Confirmed Trade: [WPG/MTL] Sean Monahan for 2024 1st round pick and conditional 2027 3rd round pick (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
We know how good Monahan was playing this season. We told Jet fans that they would be really like the play of Monahan. The only issue is health. Hopefully Monahan proves everyone wrong on that part too. WTG Monahan.
I remember when you guys were trying to sell him as a good defensive player. He's exactly what I said. Poor 3rd line center with 2 strengths. Faceoffs and PP. That was a horrific trade for the Jets. I know our forwards sure enjoyed playing against him today. A goal against every 4th shift.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He doesn't have the offense Monahan provides though.

Still provide some while also being a better player on the defensive side, and being a top tier center on the draw

I liked Monahan, and whish he comes back with us, but to me, it's pretty clear cut which one is better between him and Danault

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Still provide some while also being a better player on the defensive side, and being a top tier center on the draw

I liked Monahan, and whish he comes back with us, but to me, it's pretty clear cut which one is better between him and Danault
Careful. Most Habs fans somehow think Monahan is Danault defensively. It's pretty clear to everyone outside Montreal who the better one is too.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Careful. Most Habs fans somehow think Monahan is Danault defensively. It's pretty clear to everyone outside Montreal who the better one is too.
Most Canadiens fans do not think Monahan is Danault's defensive equal, or even claim he is good defensively. We just don't agree with people who claim Monahan is a poor defensive player.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Most Canadiens fans do not think Monahan is Danault's defensive equal, or even claim he is good defensively. We just don't agree with people who claim Monahan is a poor defensive player.
I think I even wrote somewhere that "Monahan is no Danault", but somehow there is no light at all between not-being-Selke worthy and being a completely 1-dimensional player.

I see he got two goals on the powerplay , weird how you guys call a singular real goal a hat trick that's weird
I don't get it either, 1 goal*, no assists, in 6 games, that really isn't that great. Why is he such a disappointment?

*: His 3 PP goals don't count, obviously.

Found it: "While he isn't a Danault-type, he's ok defensively, but can't be used as a checking-type."

Last edited:

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Bullshit lol

This isn't even the point Scintillating10 was making either

Scintillating10 seems to prefer what Monahan brings to the table, compared to what Danault brings, while I think Danault bring more overall

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Bullshit lol

This isn't even the point Scintillating10 was making either

Scintillating10 seems to prefer what Monahan brings to the table, compared to what Danault brings, while I think Danault bring more overall
There can be no argument on who is better. Danault has 136 points over the past 3 seasons. Monahan has 76. The only area they are comparable in is faceoffs. Danault is VASTLY superior.

I think I even wrote somewhere that "Monahan is no Danault", but somehow there is no light at all between not-being-Selke worthy and being a completely 1-dimensional player.

I don't get it either, 1 goal*, no assists, in 6 games, that really isn't that great. Why is he such a disappointment?

*: His 3 PP goals don't count, obviously.

Found it: "While he isn't a Danault-type, he's ok defensively, but can't be used as a checking-type."
No, you argued Monahan was a good defensive player. He's not, he's brutal defensively. He's not quite as bad as Kuzmenko, but he's just as bad as Huberdeau.

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
There can be no argument on who is better. Danault has 136 points over the past 3 seasons. Monahan has 76. The only area they are comparable in is faceoffs. Danault is VASTLY superior.

No, you argued Monahan was a good defensive player. He's not, he's brutal defensively. He's not quite as bad as Kuzmenko, but he's just as bad as Huberdeau.
Sean Monahan was injured the previous two seasons. This season he has five more points than Danault. I'm not saying Monahan is better than Danault, but let's be fair when making comparisons.

"While he isn't a Danault-type, he's ok defensively, but can't be used as a checking-type." is the quote from pth2. That hardly sounds like they are claiming Monahan is a good defensive player. It is a fair rebuttal to people who think Monahan is "brutal defensively".

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Sean Monahan was injured the previous two seasons. This season he has five more points than Danault. I'm not saying Monahan is better than Danault, but let's be fair when making comparisons.

"While he isn't a Danault-type, he's ok defensively, but can't be used as a checking-type." is the quote from pth2. That hardly sounds like they are claiming Monahan is a good defensive player. It is a fair rebuttal to people who think Monahan is "brutal defensively".
Did you read pth2's posts in the thread? He definitely said Monahan is a good defensive player multiple times. He is brutal defensively. You can't be logical and claim otherwise. He's good on the PP, good in front of the net and in the slot. Good at faceoffs. The rest of his game is replacement level.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Must be fun, winning all those arguments against strawmen arguments you just made up, to conveniently make a poor argument you can tear to shreds.

Reactions: viceroy

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

lol. You're using point totals instead of points per game when one missed roughly an entire season. Not to mention he was playing on Calgary's third/fourth line three seasons ago because he played with a torn labrum the entire season to help Calgary get into the playoffs (which ended up being the last time since everyone else on the team didn't want to be there). After the season he had hip surgery. Since coming to Montreal he's scoring at a 0.67 points per game pace while Danault is at a .63. Danault's defensive game has also fallen off. I'd still take Danault overall but it's not even remotely as far apart as you are portraying it. Danault also got first wave PP time last season which boosted his numbers quite a bit compared to his normal role as defensive 2/3C.

Your attitude is so strange. Monahan literally gave his body to the Flames and was backstabbed by the GM. You are literally remembering his play as a guy playing with a torn hip. The guy who showed up in the playoffs for the Flames more often than Tkachuk and Gaudreau while taking less money. Fans should be angry at Treliving, not trying to denigrate Monahan at every opportunity. Somehow Treliving turned doing such a bad job into a promotion where he's immediately made Toronto worse with a bunch of bad signings.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Did you read pth2's posts in the thread? He definitely said Monahan is a good defensive player multiple times. He is brutal defensively. You can't be logical and claim otherwise. He's good on the PP, good in front of the net and in the slot. Good at faceoffs. The rest of his game is replacement level.
Clearly, you haven't watched him play in a long time.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Dude just take the L and stop posting

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Clearly, you haven't watched him play in a long time.
Honestly he's been pretty bad defensively on the Jets too. Loses his man in the defensive zone constantly. I'd rather he take faceoffs and defer the rest of the center duties to somebody else.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Honestly he's been pretty bad defensively on the Jets too. Loses his man in the defensive zone constantly. I'd rather he take faceoffs and defer the rest of the center duties to somebody else.
Fair. Though that type of issue is pretty common early in a mid season trade. Interesting to see if you notice the same issues over time. Defensive zone coverage was not an issue he was having in Montreal.

Reactions: Atoyot

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Winnipeg got a taste of their own medicine lol

but seriously, do not trade with MTL, they have a media advantage that allows an overrating of their players AND they actually have a solid GM known for fleecing

trade with Montreal at your own peril

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Winnipeg got a taste of their own medicine lol

but seriously, do not trade with MTL, they have a media advantage that allows an overrating of their players AND they actually have a solid GM known for fleecing

trade with Montreal at your own peril
Can I interest you in some of our turdastic players like 6.5M/yr washed up Gallagher or overpaid low IQ plug Josh Anderson?

I hear your future GM is a fan too, we'd make great trading partners. :sarcasm:

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Look at Montreal record since Monahan trade shows his value. We are 1-4 while giving up 21 goals. A 4.2 goals against per game. With Monahan our GA was 3.46

Only win was against lowly Ducks. Habs were .500 team with Monahan.

Monahan is a proven ppg center with right linemates. Gives you assets in more areas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1