Would You Trade Scheifele or Laine for a top dman?

Would you trade scheiffle or laine for a top defenceman?

• Total voters

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

We are 1/4 thru the season this year, and Laine has 4 goals, and will likely end up with around 25 goals -"tops" He is going backwards. Do you not keep an open mind on trading a guy like that ?? I think you do.
he has 6 goals and 14 assists nearly a ppg while improving his all around game at 21... yea I don't consider trading a guy like that for nothing short of an over payment.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
he has 6 goals and 14 assists nearly a ppg while improving his all around game at 21... yea I don't consider trading a guy like that for nothing short of an over payment.

This is really my point though -- because of the hype that surrounds Laine --you could get a substantial overpayment for him. You have to keep an open mind. I know this isn't a popular subject with many fans tho.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

We are 1/4 thru the season this year, and Laine has 4 goals, and will likely end up with around 25 goals -"tops" He is going backwards. Do you not keep an open mind on trading a guy like that ?? I think you do.
You have no idea what you are talking about. You can’t even be bothered to get his totals correct. He hasnt scored less than 30 goals in a season.
This has nothing to do with trading him and everything to do with your non-sensical, poorly informed top 10 list

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You have no idea what you are talking about. You can’t even be bothered to get his totals correct. He hasnt scored less than 30 goals in a season.
This has nothing to do with trading him and everything to do with your non-sensical, poorly informed top 10 list

You would make exactly the kind of GM I'd like to talk with, if I were Chevy --and we'd make a deal. :laugh:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The Jets have to decide how they want to build their top 6 as everyone other than Laine is a speedster. If that’s the game they want to play it doesn’t work for Laine.

Reactions: Larabee and GNP

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I would definitely trade Laine -- but "not" Scheifele. Lets take a look at Laine and see what he offers :

1) Good hard accurate shot -- "sometimes"- yes for his first year -- but did really very little last year, and this year -- just average. This guy is supposed to be a goal scorer -- but he's not living up to expectations. How many goals this year ?? 4 0r 5 ?? --Ehler's has 11.

2) A good skater -- slow out of the hole -- ok at top end. Looks awkward.

3) Stickhandling -- poor

4) Possession of puck -- "not good"--continually fumbling the puck, and causing turnovers.

5) Playmaking just OK --that's about it.

6) Is he progressing --getting better ?? -- no--he's regressing.

Laine --is "overrated" and because he scored 44 goals his first year, and was a 2nd overall draft pick --some GM's may give away a "great player" for him.

If Laine is a very slow bloomer--like Scheifele was, then I'd be wrong, and glady eat my words- however if we get a really good defenseman for him, we really couldn't go wrong, as we have lot's of goal scorers left.

This has to be done quick though, as Laine's trade value diminishes every game out. Thank God Chevy only signed him for 2 years. This guy is a "limited player" IMO.

Great post BTW -- be interesting to see what other's think

I give you benefit of doubt as it seems that you aren't watching the game at all or at least not following Laine. It's not a sin, it's OK so I am not going to roast you about that.

However, at least get your stats right:

Screenshot_20191124_082404.jpg

How it is even possible that Laine has +-0 while Connor has -9. That evades me as Connor plays some PK, Laine doesn't.

It might have something to do with the fact that Laine has been playing excellent positional play, and especially this season. Add in "just OK playmaking", and he has the most amount of primary assists with 2 less games played.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think you are seeing that it is easier to win with a mediocre defense, and great forwards, than the inverse.

I don't know why we trade for a top d-man. We have Morrissey and Pionk who can get better given their age. Samberg is blue chip. Heinola is going to be great for years to come. You might need another RD, to fill Buff's hole. Niku might fill the offensive side, might not. I think the Jets filled their need for PK help with Sbisa. Might want to upgrade, at some point, but that's the primary area, number one PKer, right side. Ideally someone who can play shutdown minutes. Otherwise keep on developing.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I give you benefit of doubt as it seems that you aren't watching the game at all or at least not following Laine. It's not a sin, it's OK so I am not going to roast you about that.

View attachment 282091

How it is even possible that Laine has +-0 while Connor has -9. That evades me as Connor plays some PK, Laine doesn't.

It might have something to do with the fact that Laine has been playing excellent positional play, and especially this season. Add in "just OK playmaking", and he has the most amount of primary assists with 2 less games played.

I like your defense of Laine -- you make some good points here, and I'm not being sarcastic or anything. His goal production is way down though for a "goalscorer". He'll likely get around 25 -30 at this pace, and for a guy with a great shot --that isn't enough IMO. He has to start bringing up these totals --that's what he's paid for.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Your free to make your case --and back up Laine --I'll be sure to read it. That's what this thread is for.
Laine has missed two games and is 2nd in points on the team at 21 years old and you think he is playing poorly? This season is the best he has played since getting here.
Jones only has 2 seasons left until free agency.

I'd trade KC or Ehlers for a 1RHD (if Buff isn't coming back) but he would have to have a lot of term left on his contract or still be an UFA.

KC for Ryan Ellis (RHD) or Werenski (LHD)?
Roslo for Mattias Ekholm?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

View attachment 282091

That’s funny you ask how Connor has a worse +- and then say Connor plays some pk. That does not improve your +-

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Laine has missed two games and is 2nd in points on the team at 21 years old and you think he is playing poorly? This season is the best he has played since getting here.

I'd trade KC or Ehlers for a 1RHD (if Buff isn't coming back) but he would have to have a lot of term left on his contract or still be an UFA.

I’d want more for Ekholm so it’s Rosie +

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

I like your defense of Laine -- you make some good points here, and I'm not being sarcastic or anything. His goal production is way down though for a "goalscorer". He'll likely get around 25 -30 at this pace, and for a guy with a great shot --that isn't enough IMO. He has to start bringing up these totals --that's what he's paid for.

His goal scoring is down for a goal scorer, but that's not what he's paid for.

He is paid for making Jets win, and that he has done better than any other forward not named Nik in this team, this season.

For example if his PP goals are needed, why he is not getting any looks for those? Why he is in PP2, while he was having most PP points while on PP1? (OK, they tried that 5 forward formation mid game, and it was better. Still only ONE attempt to even try to pass Laine [and his stick broke as he put all his frustration on that shot].)

So if Laine's goals are what is needed, Maurice seems to strongly disagree with that. Laine is also playing with one pure shooter only (Connor) and one shooter-playmaker (Scheifele). Laine has to usually make his own scoring opportunities, but self-made scoring opportunities are by nature of low quality, so it's better that he makes plays for others instead.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Well -- @10Ducky10 -- I'm surprised you'd consider parting with Kyle Connor --"one of your favorites" -- but that's what I like, is an open mind to improve the hockey club.

You may have a great idea in trading Roslo for Ekholm ?? -- I just don't know how good Ekholm is -- but this is the kind of deal that can make us a better all around hockey club.

Personally I would not trade Connor or Ehlers -- because their "very affordable"( locked in contracts) and very talented, and getting better every year.

Laine and Roslo --if the deal was "right" you have to look at it.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
That’s funny you ask how Connor has a worse +- and then say Connor plays some pk. That does not improve your +-

???

Yes, it does.

Playing PK improves your +-, but never makes it worse. Playing PP makes your +- worse.

You are probably wrong on this.

Also Connor has been playing with Laine so much it's a bit like miracle they have 9 goal disparity on +-. I don't know for sure, but I guess their 5-on-5 gDiff has even bigger disparity.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
???

Yes, it does.

Playing PK improves your +-, but never makes it worse. Playing PP makes your +- worse.

You are probably wrong on this.

Also Connor has been playing with Laine so much it's a bit like miracle they have 9 goal disparity on +-. I don't know for sure, but I guess their 5-on-5 gDiff has even bigger disparity.
You get a + when your team scores like pp. a minus when they score like on pk when they have an extra man.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Well -- @10Ducky10 -- I'm surprised you'd consider parting with Kyle Connor --"one of your favorites" -- but that's what I like, is an open mind to improve the hockey club.

You may have a great idea in trading Roslo for Ekholm ?? -- I just don't know how good Ekholm is -- but this is the kind of deal that can make us a better all around hockey club.

Personally I would not trade Connor or Ehlers -- because their "very affordable"( locked in contracts) and very talented, and getting better every year.

Laine and Roslo --if the deal was "right" you have to look at it.
I think Connor was better last year.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Maybe hockey isn’t for you? Laine had 36 goals as a rookie and 44 his second season. Jesus. His down year he had 30. He’s in season 4. This place is amusing. People will defend a coach with a 20 year history of mediocrity, but throw 21 year old 100 goal scorers under the bus. Garbage.

A “top d-man” is kinda valuable, ya know. I’d trade Laine for one.

Yes, quite a nice couple of years for Laine. A shame that opponents neutralize him on the PP now and he can’t just blast away from “his office” like he used to.

Breaks his stick half the time when he gets that rare opportunity. He’s getting better at having goals bounce off his chest though!

Reactions: GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
This thread is all about "favorites" that make others dispensable .
But if I did have to trade one of the favorites, you know who it wouldn't be ;)

It will be interesting to see what Laine looks like in 2 years (other than bald :DD) and if he is worth the money he most likely will be looking for.
If he continues to improve his over all game at his current trajectory and score like he used to, he'll be very expensive - and worth it.
I need another year or so to contribute to this pole.

I would not consider trading Scheif unless we were getting back a better center -

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The NHL does not count goals for or against during PP or PK as plus or minus.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
You get a + when your team scores like pp. a minus when they score like on pk when they have an extra man.

What are you trying to say with above? I cannot understand.

You don't get + when you score on PP. You get - when you are scored against on PP.

For PK, it's vice versa. You can get +, but cannot get -.

For ES (empty net situations do count) you get normal + and - as expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad