Confirmed Trade: [WPG/MTL] Sean Monahan for 2024 1st round pick and conditional 2027 3rd round pick (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Typically fans who watch players play have more informed opinions. Most posters are lying when they say they watch players on other teams play regularly.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Why would "most posters" lie about watching other teams regularly?

What would the point be of that? Plenty of people pay for a package to get all the games and they watch a game or two every night. This is not a highly unusual thing, at all.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Impressed with Monahan in my first viewing of him as a Jet

He appeared to resemble Habs fans opinion of him much more than my chart-watching, hand-wringing fellow Jets fans opinions

Could it be that Habs fans were right AGAIN? Twice in one week?

Tabarnak....
He kinda sucked in that game. Will get better.

Good news is he didn’t get injured!

Reactions: TS Quint and hn777

Gaud

May 11, 2017
You must think the players on the roster are complete morons.

These guys are fully aware of where the Canadiens are in their rebuild and to a man, everyone on that roster knew the day Sean Monahan was signed that, unless he was injured, he was a guarantee to be traded.

All this trade did was open up another spot for another player to step up and prove themselves. That's exactly what the team should be doing at this stage. The notion that the players are going to have hurt feelings cause the team "doesn't believe in them" is absolutely absurd. These aren't children, they are professional athletes, They get it.
Morons? no . Human? yes. And much better hockey minds than me have discussed this for a lot of different cases.

They knew where they were in terms of everyone's prediction that they weren't going to make the playoffs. However, some teams would just play as a matter of form; they play to try to "prove everyone wrong". Even at 500 and something like 10 points, there is still hope in the locker room and that speaks to the leadership there.

Look at the Ottawa Senators last year - they were fighting all year for a spot though a lot of folks didn't believe they would make the playoffs. Close to the deadline, they had a good run going and Brassard told the media that they shouldnt be sellers and that management should give them more tools for that run. Management got Chychrun. It failed ultimately (i thought it was hilarious), but right there that shows you how the moves that management does affects the locker room. If the injection of talent at the deadline can motivate a group, how can the opposite not do so?

Human nature - are you more likely to surrender if your army can barely give you supplies on the front lines than if you are well supplied? Do you work as hard on the last day of school as you did preparing for those crucial exams?

One player stepping up to take that place will not be enough and it wont be enough time to replace Money. I hope the leaders are enough to palliate for his loss.

Reactions: pth2

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

What would the point be of that? Plenty of people pay for a package to get all the games and they watch a game or two every night. This is not a highly unusual thing, at all.

Ok clearly you feel attacked

Reactions: viceroy

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ok clearly you feel attacked

I don't feel attacked at all, I just think its a very strange thing to say.

Just in my own, personal circle of friends I have three good buddies that pretty much watch at least one hockey game a night during the NHL season.

They don't miss the team they primarily cheer for (in this case, one is a Red Wings fan, one a Leafs fan, and the other, sickeningly, is a Bruins fan) but at 10 o'clock, after the family has headed to bed or off to their neutral corners, they watch a late game. Most people that have these packages hop around and check in all kinds of games, and watch all sorts of teams. I'm not an Oilers fan, but any time they are playing a ten o'clock (Eastern) start, I watch their games because they are a very fun team to watch and I watch as much of McDavid as possible. I've seen about 20+ Avalanche games this season, as well because they are fun to watch and have some outstanding players. I've been intrigued by the Devils rising core the last couple of years and I've watched a lot of them (though not as much this season.) It's pretty common to get a text saying "Dude, flip on the Lightning game, Kucherov is going off" and then you hop over and watch that game.

There are plenty of hockey fans out there that watch a ton of hockey and just don't stick to their favourite team. They aren't too difficult to spot around here. Generally when a trade is made, just by the reactions, you can clearly tell which posters know the league, and which posters only know their team.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think my posts explained quite in depth why I thought he is a bad player and a bad fit as a 2C on a playoff team attempting to contend?

I'm sure the Jets front office can use some of your in depth insight

Actually, it proves nothing. Overpayments are a regular occurrence at the TDL. Since you're not Chevy, you have no idea what he was thinking. Arguing otherwise is just silly doubling down.

Funnily enough, I said exactly that TLD overpayments are why Monahan will fetch a 1st, and also because Hughes just doesn't lose trade.

You're not the only one but Jets fans in general were quick to dismiss habs fans saying Monahan is worth a 1st or a 2nd at the very very least (which Jets fans also disagreed with).

Hopefully he does well for you guys

Last edited:

HockeyF3ind

Jun 19, 2007
New York
I get your point and it’s valid… i just prefer to keep nurturing a winning mentality no matter the circumstances. I think it’s as much a factor as talent . Interesting thought about dach though. Would his presence have been enough to push the habs in the playoffs this year?
I doubt Dach single handedly makes us a playoff team but I think he would likely would have helped us be a bubble team. Just felt like a doomed season without our early going best player who was poised to be a breakout big bodied C.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022

Sure that's true, and there are also many that do the opposite - watch a couple highlights here and there and pretend to know the entire book on a player.

I mean c'mon it's obvious reading some of the comments here when evaluating players. Some are very good yes and those are highly appreciated! But lots of garbage too

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hope Monahan resigns with us for a moderate amount. I'm hoping for a 4x4.

Otherwise we get Dach back but lost Monahan, we're got top 6 issues.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I doubt Dach single handedly makes us a playoff team but I think he would likely would have helped us be a bubble team. Just felt like a doomed season without our early going best player who was poised to be a breakout big bodied C.
Dach and having Slaf at the level his playing now to start the year should help a ton. Struble to start the year, this guy has been rock solid!

I don't see the progression I was hoping for on defense, but it's their second year playing pro for most of the young guys... if they turn a corner next year (Xhekaj and Barron) we could expect to be in the battle for a playoff spot at the same time next season.

Lots of IFs and I'd say this outcome is more realistic for the 25-26 season, but it's a possibility if everything go well.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dach and having Slaf at the level his playing now to start the year should help a ton. Struble to start the year, this guy has been rock solid!

I don't see the progression I was hoping for on defense, but it's their second year playing pro for most of the young guys... if they turn a corner next year (Xhekaj and Barron) we could expect to be in the battle for a playoff spot at the same time next season.

Lots of IFs and I'd say this outcome is more realistic for the 25-26 season, but it's a possibility if everything go well.
Not enough if we have the Monahan hole. IF Slaf becomes a bona-fide top 6, we still have 4 top 6. Add Monahan and a great trade for our first, we land up with a real top 6.

Then I can see a real potential for bubble team and maybe a bit of noise in the playoffs. Very little noise, but better then celler mud rolling.

Reactions: hn777

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I hope Monahan resigns with us for a moderate amount. I'm hoping for a 4x4.

Otherwise we get Dach back but lost Monahan, we're got top 6 issues.

Signing Monahan for 4x4 would be bad for the Habs IMO.

We either have kids that will take spots in the top 6 or we sign a bigger fish.

Middle term, we have:
Caufield - Suzuki - XXX1
XXX2 - Dach - XXX3

XXX1 is Slafkovsky/Mesar or a FA/trade
XXX2 is Newhook/Farrell/Heineman
XXX3 is Slafkovsky/Mesar/Roy (or FA/trade if Slaf is RW1 and Mesar/Roy can't play top6)

In the bottom 6, we have a bunch of guys like Evans, Pezzetta, Ylonen, Anderson, Gallagher and RHP with guys pushing like Beck, Mysak, Kidney, Davidson, Tuch (plus the reject from the top6 spots).

Monahan was a nice crutch, but we can do either better or cheaper than him. Could be worth bringing back for another year, but I don't see it being worth it for 4 years. He should (hopefully) become obsolete quite quickly.

Of course, this all doesn't take into consideration our 2024 1st which should be around 6-10 so maybe we got a Lindstrom/Eiserman/Demidov/Iginla/Helenius/Connelly/Catton in the mix.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad