Confirmed Trade: [WSH/TOR] Rasmus Sandin for 2023 BOS 1st round pick and Erik Gustafsson

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Ya and if you do the poll now, what would the result be?
doesnt matter what it would be now. hindsight is 20/20. some trades just dont work out. doesn't change the fact that almost the entire hockey world thought it was a very good trade at the time.

there are things you can make an argument about why Dubas should be fired but I dont think this is one of them. on paper it looked very good. Barrie just didnt click.

Reactions: Smif

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I was “chastising” you because you were wrong. Your statement was “Carlson is back.” Factually Carlson has not played a single game since before Christmas so NO he is NOT “back.”
Carlson is back . Debut Thursday just as predicted . Feel silly now ?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
hed almost be torontos leading scoring dman. calling him a #6-8 is wrong.

why do some leaf fans trash the guy after hes gone.

Get point doesn't mean get a higher impact. Leafs fan are ALL agree than sandin having a great hockey vision and offensive instinct... the problem with Sandin was not there.

Hes slow, hes small... so defensivly its extremely hard for Sandin to compete and struggle really hard defensivly... so come playoff time, its not the kind of player you want on the ice on your defensive zone...
He'll be traded soon at this rate, Keefe playing guys like Holl over him sometimes.

His icetime in March has been ridiculous.

Holl had one of best defensive stats amount all the NHL D whatever how much leafs fan trash talk about him...
Vs
liljegren whos more like kind of risky dman and probably the worst leafs dman since mccabe trade

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Get point doesn't mean get a higher impact. Leafs fan are ALL agree than sandin having a great hockey vision and offensive instinct... the problem with Sandin was not there.

Hes slow, hes small... so defensivly its extremely hard for Sandin to compete and struggle really hard defensivly... so come playoff time, its not the kind of player you want on the ice on your defensive zone...

Holl had one of best defensive stats amount all the NHL D whatever how much leafs fan trash talk about him...
Vs
liljegren whos more like kind of risky dman and probably the worst leafs dman since mccabe trade
Holl did great the 1 season when he was paired with Muzzin , don’t feel the results have been quite the same for the last 2 . Liljgren risky ? You sure you’ve watched him this year ? He’s been rock solid . Very much a modern 2 way guy . He’s the main reason why Sandin was viewed as expendable as he’d clearly passed him on the pecking order ( yes i understand they play different sides ) .

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Holl did great the 1 season when he was paired with Muzzin , don’t feel the results have been quite the same for the last 2 . Liljgren risky ? You sure you’ve watched him this year ? He’s been rock solid . Very much a modern 2 way guy . He’s the main reason why Sandin was viewed as expendable as he’d clearly passed him on the pecking order ( yes i understand they play different sides ) .

Holl this season is one of main reason why leafs survive to Muzzin and all injuries leafs had and how leafs had been one of best defensive team this season. Yes offensivly or when holl having the puck in his stick, its not great and everyone is agree with it... But when its time to defend, overal he had been excellent ...

And yes Liljegren im risky, we can just watch last 2 leafs game and you can easily see why.

Yesterday, the only 5v5 goal against leafs... who did the mistake? Liljegren when he saw kampf get the puck, the only thing he had in mind was about offensive and been overagressive and didn't recognize the situation. When he understand jt/kampf would be unable to clear the puck out of the zone, he was already out of position and the time he came back at a good position, cousin was already all alone in the slot

Game vs NYI

1st goal unstead of just blocking and passing lane after switching from parise to mayfield, he had been again over-agressive in mayfield, get cought out of position and gave up a free passing lane before mccabe wqs unable to cover lilly player

2nd goal: take all time of the world as last man in dzone, result turnover and islander scored

Its exemple of 3 risky play he did last 2 game who cost 3 goal and thats why liljegren is risky and why keefe never been able to fully trust him

Liljegren is not a 2 way modern dman, hes a puck moving dman and holl is a stay-at-home dman.

Reactions: TS Quint

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

Vs
Funny, I am one of the few Holl backers who believes he should play over Lilly come playoffs. The young Leaf fanbase believes the NHL is similar to the video games they play. Lilly will continue to grow, but playoffs demand a particular type of D Man.

Leafs have enough such D Men that Lilly should sit IMO. I also agreed with trading Sandin. Getting a First was huge.

Reactions: TS Quint

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Funny, I am one of the few Holl backers who believes he should play over Lilly come playoffs. The young Leaf fanbase believes the NHL is similar to the video games they play. Lilly will continue to grow, but playoffs demand a particular type of D Man.

Leafs have enough such D Men that Lilly should sit IMO. I also agreed with trading Sandin. Getting a First was huge.
I think if you switch holl and liljegren age, it would be completly the reverse scenario... trash talk about liljegren and praise holl game... but at the end come playoff time how old your player is or where is the potential he can reach doesn't have any kind of impact.

We see the same exact thing with knies with people thinking he should play in leafs top 6 or top 9 ... they thing because the kid having a nice potential than that mean hes better RIGHT NOW than a veteran... in a very deep foward group...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yes, it's always impressive to pace for the 2nd highest GA in the NHL. Your eye for talent is impeccable here, as always.
Did you happen to see the Caps down the stretch? They punted on the season. Sandin wasn’t great defensively but he wasn’t as bad as the numbers suggest and he was shoved into some tough minutes. Kuznetsov and Backstrom were two of the worst defensive forwards in the league this year and Sandin and whoever he was partnering with bore the brunt of playing the most minutes with them.

Sandin should slot in well with a partner like Jensen playing second pairing minutes. His ice time increased 35% as he went from playing sheltered third pairing minutes on a top five team to playing 23 minutes a night as the #1 for a dumpster fire so an adjustment was to be expected. This isn’t to say that he doesn’t need to improve defensively because he does but I do think it’s a bit disingenuous to just look at his GA (or his points for that matter) to mark his performance.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Yes, it's always impressive to pace for the 2nd highest GA in the NHL. Your eye for talent is impeccable here, as always.
that's a shortsighted thing for you to say. i know he's not going to keep that pace but if he did he'd have scored 65 points this season. 25 more than any defenseman on the leafs. all for the cost of $1.4m. it was an impressive start to a new team.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad