Would You Trade Scheifele or Laine for a top dman?

Would you trade scheiffle or laine for a top defenceman?

• Total voters

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I know that this is a topic as all others, not to say it in a negative way. But my god, is it really spreading all over again. I thought we were at how Laine has progressed and such. It's not for me to say any ill about others opinions (really didn't read every comment, that's my bad) and this isn't towards anyone.

Still 21 and evolving for years to come, pretty sure. Wouldn't really want to trade, the risk of him getting a lot better. And for Scheifele. He sure with his salary one of greatest deals and being a C. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Still, trading either... would need to be such a kings randsome that even the king would go like "you serious, all this for us?!"

But yeah, if someone is willing to do it in their minds. I won't hold it against them.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Then why are we even here?

It's an opinon forum, not a professional forum.

I sometimes wonder that myself..

Voluntary online polls are not considered a valid sampling method for statistical purposes so they don't represent accurate information or opinions of a population. I said it because some thought that 1 in 3 people voting on here was indicative of anything significant.

It could very well be in a properly conducted opinion poll on Patrik Laine with proper sampling methods that 1 in 3 people (or higher) share that opinion. But we don't know that.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Speed, shot and hockey IQ. Two of these can be developed to an extent by focused training, but the IQ part is one of those things that you either have or you don’t. Just like any other skill that requires creativity. Connor is by far the most predictable player in our top 6, and that will not change. We shouldn’t expect any spectacular playmaking from him, just put him on a line where he is the finisher. Heck, if he wasn’t so bad in his own zone, he could swap places with Perreault. PSL was dynamite when they played together.

IQ is difficult to debate -
I look at a player like KC as being one of the more consistent members on this team -
He is weak defensively - work needs to be done there.

He keeps his game simple and usually points everything in the direction of the net - that's how he plays his game and it doesn't appear to impact his point production too much.
If this makes him weak in the IQ (in your opinion), this will be a hard discussion.

But honestly, if you don't think Hockey IQ is something that is developed over time, you don't understand hockey IQ -
It comes from playing the game and learning pcs that come from experience - ie; awareness on the ice, evaluating plays and recognizing patterns, knowing best options - these are all things that can be learned and usually come with experience.

Now if you want to compare him to a few of the greats that had elite IQ right out of the box, that's another discussion. But I don't think that was the point you were trying to make.

KC, like other highly skilled young players, will learn the game over time and should sharpen the skills he already has through experience, coaching, and development.

You're short selling a young player based on your crystal ball opinions - the sky's the limit with players like this and it boggles my mind why anyone would pigeonhole a talent like this based on his development and experience up to this point in his career.

It's a good thing we didn't do that with Laine who appeared to be a one trick pony with many.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I look at a player like KC as being one of the more consistent members on this team -

He keeps his game simple and usually points everything in the direction of the net - that's how he plays his game and it doesn't appear to impact his point production too much.
If this makes him weak in the IQ (in your opinion), this will be a hard discussion.

But honestly, if you don't think Hockey IQ is something that is developed over time, you don't understand hockey IQ -
It comes from playing the game and learning pcs that come from experience - ie; awareness on the ice, evaluating plays and recognizing patterns, knowing best options - these are all things that can be learned and usually come with experience.

Now if you want to compare him to a few of the greats that had elite IQ right out of the box, that's another discussion. But I don't think that was the point you were trying to make.

KC, like other highly skilled young players, will learn the game over time and should sharpen the skills he already has through experience, coaching, and development.

You're short selling a young player based on your crystal ball opinions - the sky's the limit with players like this and it boggles my mind why anyone would pigeonhole a talent like this based on his development and experience up to this point in his career.

It's a good thing we didn't do that with Laine who appeared to be a one trick pony with many.
The fact you don’t know his IQ is telling. He doesn’t make plays that demonstrate he understands the value of passing the puck or taking the puck to areas based on what his teammates and opposition are doing. He just cycles or hangs on to the puck until an obvious play at goal is available. He doesn’t find his teammates quickly in soft spots which catch the opposition off guard.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

My hockey IQ continues to improve, and I'm old af :)

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

I love Farmboy and I think that he’ll be a great scoring winger for years in this league. I am not selling him short here – I just don’t expect any creative playmaking from him since he has shown no signs of having the smarts for it. Love him for what he is and let the guy be the triggerman on his line.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Laine getting stronger, tougher and more talented. Chef looking like Bambi again, falling on his ass every minute, looking weaker. Yeah are center’s aren’t great but you always keep the better players. We can’t afford to get rid of either, let’s see what we look like next year.get rid of the scrap first and the easiest move for now is a coaching change.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Absolutely would trade Laine for a top defenseman.
Looking at even younger star defensemen than Seth Jones, the names Cale Makar and Miro Heiskanen come immediately to mind.
It doesn't mean I think Laine is bad--I just think that Makar and Heikanen are more likely to be achieve true star status than Laine...and we have plenty of firepower on our wings already.
This may be a minority view on this forum, but doubt that would be the case outside Jetsland.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Everybody can be traded. Gretzky did a couple of times iirc. Everyone can. The price has to be right though - and make sense.
It doesn't make sense to trade Scheifele for a D no matter who the D is, because it will destroy the center position completely.

Chevy should consider trading one of the star wingers, just one of them - and it could be any one of KC, NE or PL. There is enough depth on that position and we need a 1D badly. Carolina could be a good trade-partner in this, I think.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
If we trade Scheif then we have to find a top C on a comparable contract -- which would be well-nigh impossible, IMO, and given Laine's improvement this year plus his dip in scoring I don't see anything like a remotely good enough return for him. So hard no to both options for me.

I think that if there were a younger top D with a good contract available the winger I'd move would be KC. Good player, great speed and stick handling and elite in-close, but now clearly behind Ehlers as an overall contributor IMO.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I sometimes wonder that myself..

Voluntary online polls are not considered a valid sampling method for statistical purposes so they don't represent accurate information or opinions of a population. I said it because some thought that 1 in 3 people voting on here was indicative of anything significant.

It could very well be in a properly conducted opinion poll on Patrik Laine with proper sampling methods that 1 in 3 people (or higher) share that opinion. But we don't know that.

Yup. And now it's less than 1 in 4, with small sample size, and with an interesting mix of A) Laine haters and some B) "Laine super fans", that might just want to get him traded. Probably not indicative even for that sample size about people that would consider trading Laine for a top D to make Jets better.

Obviously everyone should be considered if you get enough back. The problem is that if there are some guys on the team that should not get traded, I'd say Scheifele, Laine and Ehlers (with his current contract) are those. Unless you get the princess and half the kingdom back.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Anyone could be moved for the right price.

I wouldn't be looking to move either of these guys though. Scheif's a 1C on a sweetheart deal. Can't see a deal that would make sense.

Similar for Laine, the guy is so young, and has already been so dominant. In no way is he available. The only names I would even listen on are Dhalin, Heiskanen, and Makar.

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
The fact you don’t know his IQ is telling. He doesn’t make plays that demonstrate he understands the value of passing the puck or taking the puck to areas based on what his teammates and opposition are doing. He just cycles or hangs on to the puck until an obvious play at goal is available. He doesn’t find his teammates quickly in soft spots which catch the opposition off guard.
Yep, last game at least two times there were opportunity to make a drop pass to Laine to the second wave and KC decides to shoot the puck behind the net. I was literally screaming to him.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is there a top defenceman you would trade for if you had to give up either Scheiffle or Laine?
Seth Jones would look really good in a Jets uniform and I think Laine has tremendous potential but not sure he will reach it whereas Scheif may have peaked or may need a change of scenery.

There is no one Dman worth either of those players.

Scheifele is simply untradeable because we don't even have a long term 2C, much less a replacement 1C.

Laine would require a return of 2 Dmen +, or a Dman, a 2C, +

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad