Confirmed Trade: [WSH/TOR] Rasmus Sandin for 2023 BOS 1st round pick and Erik Gustafsson

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Insult to injury with that pick being a bit higher now.

5th to last because I think Conference Semifinalists still get to pick ahead of 1st Round Exit Teams if they had a worse regular season record.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Insult to injury with that pick being a bit higher now.

5th to last because I think Conference Semifinalists still get to pick ahead of 1st Round Exit Teams if they had a worse regular season record.

1st/2nd round have no impact on draft rank.

The impact only starts at conference finals.

29 = Conference final loser with worst record
30 = Conference final loser with best record
31 = Stanley Cup finalist
32 = Stanley Cup winner

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It’s probably getting traded anyway, but it’s nice to see some clarity on that

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How would that happen? How would seven teams jump in front?

I'm not sure, but I have read it can be as high as 25th

No way. Picks #1-28 are based on regular season standings (pending lottery), and Boston finished with the best regular season record. So it's guaranteed that their pick is #28.

I'm not going to pretend I know how, because I don't but I have read it can be as high as 25th.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

I'm not going to pretend I know how, because I don't but I have read it can be as high as 25th.
This is all incorrect. As of tonight the pick is established as 28. Check last years Florida Panthers 1st Rd Pick.

Exactly as said below.
No way. Picks #1-28 are based on regular season standings (pending lottery), and Boston finished with the best regular season record. So it's guaranteed that their pick is #28.

Reactions: uncleben

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

I mean sure, depending if Arizona tampered again, they could be stripped of a couple 1st rounders and everyone could move up. As everyone else mentioned though, it's locked in at #28.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Last night, he looked ok, but not great. Washington is a bad team, so it's hard to evaluate Sandin. Lillegren looks better this year, but that could be from being on a much better team.

Last year he produced a ton with Washington, in a short time, wasn't sustainable as Carlson is back.

OK player, decent future but Leafs shouldn't worry much about losing him. He's not clearly better than Lillegren, I realize TML had to lose either Sandin or Lillegren. Either or both guys could have solid long careers, but neither will be a star, or top pairing defenseman. If I had to predict their careers, Lillegren will be better defensively, Sandin offensively.

Reactions: uncleben

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
the stock of Easton Cowan, the guy the Leafs used this pick on has just been rising higher and higher since the draft so most people are pretty cool with the trade now from that side of things

• Love
Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How has Year 2 started for ol' Rasmus?

He looked solid offensively with the Caps after the trade but that was with Carlsson out right? Carlsson is getting the 1st PP usage now so Sandin is left trying to produce with lesser talent on the 2nd PP.

He's playing 20-22 min's a game from what I can recall. Paired up with Carlsson at 5/5 and 2nd PP unit. I guess both PP units have Ovi on it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the stock of Easton Cowan, the guy the Leafs used this pick on has just been rising higher and higher since the draft so most people are pretty cool with the trade now from that side of things

There are two ways to look at it.... Habs comparing Kidney vs Roy with CHL production. Kidney was neck and neck with Roy with points but Roy is by far the better rated prospect.

So the question I would ask with Cowan is how he is getting his points and is he a line driver. Does he handle physical contract well and how is his skating/shot/vision/hockey IQ.

It's his age 18 season. Good enough to be considered team Canada WJC this season or next?

Wherever you read it, don't trust them again. :laugh:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
There are two ways to look at it.... Habs comparing Kidney vs Roy with CHL production. Kidney was neck and neck with Roy with points but Roy is by far the better rated prospect.

So the question I would ask with Cowan is how he is getting his points and is he a line driver. Does he handle physical contract well and how is his skating/shot/vision/hockey IQ.

It's his age 18 season. Good enough to be considered team Canada WJC this season or next?

Doesnt shy away from contract, relentless moto, great skating and edges, hockey IQ is probably one of his best assets. Biggest weakness would be his shot.

He is currently playing 1C for london on both special teams, and is driving play.

Dont think the leafs will be regretting this trade at all.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Doesnt shy away from contract, relentless moto, great skating and edges, hockey IQ is probably one of his best assets. Biggest weakness would be his shot.

He is currently playing 1C for london on both special teams, and is driving play.

Dont think the leafs will be regretting this trade at all.

Fingers crossed!

Cowan looks great, but we had high hopes for Sandin that are hard to put down. Feels like we have been talking about Sandin for 4 years

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

As a Flyers fan who has a prospect in Barkey as Cowan's linemate, I will just say that the talk on the Flyers board is how Barkey is the beneficiary of Cowan driving the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00