Speculation: Wouldn't be surprised if Habs trade Price in next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Interesting way to use Cap Space. Sign player to 10 mil then trade and retain salary and get wonderful pieces in return for your troubles. Jamie Benn joins brother and Radulov is a throw in. :sarcasm:

---------------------------------------------

I don't see how it's possible to trade Price given he's injured. He's here long term it would seem. Although the prediction part of Flynn's speculation is odd - why in a week?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Price will NOT bring a championship..... to Montreal. he needs to go for good assets in return and make a more balanced team. There is way too much invested in the goals to have a balanced team
The way I see it it can work but Price has to be .925 or above and win games like the best goalie in the game. Not a top 10, the one and only best of them. Right now he's not making a good case for the deal he got.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

dan289

Sep 14, 2017
Toronto
www.dansplans.ca
Price needs to have a sub 2 GAA, along wih a 0.940 SAVE % to justify his salary and term.

Weber AND Price's combined salary is totally unjustified for their age and what they NOW bring to the ice.

Reactions: scrubadam

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Price needs to have a sub 2 GAA, along wih a 0.940 SAVE % to justify his salary and term.

Weber AND Price's combined salary is totally unjustified for their age and what they NOW bring to the ice.
Really? I think if we see the Price we are used to his salary is justified.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
i would love to see him traded, but it wont happen for 2 reasons,

1 - fans will hate MB even more, and he knows it

2 - MB will over estimate Price's value, and will never get what he wants in return

goalies dont have high trade value to begin with.....then you add in price's contract, his injuries, and his poor season....he is not very attractive right now, kinda like an aging supermodel, years ago everybody would have wanted them, but now they are....meh

MB has painted himself into a corner now

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Price's salary looks inflated right now because most of the better goalies signed their contract a few years ago when the salary cap was lower, after next year Bobrovsky will be a UFA and getting an increase and the year after that Holtby is a UFA and will be getting a large increase.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
So much hate for Price. Even if it's cuz of a big contract, I just don't get it.

Seriously hope none of this is true.
Have fun not winning a cup then, im a huge price fan but paying that much for someone who cant score (our biggest problem) is an issue. Id rather have a slight downgrade in goal and pony up for some damn goalscorers and another top D

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
What the hell? :D Sign him to the most expensive contract for a goalie in league history and trade him before it kicks in. Makes sense. :huh:

I'm totally for trading Price to make this team better, but again it proves the poor judgements of this GM yet again

Sounds like Bergevin's MO, he did it to Subban too :laugh: Sign him to 9 mil max term, trade him. This time though we'll get a bag of pucks cause Price can dictate where he goes. MB has zero leverage.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell? :D Sign him to the most expensive contract for a goalie in league history and trade him before it kicks in. Makes sense. :huh:

I'm totally for trading Price to make this team better, but again it proves the poor judgements of this GM yet again
Same thing happened with Subban. Wouldn’t surprise me with the incompetence of this management. And then people wonder why players don’t sign here.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The most ludicrous part of the contract is the NMC. Really? $10.5m per year for a goaltender wasn’t enough you had to throw that in too? That should have brought it down to $9-9.5m per.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
This quote is taken of context. He was asked what the deal is with Price's injury. He prefaced his response by saying he really does not have any insider info when it comes to the Habs, all he does is report and analyze the hockey on the ice. He then gave his opinion that he wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to trade him and not playing him for fear of him getting injured while a trade is worked out.

I would be very surprised. MB said this summer Price isn't going anywhere.
He said the exact same thing about Subban too. The optics of this make sense. Maybe he got offered another “diamond in the rough” and is working on a deal. Niemi as backup to assure the tank this year.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Doesn't Price have a full NMC? Why would he waive it?

Because we suck and have no future? He doesn't want to waist his prime Years? He wants to go to a contender? He's sick of the media outing teammates for going to rehab/spreading rumours that he sexually assaulted someone? Maybe he signed in the off-season with promises that Bergy would improve the team and he clearly hasn't, maybe his play this year was to try to get rid of bergy like he did to Therrien the year before. Maybe he's sick of taking the brunt of watching this team continually decline..Maybe instead of him convincing Tavares to come to Montreal Tavares convinced him to go to the island lol.

Even though most of those are VERY far fetched to be honest I'm having a harder time wondering why he'd want to stay.

That being said I can't see this happening.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I dunno who said it on the show this week, but paraphrasing, basically the contract we gave Price makes him difficult to trade now. They compared it to a situation where you break something and now you buy it.

I don’t think it’s impossible to trade Price, but the contract prevents us from getting some “awesomely-great” haul. Any trade we do, we’ll have to take a significant contract back.

Reactions: ArsHabs

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Price's salary looks inflated right now because most of the better goalies signed their contract a few years ago when the salary cap was lower, after next year Bobrovsky will be a UFA and getting an increase and the year after that Holtby is a UFA and will be getting a large increase.

We are 3 or 4 years since PK signed his contract and the same thing was said. I am sure EK will break the bank but thats in another 2 seasons.

I doubt Bob or Holtby sign for 10+. Wouldn't shock me to see them come in at 8.5.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Have fun not winning a cup then, im a huge price fan but paying that much for someone who cant score (our biggest problem) is an issue. Id rather have a slight downgrade in goal and pony up for some damn goalscorers and another top D

Holy false dilemma batman.

It's really not a tis or tat situation, the choice was never between signing Price or signing an elite goalscorer and a top D. For the past 6 years Price AAV was 6.5M and no legit attempt were made to ADD an elite goalscorer or a top D, let alone both at the same time.

It was always between signing Price (and not getting what was listed above) or not signing Price (and also not getting what was listed above). The stuffs listed above fall in the "its hard" category.

Reactions: Astormynight

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'd probably start watching Habs games again if we found a way to rid ourselves of that contract.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I heard the interview and its not fact or even a rumor, its just Flynn's gut feeling. No different if I went on the radio and said my gut tells me if Price doesn't start Saturday he is done for the season.

Something is fishy about this supposed non injury that isn't serious with no setbacks, that is now an injury that has setbacks. Flynn feels a trade is brewing. I feel Price is more injured than he is letting on. Some feel he has legal problems. Others feel he is really slightly hurt and will be back soon.

If the team wasn't being so contradictory and didn't go through this 2 years ago it wouldn't be a problem. Leafs did the same thing with Matthews and it didn't turn into a huge circus like the Price issue is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad