Speculation: Wouldn't be surprised if Habs trade Price in next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Price trade can end up like the Roy trade, where he goes on to maybe win a cup, but TBH he isn't winning one here.

If we could land a decent goalie and good offensive forward and rid the team of that contract do it.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I mean, we have already traded Subban, I believe there is no untouchables anymore. I think it'd be a mistake to trade him though, even with his contract. He's elite.

But when there is smoke...

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
We are 3 or 4 years since PK signed his contract and the same thing was said. I am sure EK will break the bank but thats in another 2 seasons.

I doubt Bob or Holtby sign for 10+. Wouldn't shock me to see them come in at 8.5.

At least with Subban (9M) you still have some defensemen that are relatively close to his caphit, like Burns (8M), Weber (7.857M), Suter (7.538M), Hedman (7.875M), Byfuglien (7.6M), but with Price there's a massive gap between him and the next goalie.

You have Price at 10.5, then Lundqvist at 8.5 followed by Bobrovsky at 7.425.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
The most ludicrous part of the contract is the NMC. Really? $10.5m per year for a goaltender wasn’t enough you had to throw that in too? That should have brought it down to $9-9.5m per.

Price was the one writing the contract....not MB....he could get anything he wanted....MB had zero leverage and Price knew it

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Sports journalists have a hard time separating the kind of opinion you throw around after a couple beers in a bar with your friends and the kind of opinion that reflects your contacts with the team and your role as an envoy with them.

This is bar talk. Let's make a thread for every time somebody says something dumb in a bar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price was the one writing the contract....not MB....he could get anything he wanted....MB had zero leverage and Price knew it

In hindsight, the best part of our prospect pool was our goaltenders. I wanted $9M AAV for 8 years or $10M for 5 years. I do agree that Bergevin should of played more hardball with Price but I don't agree he had zero leverage. Bergevin had to get this deal done though. Just imagine what kind of summer we would of had if Price had no contract extension? Imagine what the non-supporters of Bergevin would be saying then?

The offseason started well with the Drouin trades but we overpaid with Price/Alzner while Radulov left and Markov did not want a one year deal at $5M ish. Save to say it did not go according to plan.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
At least with Subban (9M) you still have some defensemen that are relatively close to his caphit, like Burns (8M), Weber (7.857M), Suter (7.538M), Hedman (7.875M), Byfuglien (7.6M), but with Price there's a massive gap between him and the next goalie.

Subban was grossly overpaid when he signed his deal. But in 2 years, Karlsson is going to get $11-12M and set the new benchmark for defensmen.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reports are 99% incorrect 95% of the time. Price is not being traded next week. Not when he has a bad 11 game sample size in stats and he will be coming off of injury. However, what plays out in the next 12 or 24 months is going to be interesting. Will Price be Price and will Lindgren keep up his play? The story will not be going away if Price can't get back to "one of the best in the world" status due to his play on the ice.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Thats kind of my point. When PK signed his contract it was going to be a steal in a year or 2. Well its like 4 years later and its still the highest out there for Dman. All those other guys still are below him. We wait for EK and Doughty to break the bank but that will be 6 years from when PK signed his contract.

Price's contract won't become a steal when other goalies need to re up. Bob/Hotbly will not get 11/12/13 Million. Odds are they sign for 9 or less. Bob maybe wins another Vezna 3 to 1 to Price but still won't get 10.5 LOL.

If another goalie ever gets 10.5 it won't be until 5 or 6 years into Prices contract. I bet we don't even see it. Maybe Murray after winning 3 or 4 cups might get a team to pay him 11 Million (won't be the Pens).

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Maybe it is PRICE who is demanding a trade?

Maybe he is pulling a Roy, and said he isn't playing till he is traded

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No way do I see Price being traded but he has a limited NTC until his new contract kicks in this summer. There are 15 teams he can Not be traded to. Of course all he has to do is agree to waive that if he wanted out and the team that wanted him was on his 15 team no trade list.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I mean, we have already traded Subban, I believe there is no untouchables anymore. I think it'd be a mistake to trade him though, even with his contract. He's elite.

But when there is smoke...

There's no smoke. It's just Flynn talking out of his ass.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He shouldn’t have had any leverage. It was signed a year early. There was no rush.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe it is PRICE who is demanding a trade?

Maybe he is pulling a Roy, and said he isn't playing till he is traded

Under theory no. 537 out of the 762 we have come up with so far, how would this one work? Would he be taking his decision further to the Bronx cheers he received at the BC, having percolated?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I find this forum is lacking a sort of melting pot of trade rumors and innuendos, so that posters can fins their fix there, instead of throwing some rumors on different threads.

BTW, Armstrong is in town because all GMs will be here this weekend: 100th anniversary bash at the Windsor Station.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I find this forum is lacking a sort of melting pot of trade rumors and innuendos, so that posters can fins their fix there, instead of throwing some rumors on different threads.30,

BTW, Armstrong is in town because all GMs will be here this weekend: 100th anniversary bash at the Windsor Station.

That's a good point. Otherwise, a lot of posters will continuously tend to question the credibility of one site and the other. It would take a separate thread, something with "BS Rumors" in the title and everyone could have a go at it with their favorite fake rumors and we'd all be on the same page.

Reactions: dinodebino

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No way do I see Price being traded but he has a limited NTC until his new contract kicks in this summer. There are 15 teams he can Not be traded to. Of course all he has to do is agree to waive that if he wanted out and the team that wanted him was on his 15 team no trade list.

That limited NTC was replaced by a full NMC that came into effect this season, as part of the long-term deal that was just signed.

Cap Friendly has this footnote:

Carey Price's M-NTC in 2017-18 was replaced with a Full NMC in the final year of the contract. Negotiated as part of the 8 year extension.

Carey Price - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: groovejuice

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why do every single media person in this city tries so hard to be important?
The media in Montreal, has to be the worst, of the worst.............rumours, crap, and so on........darkest day in Habs history, remember that one.................what a sad sack of so called tv and media personalities.......

This is the exact reason, most do not want to play in Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad