous seasons.

Reactions: Aerrol

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Yeaaahhh, and last year he looked to be turning into a first line forward for the Blues, earning rave reviews from fans and media and Hitchcock himself. That lasted two weeks.
Always hope for the best for him, but, let's just see.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC
Obviously even worse asset management by St. Louis, as they let him walk for nothing.

Reactions: OilDrop37

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Screw Yakupov. Lazy little whiner who twice publicly asked to be traded from the Oilers.
The first trace demand coming before he had even played a season's worth of games in the NHL.
I seldom wish a player ill. Yakupov would be an exception to that rule.
Dubnyk too - have to add that in case the usual suspects come along and say 'oh if only he was a good Saskatchewan boy you'd love him ... '

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Screw Yakupov. Lazy little whiner who twice publicly asked to be traded from the Oilers.
The first trace demand coming before he had even played a season's worth of games in the NHL.
I seldom wish a player ill. Yakupov would be an exception to that rule.
Dubnyk too - have to add that in case the usual suspects come along and say 'oh if only he was a good Saskatchewan boy you'd love him ... '

The fact that he said trade him if not on the top 6 was all I need to know about his character. He might be a great person off ice but on ice, his ego is Hall level. Too bad he didn’t play as well to justify it.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Well, let's see if this topic is still relevant by christmas. That said, I hope he finally turn things around.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Don't think effort or passion for the game was ever an issue for Yak. Just needed a coach that had time for him and was willing to work with him and give him opportunity. Krueger and Nelson were those types of guys. Eakins was too busy trying to use him as an example (and admiring himself in the mirror), and McLellan has zero time or patience for high maintenance players.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for me--this is a bad idea of a thread and should be in the "around the nhl" thread or "renamed "former oilers" thread

I am accused often of living in the pass on this site--this is an example of many on this board not being able to move on

most of us hope the best for YAk--it just did not work out here.

I was one of the last to accept that fact and I hope he goes onto a great career

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Yeaaahhh, and last year he looked to be turning into a first line forward for the Blues, earning rave reviews from fans and media and Hitchcock himself. That lasted two weeks.
Always hope for the best for him, but, let's just see.
The situation CHANGED in STL. They were anticipating a good start, being able to cruise into the playoffs, but instead struggled out of the gate and thus putting pressure on Hitchcock to try to save his own job and go different ways. Yak went from producing to not playing much or being buried in bottomsix. Circumstantially, the Blues went a different way.

Whats harder to understand is a draft team that benches Yak 2 games into the season after his rookie season in which he led the team in scoring and has a player killer coach that decides arbitrarily to make Yak a target.
The Org even sees a resurrection in the player after the firing of the divisive Eakins and he has life with Derek Roy as Center and Nelson as coach. The Oilers do what the Oilers do, and immediately can both of them. Yak goes on to play well with McD but is removed from that assignment and then sunk back down the lineup by a coach with a history of going with Vets. Yak flounders with a defensive Center that had 5 EV assists all year, Eberle gets the plum assignment with McD, Yak gets dealt, then Eberle gets dealt anyway.

In effect the Oilers went the other way, tried to resurrect Eberle's game traded him regardless, and lost Yak too. They lost two talented wingers both of which could be better than what they have in the lineup now.

How impossible would it have been for the Oilers to rotate players like Eberle and Yak with McD to warm them both up. Playing every game with McD is taxing and demanding due to how hard it is to keep up with the kid and attempt to play commensurate with his level.

Unfortunately the Oilers not making the most out of players continues.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
This wouldn't be a thread if everyone watched his 2 'goals' from game 1.
Conversely anybody who saw his home ice performance against Boston in which he was first star and dominated the game would think he's a superstar in this league. Had a goal and an assist, was setting up Duchene all night and 2-3 of which were outstanding plays, and also hit a crossbar and had another goal called back that one replay showed went over the line. Yak had around 6 shots in that game that he absolutely wired that the goalie had a hard time shaking off.

Having said that if The Av's move Duchene, and its expected they will, I could see the wheels potentially falling off. Yak hasn't had a lot of fortune since rookie season.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Oilers need a RW who can shoot. Honestly, I think Yak needed a change of scenery, but was the best return for him really a bag of pucks.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Colorado is first in the league standings and Yakopov is one of their top point producers. Awesome asset management from the Oilers

Yes, because it was the Oilers who said "You are useless and will never amount to anything". He said he wanted out and wanted a change. Move on. Geez. :shakehead

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The situation CHANGED in STL. They were anticipating a good start, being able to cruise into the playoffs, but instead struggled out of the gate and thus putting pressure on Hitchcock to try to save his own job and go different ways. Yak went from producing to not playing much or being buried in bottomsix. Circumstantially, the Blues went a different way.

Whats harder to understand is a draft team that benches Yak 2 games into the season after his rookie season in which he led the team in scoring and has a player killer coach that decides arbitrarily to make Yak a target.
The Org even sees a resurrection in the player after the firing of the divisive Eakins and he has life with Derek Roy as Center and Nelson as coach. The Oilers do what the Oilers do, and immediately can both of them. Yak goes on to play well with McD but is removed from that assignment and then sunk back down the lineup by a coach with a history of going with Vets. Yak flounders with a defensive Center that had 5 EV assists all year, Eberle gets the plum assignment with McD, Yak gets dealt, then Eberle gets dealt anyway.

In effect the Oilers went the other way, tried to resurrect Eberle's game traded him regardless, and lost Yak too. They lost two talented wingers both of which could be better than what they have in the lineup now.

How impossible would it have been for the Oilers to rotate players like Eberle and Yak with McD to warm them both up. Playing every game with McD is taxing and demanding due to how hard it is to keep up with the kid and attempt to play commensurate with his level.

Unfortunately the Oilers not making the most out of players continues.

No organization is as good at ruining young talent like Edmonton is.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Yakupov is doing well offensively because he is getting PP time and is on a line with a 1C (Duchene). Yakupov also produced fairly well when paired with McDavid briefly in the 2015-2016 season. I think it simply comes down to opportunity with this guy. If paired with a talented player he can put up decent points (although i need to see more than just a sample size to confirm) but don't entrust him to tow a line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->