Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
1st place and lose to Vegas at all = failure
1st place and lost to Nash in 7 = not a failure
Unlucky bounce in 7 games = not a failure
Not going 7 games in a first round loss = failure
Winning the first round and then getting swept because we think we are entitled to the cup = failure

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Go out in the first round and I expect some players to get tweaked but really for the team going forward

1710532379330.png

Reactions: kanadalainen

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Jets havent really separated themselves from the other top team in the West
I think the playoffs this year in the West the teams are so close in par with each other . every team has a chance to make it the cup final
Its down to goaltender and no injuries and everyone putting in 100% effort
We have to face three tough opponents to get through the West
In 2017-18 we have easy time against the Wild in the 1st round slightly harder battle against the Pred in round 2 , then no fight against a new assembled team in Vegas in round 3
We really have to mentally prepared to play three hard series this year to get the cup finals and wait to play golf until July
‘Sightly harder battle’ against the Preds in round two? The Preds were the Presidents trophy winners as top team in the league. They had a really really good team, and it was an extremely hard fought battle for both sides. The Jets came out on top. One could argue that because of how hard fought it was, the Jets used up all of their gas and didn't have much left in the tank. That series was a classic, and I have a hard time believing they only gave a ‘slightly harder battle’ and compete level. They gave it all they had and then some. They literally broke one of the best goalies in the world that series. What more did you want from them?

As for the Vegas series, like I said, we entered it with not much gas left in the tank and ran into a goalie who had a horseshoe rammed way up his ass. I don't think we played bad at all, we just didn't get the bounces, and by that point were a pretty beat up team running on fumes.

Bladerunner62

Mar 16, 2022
Jets havent really separated themselves from the other top team in the West
I think the playoffs this year in the West the teams are so close in par with each other . every team has a chance to make it the cup final
Its down to goaltender and no injuries and everyone putting in 100% effort
We have to face three tough opponents to get through the West
In 2017-18 we have easy time against the Wild in the 1st round slightly harder battle against the Pred in round 2 , then no fight against a new assembled team in Vegas in round 3
We really have to mentally prepared to play three hard series this year to get the cup finals and wait to play golf until July
Slightly harder battle against the preds? It went 7. it was an epic series. #1 and #2 team in the league going at it, and they hated each other. I think the Jets were emotionally spent after this series, plus against Vegas we won the 1st game then Fluery goalied us the rest of the way

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Given that we were expected to be in the wild card battle prior to the season, and that the playoffs are a total luck-driven crapshoot, I don't think this season can be considered a failure due to a first round exit. Any goalie in the league could beat us in four or five, mind you. That includes Hellebuyck.

However... by disregarding pretty much all of our youth and significantly loading up at the deadline, a season ending in an early exit would be a colossal waste of time. If you aren't building, you need to win, win, win.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Given that we were expected to be in the wild card battle prior to the season, and that the playoffs are a total luck-driven crapshoot, I don't think this season can be considered a failure due to a first round exit. Any goalie in the league could beat us in four or five, mind you. That includes Hellebuyck.

However... by disregarding pretty much all of our youth and significantly loading up at the deadline, a season ending in an early exit would be a colossal waste of time. If you aren't building, you need to win, win, win.
yup, no good team has ever won the stanley cup ever, it's just who ever gets the luckiest that tends to win.... we totally disregarded all of the youth and loaded up by keeping all our young players and trading 4-5 picks over the course of 3 years...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
yup, no good team has ever won the stanley cup ever,
Oh, you think so? Wanna elaborate a little? I think you do, because it wasn't me saying that.
it's just who ever gets the luckiest that tends to win....
Spot on.
we totally disregarded all of the youth
Correct.
and loaded up by keeping all our young players
None of which have gotten a sniff of the show this year.
and trading 4-5 picks over the course of 3 years...
You're getting the hang of this now!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If the Jets win the corsi in 4 straight games but are eliminated in 4 games it will be a success.:D
Newsflash there are going to be a few teams disappointed because when 2 good teams play each other somebody is going to lose ... right?
What is the purpose of this thread?
I know this is a discussion board but everyday negativity is being brought up ... besides who can predict the future?
Post this after the first series ... sure if the Jets play like crap we will all be disappointed but if the Jets play great and it was the case of injuries, bad bounces bad calls etc why would any Jet fans be disappointed other than being eliminated.
I like the bouncing boobs discussions better at least they are funny.:laugh:
That's what they all say, those Fancystats Strawmen...

"The real victory is winning the Corsi - therein the true spirit of Lord Stanley lies."
- Garreth of the OHL

"Call me new-fashioned, but I prefer xGs to Gs!"
- Eloping Wild

"PDO is the new black."
- JFretch

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Bones likes vets and Chevy in turn brought in 3 veterans for the stretch run and playoffs, our prospects are years away from cracking the lineup with the exception of Heinola who should make the team next year.

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Bones likes vets and Chevy in turn both in 3 veterans for the stretch run and playoffs, our prospects are years away from cracking the lineup with the exception of Heinola who should make the team next year.
exactly, I don't get how anyone can claim that we are disregarding our prospects because we grabbed some rentals to compete this season, they are not ready yet and if we were actually disregarding them we would have traded them over picks

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
exactly, I don't get how anyone can claim that we are disregarding our prospects because we grabbed some rentals to compete this season, they are not ready yet and if we were actually disregarding them we would have traded them over picks
Some get really excited when they hear certain prospect playing well in the A and think well the jump isn't that big, newsflash it is. Many a player has owned the A and just can't make jump to the NHL, it's even harder from college, juniors and europe. Jets are contending established rentals was the correct move.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I get the the part about just enjoying the journey and the quality of play irrespective of the outcome, but I would vote YES anyway.

With a top 3 goalie in the world, a Norris-level D, the depth we now have on offense and the systems play we have shown at times, we are very unlikely to lose if we play to our potential.

So for me, we lose in an early 7-game series either because we have bad luck (ie, random bad bounces or injuries), or the team doesn't rise to the occasion. Either way I'd be disappointed...but probably survive.

And besides...

It's time for this team to win something big, goddammit!
Exactly.

The Jets have been ~top-5 most of the season.

- HOF level goalie in a Vezina season- where it may be AINEC territory. you really can't waste anymore of Helle's career w/o winning the big one.
- A Norris caliber Dman
- GM that many have in the Jim Gregory Award running
- Coach that many have in Jack Adams running
- Along with moving 1st+2nd+more at the TDL to bolster depth.
- Pre-season hype from stats-based models (ie: Jfresh) having us to be a strong team; as well this very forum's.

Given this sort of season success and personnel group, for any other club a 1st round KO would be laughed at. GM been around for 13 years, like you said time to win something big.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think we'll be a good team going forward as I am heavily convinced Hellebuyck is by far the best goalie in the league and will soon become one of the greatest goaltenders of all time when he retires.

But I would say not considering I didn't think the team would even make the playoffs, let alone get home ice advantage somewhere.

Reactions: KingBogo

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Exactly.

The Jets have been ~top-5 most of the season.

- HOF level goalie in a Vezina season- where it may be AINEC territory. you really can't waste anymore of Helle's career w/o winning the big one.
- A Norris caliber Dman
- GM that many have in the Jim Gregory Award running
- Coach that many have in Jack Adams running
- Along with moving 1st+2nd+more at the TDL to bolster depth.
- Pre-season hype from stats-based models (ie: Jfresh) having us to be a strong team; as well this very forum's.

Given this sort of season success and personnel group, for any other club a 1st round KO would be laughed at. GM been around for 13 years, like you said time to win something big.

Would it be laughed at if they went out to another top 5 team?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
if they get matched up against a top 5 team in round 1 because they keep taking nights off like they’ve done lately … I wouldn’t call it laughable but a frustrating disappointment, yes

Reactions: Jack7222 and hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Good point. Do ppl mock or laugh at the Leaves for losing to Boston or TBL over and over? Maybe laughed at is not the correct term. But considered a disappointment or failure

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
if they get matched up against a top 5 team in round 1 because they keep taking nights off like they’ve done lately … I wouldn’t call it laughable but a frustrating disappointment, yes

They could finish the year 1st in the Central and end up with Vegas in round 1.

Good point. Do ppl mock or laugh at the Leaves for losing to Boston or TBL over and over? Maybe laughed at is not the correct term. But considered a disappointment or failure

I think the Leafs are a unique circumstance. They are mocked because they're the Leafs.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They could finish the year 1st in the Central and end up with Vegas in round 1.

I think the Leafs are a unique circumstance. They are mocked because they're the Leafs.
I still expect them to get by Vegas but earlier in the thread I had a bit of a caveat for them because it’s gonna be hard to compete with a team adding $30 million to their roster in the playoffs. But it’d still be disappointing

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
If they finish 2nd or 3rd they likely play Dallas or Colorado. Is it a failure to lose to one of those 2? Guess that's up to each individual to decide.

Considering most figured they would be a bubble team at best this season, it's been pretty good already, imo.

Reactions: KingBogo

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012

I think you hit the nail on the head . It would feel like a waste of time more than a failure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad