Confirmed Trade: [WPG/MTL] Sean Monahan for 2024 1st round pick and conditional 2027 3rd round pick (Mod warning OP)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There's no way we getting Monahan back now is there? Jets sure to lock him up. Everybody knows now how good he is. We should never have traded him.

Jets powerplay in 47 games before Monahan, 15.7%. In 7 games with Monahan, 31%..
He could refuse to sign with jets and come back in offseason.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I thought Anderson was pretty decent there for a while this season though he's cooled down this last month. Armia on the other hand has probably been playing his best hockey with us in a while.
Andy had a ten game stretch in December where he looked like he found his game. Short of HuGo eating half of his remaining deal, we're likely stuck with him. At $2.75 million, maybe you can get a return close to what Jeannot got when the Lightning overpaid.

Armia has a few games every year where he looks like the player he can be. Then he goes back into a coma. A cap floor team looking for an NHL body might take the last year of his deal for futures.

I know we need NHL forwards but, honestly, I'd rather replace them at this point. One at least.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He could refuse to sign with jets and come back in offseason.
I knew when Monahan was on pace for 55 points playing with Gallagher and Anderson what it was going to be. I said he's 80 points with good linemates. Low contract, good on faceoffs, good on powerplay and penalty kill. We'll never see him play for Montreal again. Teams know how good he is now

Reactions: Flair Hay

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
There's no way we getting Monahan back now is there? Jets sure to lock him up. Everybody knows now how good he is. We should never have traded him.

Jets powerplay in 47 games before Monahan, 15.7%. In 7 games with Monahan, 31%..
Hughes already said that Monahan agreed to renew as long as we trade him to a contender at deadline and hellz no to extending him hes good today but hes a broken glass why give him more years the guy is playing for a contract so will hide the pain but hes been missing practices the whole year for "therapy day"

Reactions: HabsQC and hn777

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Hughes already said that Monahan agreed to renew as long as we trade him to a contender at deadline and hellz no to extending him hes good today but hes a broken glass why give him more years the guy is playing for a contract so will hide the pain but hes been missing practices the whole year for "therapy day"
stfu there's no way Hughes said that :laugh:

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Hughes said they couldn't agree on the terms of an extensions. I believe Monahan either wanted more term or more money. That's why they traded him to gather assets.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
stfu there's no way Hughes said that :laugh:
Hughes basically promised him that if the Habs werent in a playoffs position he would trade him to a contender HuGo knew damn well the Habs were never competing for the playoffs he obviously signed Monahan for a trade he was never looking at extending him
Hughes said they couldn't agree on the terms of an extensions. I believe Monahan either wanted more term or more money. That's why they traded him to gather assets.
false

When we signed Sean this summer, we signed him because we knew he was a player who made us a better team on the ice and in the locker room. I can’t say enough good things about Sean. He was a very important player for us. There was some stuff that came out in the media, and we pride ourselves on not letting things leak. I had to call him to tell him the rumours were real, and even though we’re better with him in the lineup, we don’t have enough clarity in our future to offer him a reasonable contract. So, in that case, we were better to trade him to give him a chance to play for a very good team.”

Reactions: MajorWeber

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Hughes basically promised him that if the Habs werent in a playoffs position he would trade him to a contender HuGo knew damn well the Habs were never competing for the playoffs he obviously signed Monahan for a trade he was never looking at extending him
I'm talking about the first sentence of your post. "Hughes already said that Monahan agreed to renew as long as we trade him to a contender at deadline", sounds like you're saying Monahan will be back in Montreal next year

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm talking about the first sentence of your post. "Hughes already said that Monahan agreed to renew as long as we trade him to a contender at deadline", sounds like you're saying Monahan will be back in Montreal next year
He agreed to re-sign in Montreal in the summer of 2023 as it was expected he'd be moved to a contender at the 2024 deadline.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Andy had a ten game stretch in December where he looked like he found his game. Short of HuGo eating half of his remaining deal, we're likely stuck with him. At $2.75 million, maybe you can get a return close to what Jeannot got when the Lightning overpaid.

Armia has a few games every year where he looks like the player he can be. Then he goes back into a coma. A cap floor team looking for an NHL body might take the last year of his deal for futures.

I know we need NHL forwards but, honestly, I'd rather replace them at this point. One at least.
What I find frustrating with Anderson is that on a different team, with a different coach and playing system, he could be OK. Still likely overpaid, but not as useless as he's been recently. I can't help but wonder if Josh Anderson could be a fit in Philly, with his old coach who'd keep him on his toes.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
What I find frustrating with Anderson is that on a different team, with a different coach and playing system, he could be OK. Still likely overpaid, but not as useless as he's been recently. I can't help but wonder if Josh Anderson could be a fit in Philly, with his old coach who'd keep him on his toes.
I agree. I think there's a growing disconnect between him and what MSL is trying to do. IMO you need skill AND hockey sense to play in MSL's system. Andy has skill, but there's not a lot going on between the ears. Everything has become a head-down rush resulting in a turnover. He's a bigger, faster, Gallagher.

Reactions: pth2

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He agreed to re-sign in Montreal in the summer of 2023 as it was expected he'd be moved to a contender at the 2024 deadline.
Oh in that case I agree, don't think Montreal did any wrong towards Monahan. He's old school I wouldn't be surprised if he loved Winnipeg, and they have a good team this year

Reactions: jetsforever

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Loved Monahan here, I think he can still be a useful 2nd line player with 60 pts but I am sure he will be seeking 4-5 years which is not a good deal for us. I am glad he is doing well, hope he will sign with a contender in the offseaon

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Loved Monahan here, I think he can still be a useful 2nd line player with 60 pts but I am sure he will be seeking 4-5 years which is not a good deal for us. I am glad he is doing well, hope he will sign with a contender in the offseaon
Ouch. Won't be signing in Montreal then.

Reactions: Maitz

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
:huh:

Where did he say that?

He was referring to Manahan re-signing for the 2023-24 season...

Reactions: Mcray

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
I got to say I’m surprised by how smart he is, he doesn’t have a tremendous amount of skill but he just knows where to be and what to do. Curious what the contract looks like after this year and to what team he goes

Reactions: Guess and hn777

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Flames fans should be missing Monahan. For the first time in like 6 years he’s been healthy and has looked quite good this season. In a secondary role, where he’s playing behind star players, he’s a very good player.

I've said for over a year now, with Monahan, it's not a question about ability, it was a question about health. He's very effective in a secondary role when healthy.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I got to say I’m surprised by how smart he is, he doesn’t have a tremendous amount of skill but he just knows where to be and what to do. Curious what the contract looks like after this year and to what team he goes
Exactly, the chart watchers weren't actually watching him play, he has high IQ and makes others better.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm happy he seems to be doing well for the Jets. I liked the player, he has had highs and lows this year but before being traded he was definitely in a productive period and it seemed to have continued.

I love Monahan, but Danault is such a slick hockey player. He's actually underrated.

Ah Danault and his classic intangibles. Monathan actually freaking produces!

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lot of crow to be eaten here..."third liner" Monahan has been arguably their most consistent player (along with Connor) since he joined.

Habs fans always knew he was worth a 1st, and now so do Jets fans.
Wish we had kept Monahan. A lousy first for good player like Monty. Jets were smart on that one.

Last edited:

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Lot of crow to be eaten here..."third liner" Monahan has been arguably their most consistent player (along with Connor) since he joined.

Habs fans always knew he was worth a 1st, and now so do Jets fans.
The Jets absolutely did the right thing. What's the percentage of forwards drafted late in the 1st round who become 60 point players? And why would the Jets gamble on that the player they would've drafted would turn into that 5 seasons from now when their team looks completely different?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The Jets absolutely did the right thing. What's the percentage of forwards drafted late in the 1st round who become 60 point players? And why would the Jets gamble on that the player they would've drafted would turn into that 5 seasons from now when their team looks completely different?
I agree with you, a lot of jets fans didn't like the trade initially but @ItWasJustified

Reactions: TS Quint and Deno

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3