Would You Trade Scheifele or Laine for a top dman?

Would you trade scheiffle or laine for a top defenceman?

• Total voters

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Poll should have included Connor as an option. He is a good player with great trade value since he is locked up on a long deal, and we can spare a winger for a bonafide dman.

Connor does not deliver a “top d-man”.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
You can look at it that way as well-- but when 1 out of 3 votes tells you they would consider trading Laine -- their not all that confident he will turn out ??

What are you talking about? It tells that 1/3 would consider moving Laine for a top D man. Only Scheifele and Laine have high enough value to bring back a top D. Scheifele is a center and on a great contact so out of those two of course it’d be Laine.

It has nothing to do with people not thinking he’d pan out. Read the topic again [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
On balance you always keep the center, especially if they are obviously better. However Laine is younger than Scheifele and has yet to play under a coach who is particularly good at development. He’s still somewhat of a question mark, meanwhile Scheifele has almost certainly hit his peak.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I would trade Laine for a Seth Jones or Dahlin, but no way they would trade those guys for Laine

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Laine for Jones or similar would be very tempting in this hypothetical scenario (Columbus would never do it obviously) but I might wait for now to see how Laine is this season
Definitely don't trade Scheifele

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
On balance you always keep the center, especially if they are obviously better. However Laine is younger than Scheifele and has yet to play under a coach who is particularly good at development. He’s still somewhat of a question mark, meanwhile Scheifele has almost certainly hit his peak.

Scheifele has played under the same coach for his whole career and developed quite well.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I appreciate all the replies.
In my opinion, there is a need for another top dman. I would like to see either Morrisey or Pionk get a better d partner.

I see chemistry on all lines except the LSC line, which led me to wonder do our two "superstars" not mesh thus the poll.
A trade involving scheif would require a centre and top 4 dman back.
I am not giving up on Laine but he is the player who has the most upside of the two. 5 or 10 years from now he could be the next Ovi.
I was thinking of what would put the Jets into contender category now not in 5 years when Laine will be at his peak.
It would be a risky trade no doubt and controversial.
The beauty of this board is we can discuss these things because we do not have any power to make these moves but it is interesting to think about.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You do know Laine had done more with probably lessthat has worn the Jets Jersey at that age except for Hawerchuk?
Maybe Kovi thrown in there.

But yeah you cant trade a 1C, legit top 10 like Schiefele.

Laine can have that return 1C, if it comes to that.

But sorry my friend , everything you mentioned about Laine is false.

And if its true. Then he wont get you a legit 1D.
I think he's made some valid points.

This 'more with less' is absolute poppycock. People have been screaming at the top of the snowbanks to have Laine on the top line with Schiefele because somehow Laine's poor performance is due to the players he's with, and now he's got it the whining is about 1PP time.

Patrik Laine has scored 12 goals in 2019. 12. That's 12 goals in 65 games. Does that sound like who you want on PP1?

• He is awful at puck retrieval and takeaways.
  • He's sub par at puck protection.
  • He takes too long to make decisions
All of those things are death on a PP. You look at successful powerplay and they have players that move the puck quickly, battle hard for retrieval, and protect possession.

Laine's shot is not nearly where it needs to be right now, and that's why he isn't scoring. Not the players he's with, not PP1 time. That play last night where he fell down trying to load his stick is just one example.

He was an elite shooter his first 2 years in the league and that has become almost non existent. I used to feel every time he had the puck he could score. Now I'm surprised when he does.

I don't know if it was the McCabe hit or him changing his flex but he is not the deadly scorer he once was.

Those are all simply facts that anyone who is objective can see.

I don't want to trade Laine because you don't just forget how to be an elite shooter. If he figures it out, combined with the other things he's added to his game, he will be a lethal weapon, but as time goes on that becomes less and less likely.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Jets have to decide how they want to build their top 6 as everyone other than Laine is a speedster. If that’s the game they want to play it doesn’t work for Laine.
Roster balance.

You can have a Laine on the team with a bunch of really fast forwards. If he could use his size to protect and retrieve the puck, and he could rediscover his shot, he could be part of a lethal line. Guys like Brett Hull and John LeClair were guys not fleet of foot but they knew how to use their size and shot to be prolific scorers.

I really hope Laine is spending time with a sports psychologist because at this point, this is in PL's head.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think you are seeing that it is easier to win with a mediocre defense, and great forwards, than the inverse.

I don't know why we trade for a top d-man. We have Morrissey and Pionk who can get better given their age. Samberg is blue chip. Heinola is going to be great for years to come. You might need another RD, to fill Buff's hole. Niku might fill the offensive side, might not. I think the Jets filled their need for PK help with Sbisa. Might want to upgrade, at some point, but that's the primary area, number one PKer, right side. Ideally someone who can play shutdown minutes. Otherwise keep on developing.
I agree with this, but a couple of considerations:

In the playoffs, a premium is on defense. It becomes that much harder for skilled forwards to do their thing. If you have a 'subpar' defense, you are going to be playing from behind too much and that is death in the postseason.

Having a glut of super talented forwards is a real great problem to have, but, realistically, in order to utilize these players correctly, they need a top 6 spot. We already have more top 6 forwards than we can use. I know people say make the 4th line a 3rd scoring line, but top 6 forwards will not be happy with that amount of ice time, nor would the actual top 6 be happy with having their ice time pared down to play this '3rd scoring line' enough that they would be happy in their roles. Additionally, you need lines to do more than score. You need lines that can check the other teams top lines, and simply play low event hockey to help protect leads.

Finally, having too many elite forwards is too expensive for an NHL club. With Vesalainen hopefully becoming a factor and Little back we definitely have some chips to work with. I'm still not convinced that our D pipeline is strong enough right now to yield the D we need without looking outside the org.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Laine for Jones or similar would be very tempting in this hypothetical scenario (Columbus would never do it obviously) but I might wait for now to see how Laine is this season
Definitely don't trade Scheifele
Tempting?? That would be an auto accept but Columbus would never ever ever do that unless we had an add on to Laine

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Paul Maurice isn't good at development?

First of all, the HC isn't the guy who is developing. The assistant coaches do the heavy lifting, here.

Secondly, if you look at the players that we've had, we do a very good job of developing our own talent - the proof is in the pudding. The players we 'haven't developed' and that have moved on have done jack shit elsewhere, so I think that's a case of realizing when a player isn't good enough for this league and moving on.

Chiarot went from a complete plug to being a sought after middle six guy. Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele, Trouba, Roslovic, and the list goes on have all developed within our system and become impact players in the league.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
We do need top D so if trading Laine gets us that then I say go for it. He is awful on boards and is a liability in the defensive zone. Yes he has a great shot but that is pretty much it.
As for Chef I wouldn't trade him but something seems off about him...doesn't look like he's enjoying the game much. He used to be all smiles now not so much.

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
because no young players have developed under Paul Maurice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad