Would You Trade Scheifele or Laine for a top dman?

Would you trade scheiffle or laine for a top defenceman?

• Total voters

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Connor was better last year.

You could be right, and Ehlers could have a better year this year-- and if I had my choice I'd take Ehlers for his speed, and stickhandling, and being able to lead a rush.

Don't get me wrong here --their both "great players" of somewhat equal value --I just think Ehlers has a little more upside. In any event, whichever one you like --their both great players for the Jets, and on affordable long term contracts.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

You could be right, and Ehlers could have a better year this year-- and if I had my choice I'd take Ehlers for his speed, and stickhandling, and being able to lead a rush.

Don't get me wrong here --their both "great players" of somewhat equal value --I just think Ehlers has a little more upside. In any event, whichever one you like --their both great players for the Jets, and on affordable long term contracts.
I’d say Ehlers has been much better this season and that extra mil can make a big difference when signing a top d.
Just to be clear I’m not saying Connor was the better player last year. I thought he played better last year.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Notice what the poll says -about 1/3 of replies would trade Laine --that has to tell you something.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It tells you that 2 out of 3 or the "majority" wouldn't trade him...

You can look at it that way as well-- but when 1 out of 3 votes tells you they would consider trading Laine -- their not all that confident he will turn out ?? I'm glad I'm not Chipman having to make a decision on this guy ?? although he has 2 years to prove himself--at a "fixed amount of dollars $$"

Notice how "very few" respondents would trade Scheifele --and for good reason --he's a steal at $ 6.5 mil, and a great center ice man.

I hope Laine can turn out like him -- but I don't see the skating and stickhandling needed ?? I have serious doubts here ??

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Notice what the poll says -about 1/3 of replies would trade Laine --that has to tell you something.
2 of those are from people who are not even jets fans and 1 person who has never made a single post on all of hf boards

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
2 of those are from people who are not even jets fans and 1 person who has never made a single post on all of hf boards

Yup, and at least 4 from guys that have shown their dislike of Laine all these years, and I am not counting GNP who started the poll. It is OK to dislike Laine, nothing wrong on that.

Out of 11 votes, that doesn't leave many honest opinion on the table, but it's "1/3", right.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I would definitely trade Laine -- but "not" Scheifele. Lets take a look at Laine and see what he offers :

1) Good hard accurate shot -- "sometimes"- yes for his first year -- but did really very little last year, and this year -- just average. This guy is supposed to be a goal scorer -- but he's not living up to expectations. How many goals this year ?? answer is 6 / on pace for 25 goals --Ehler's has 11 goals.

2) A good skater -- slow out of the hole -- ok at top end. Looks awkward.

3) Stickhandling -- poor

4) Possession of puck -- "not good"--continually fumbling the puck, and causing turnovers.

5) Playmaking just OK --that's about it.

6) Is he progressing --getting better ?? -- no--he's regressing.

Laine --is "overrated" and because he scored 44 goals his first year, and was a 2nd overall draft pick --some GM's may give away a "great player" for him.

If Laine is a very slow bloomer--like Scheifele was, then I'd be wrong, and gladly eat my words- however if we get a really good defenseman for him, we really couldn't go wrong, as we have lot's of goal scorers left.

This has to be done quick though, as Laine's trade value diminishes every game out. Thank God Chevy only signed him for 2 years. This guy is a "limited player" IMO.

Great post BTW -- be interesting to see what other's think

I disagree with pretty much everything you said.
He's gotten better every season he's played.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yup, and at least 4 from guys that have shown their dislike of Laine all these years, and I am not counting GNP who started the poll. It is OK to dislike Laine, nothing wrong on that.

Out of 11 votes, that doesn't leave many honest opinion on the table, but it's "1/3", right.

GNP did not start the poll -- I only made a comment on it. The poster who started the poll was -- johny on the spot. Not that it matters though, as I knew my comment would illicit some passionate feedback, and some great comments, on how the fan base feels about Laine.

I do feel the fanbase is divided or at least "uncertain" how Laine will develop ? I'm one of them.

Funkygroove

Sep 19, 2019

You can look at it that way as well-- but when 1 out of 3 votes tells you they would consider trading Laine -- their not all that confident he will turn out ?? I'm glad I'm not Chipman having to make a decision on this guy ?? although he has 2 years to prove himself--at a "fixed amount of dollars $$"

Notice how "very few" respondents would trade Scheifele --and for good reason --he's a steal at $ 6.5 mil, and a great center ice man.

Its also to be noted that Jets are very strong on top wingers and very weak in top defenders so it would make a lot sense to trade a winger for a d-man, in general. Also, jets have only one high end center, scheifele. And these kind of players are hard to acquire. Also, he is on a great contract. So there is no way in a million years jets would trade their #1 center away.

So what im saying here is, that poll doesnt tell you anything really.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I hope Laine can turn out like him -- but I don't see the skating and stickhandling needed ?? I have serious doubts here ??

Laine could score 15 goals in a month. You don't get a 2nd overall pick too often, I wouldn't trade it away. He has a better attitude than last year. That was my concern.

In 8 years we have drafted 5 of our top 6 forwards. 7 of the top 9. That's building something. You trade at the right time. We did that with Trouba, we had to trade Kane off this team for it to grow. We have some very solid prospects on defense, and some good projects too. The defense we have this year is the transition from a veteran defense to a younger one. 2 of the 6 in the starting lineup were drafted by the organization. Next year that number could be 4 or 5.

There is no need to trade right now. The team doesn't need a shakeup, just a tuneup.

Reactions: RabidOne

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

GNP did not start the poll -- I only made a comment on it. The poster who started the poll was -- johny on the spot. Not that it matters though, as I knew my comment would illicit some passionate feedback, and some great comments, on how the fan base feels about Laine.

I do feel the fanbase is divided or at least "uncertain" how Laine will develop ? I'm one of them.

Oh, sorry, yup it was Johnny. But add him into that number, and there aren't many of those voted that didn't already make their mind pre-draft or at least 17-18 already. These guys were usually yelling that Laine is one dimensional and cannot do anything other than score. Now this season Laine has done everything right besides not scoring goals on his usual, special rate, and the same guys are trading him because of that. I respect their right for their opinions, but I don't think their opinions are worth answering anymore.

People having divided opinions on Laine? Tell me more about that :sarcasm:

That won't change, Laine will always have divided opinions on him, regardless what he does on ice. Well, when he scores, some people disappear, but they will come back when he doesn't. However, most people should get at least that statistically he has been the best Jet or at very least TOP-3 Jet forward this season, depending how do you weight the stats.

I have nothing against you having different opinion on Laine. Just wondering why you think Laine's stickhandling is lacking, as I can't see many on this team handling the puck better than Laine, and in some regards, he is the best puck handler with some ridiculous dangles and quick passes. He has a long stick and for sure in some tight situations Ehlers and Connor are better. Still for example Blake Wheeler has carved a pretty nice career with stone hands (if compared to Laine), so I can't really grasp what you are talking about with that one.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
If Laine is a very slow bloomer--like Scheifele was, then I'd be wrong, and gladly eat my words- however if we get a really good defenseman for him, we really couldn't go wrong, as we have lot's of goal scorers left.

People forget just how young Laine is.

18 YO 73gp 36g 64pts
19 YO 82gp 44g 70pts
20 YO 82gp 30g 50pts
21 YO 22gp 6g 20pts

total: 256gp 116g 204pts

Scheifele

18 YO 7gp 1g 1pts
19 YO 4gp 0g 0pts
20 YO 63gp 13g 34pts
21 YO 82gp 15 49pts

total: 156gp 29g 84pts

I won't bother with the rest of your post... You always have the weirdest takes and get your facts wrong.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Generally my sentiments are in line with @Halberdier 's stances in this topic, thus no needs to rant same things again by me.

Whole Poll is absurd, I wouldn't trade either of them, and considering how Laine has played and utilized, I almost hope that in half-baked thoughts in the max headroom of Paul Maurice would reach to the next logical step in behavioristic dog-training methods and regime of Patty The Playmaker, and start his Center training sessions immediately. Following his logic of utilization, most natural place for Patty's Center training would be defensively oriented 2C/3C with 1C in PP1 squad, defensive responsibilities.

When Laine is "ON", then he could be further cultivated by just swapping him with Scheifele in 1st Line, as I'm sure Chief can play that position too, offensively.

However, what shouldn't ever happen again is the Laine's utilization in the same 5-on-5 with Wheeler. There are simply no chemistry in this pairing, even if Laine would act in role of center with him.

I'm not sure even myself is the idea that ridiculous as it looks, or could there be some potential there. If Laine's new training concentrates into castrating his biggest perk and transforming him something totally else than Goal Scorer he was, then at least it could go to all the way to the logical conclusion. Jere Lehtinen 2.0 scenario doesn't go enough far to the deep end of this dog-training scenario.

With some time, and patience, Jets would've been then likely solved also that persistent lacking-2C problem.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I think you are seeing that it is easier to win with a mediocre defense, and great forwards, than the inverse.

I don't know why we trade for a top d-man. We have Morrissey and Pionk who can get better given their age. Samberg is blue chip. Heinola is going to be great for years to come. You might need another RD, to fill Buff's hole. Niku might fill the offensive side, might not. I think the Jets filled their need for PK help with Sbisa. Might want to upgrade, at some point, but that's the primary area, number one PKer, right side. Ideally someone who can play shutdown minutes. Otherwise keep on developing.

This. You can add a VERY good chance to sign Hamonic for a home town friendly deal in the offseason. I'm not worried about our future defence with Morrissey, Pionk, Heinola, Samberg, Poolman + potentially one or multiple players out of Byfuglien, Hamonic, Beaulieau, Stanley (assuming he's actually good enough after all). I'm also very confident about drafting at least one more top-4 defenseman over the next 2 drafts. Our scouting team has proven that they know what they're doing. I blindly trust them at this point. Also I think the last couple of years have proven that you don't need a star defense to win the cup. Go around and ask Subban, Burns, Karlsson and Hedman. What you do need is a confident goaltender playing at his peek in the playoffs, though. And with the way the team seems to build chemistry and the way they're playing against adversity right now, if you now add the outlook of Hellebuyck having another Vezina level season, ... you never know :naughty:. I think it fits the scheme of "teams ending up winning the cup that you didn't think would do it during the first half of the regular season".

*edit*

and I just realized that I forgot to mention Niku... yeah... I'm not worried for sure.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think you are seeing it's easier to win with a mediocre defense, and great forwards, than the inverse.

Such a very true statement -- with medium level stay at home defensemen, and great forwards, you can still have a "top notch" team.

On the other hand, if you have bad forwards, who can't score, your going to be a bottom dweller of a team --even if you have great defensemen.

You need points to win --obviously. We should always strive to keep our most talented forwards --providing it's affordable.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
3he1fd.jpg

Seriously, it would depend on who's coming back.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Poll should have included Connor as an option. He is a good player with great trade value since he is locked up on a long deal, and we can spare a winger for a bonafide dman.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Really I thought they counted everything ev and st

You have been duped by the “+- is a useless stat as it should only count 5 vs 5 crowd”. +- indeed can never be made worse by playing PK, and never increase on the PP. I think it’s great that if you are scored on while on the PP you get a minus as it’s well deserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad