Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Depends on Injuries

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I've only been posting on the boards recently. So here is a comment I made on a YT video after the Jets lost 4-0, at home, to Philly. (Jan 28th 2023)
View attachment 835786
View attachment 835787View attachment 835789
I'm sharing this for a bit of context on how I was feeling at that point in last year's campaign. To highlight what I called correctly and what I've since come to eat crow about. The nature of being the fan of a sports team is a fickle one. Emotions on a never-ending rollercoaster after every contest. (Something I've tried to improve upon for the health of my emotional well-being. Letting go a bit has been helpful)

I knew that group was in trouble of missing the playoffs and sure enough, a 5 game first round exit was the result of limping into the postseason. When Rick Bowness gave his end of season press conference, my thoughts and feelings had never felt more vindicated. When he said he was "disgusted" it took the words out of my mouth.

This isn't because I feel entitled to a long playoff run every year. I don't expect seasonal Cup contention or multiple 10+ game win streaks. All I want to see from the players is the effort I'd expect from myself, if I was blessed enough to play for The Winnipeg Jets.

Now, a regular season is long. You can't expect total effort from every player, every night, over the course of 82 games. That's not excusing collapses like we witnessed last campaign and it doesn't necessarily excuse games like last night. I'd be lying if I said the lack of consistency and good form isn't somewhat concerning this late in the process. Piss poor outings do happen though. Sometimes it's just not in the air that night, for whatever reason. It's up to the coaching staff to analyze what went wrong and make the adjustments. Fine tune everything and have a certain system and mentality drilled in when the real quest begins.

Once the playoffs start, the time for excuses is over. Lapses in concentration will be punished. Lazy effort is unacceptable. A 7 game series won't be a long one if you're not prepared to win at all costs. If you're not prepared to play through pain, to leave every ounce of yourself on the ice, to die for it, then it's not enough. It's a war of attrition and it not only takes a heck of a team to win 16 games, but it takes incredible fortune.

Bias aside, the Jets of 17/18 were one of the best hockey teams I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I believe that team had every component one needs to win a Stanley Cup. Yet they didn't. All it took was running into a red hot goaltender, for lady luck choosing to dance with another. It's proof that you can line up all the pieces, damn near perfection and still come up short in this game.

Which leads me to these Jets. Are they a perfect team? No. Are they 17/18's team? No. Are they last years team? No. Are they good enough to win a Cup? Honestly, probably not. That doesn't mean they can't or won't though. Nor does it mean I lack faith or excitement in them. It's going to take a herculean effort and I think it starts in net. Hellebyuck has to prove how much he wants that Cup he talks about winning. I think he's a fantastic goaltender but I don't think he's played at a truly elite level in any postseason of his career, thus far. If he goes all world, the Jets boast an asset few teams have. From there it'll be up to the boys to commit to the Bones way. If these Jets can regain their stingy defensive form and commit to his system, one I see as suited for playoff hockey, anything is possible.

No matter the outcome, for me it's only a failure if they don't give it their all. It really is that simple. If I can see that they've given it everything they possibly can and they still lose in round 1, so be it. Not saying it won't suck or that I'll like it. W's are wonderful, but they are merely the gravy doused upon a spirited performance. If the Jets don't waste their own time, then they haven't wasted mine.

The organization and GM, that I have been fairly critical of at times, have done what they've needed to do to fix the on ice mess that was threatening to boil over, only one springtime ago. They've trimmed the fat, made key additions and backed the team.

It's up to the boys to do the rest. So long as it's not for lack of trying, then it's ok come what may.

Go Jets Go
I appreciate your candor!
feel Chevy has done a good job but it could just be that this will always be a middling team. Good enough to make the playoffs but not win the cup because they do not have a Mackinnon or Crosby or the lure/ability to circumvent the cap of Vegas of Tbay.

It will also be interesting to where Bowness ends up after this season.

Reactions: Ponds

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure I get the point of threads that serve the purpose of pissing and moaning about something months away. I guess it serves some sort of need? I'm guessing if you compared the responses of those who believed a 1st round loss as a failure would closely match up to those who predicted prior to the season that the Jets were a bubble team or worse. So... far exceeding your original expectations now becomes a predicted failure in an never ending need to be upset about something. Just my little rant, carry on about being upset about some perceived future event.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure I get the point of threads that serve the purpose of pissing and moaning about something months away. I guess it serves some sort of need? I'm guessing if you compared the responses of those who believed a 1st round loss as a failure would closely match up to those who predicted prior to the season that the Jets were a bubble team or worse. So... far exceeding your original expectations now becomes a predicted failure in an never ending need to be upset about something. Just my little rant, carry on about being upset about some perceived future event.
Not sure I get the point of posts that serve the purpose of pissing and moaning about pissing and moaning about something months away. I guess it serves some sort of need?

Hey KingBozo I had Jets top 3 in their division and consider a first round L as a terrible ending to this year. So your assumption is wrong.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure I get the point of posts that serve the purpose of pissing and moaning about pissing and moaning about something months away. I guess it serves some sort of need?

Hey KingBozo I had Jets top 3 in their division and consider a first round L as a terrible ending to this year. So your assumption is wrong.
And you are a single person, not all of HF Jets. And thanks for the childish response.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think this thread is a fine discussion point, and honestly I’m surprised the overwhelming majority of people answered the poll the same way I did. I’m not upset about any perceived future event that may not even happen and I don’t feel the need to always be upset about something.

In 2014-15, I was fine going out in Round 1 but my expectations are a bit higher this time around. This core doesn’t have forever.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And you are a single person, not all of HF Jets. And thanks for the childish response.
60%+ of ppl voted the Jets top 3.
75% ppl voted yes in this thread.

Unfortunately can't see who votes yes in this thread but I'm willing to bet there's more crossover than just me.

& No problem. Thanks for adding nothing to this thread other than more pissy posts and the overall bitching.

Reactions: hn777 and MardyBum

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I didn't vote for any of the choices...

I watch sport for this reason.... nothing is ordained...

Making the playoffs is a success...

The Jets are capable of going well beyond the first round...

They are already a success compared to the last number of season's in my opinion...

I look forward to any future bonuses come as they may...

This season is a win no matter what! We've made very positive strides and done things to improve. There are 32 teams that want to do what we all want to do.
I like the positivity from both of you. I think I would feel the same if I did not see them exceed expectations, go into a tail spin, get out of it and now become team inconsistent.

Reactions: John Agar

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
60%+ of ppl voted the Jets top 3.
75% ppl voted yes in this thread.

Unfortunately can't see who votes yes in this thread but I'm willing to bet there's more crossover than just me.

& No problem. Thanks for adding nothing to this thread other than more pissy posts and the overall bitching.
You are a bit of an ass in most of your responses that I have noticed and not just to me. Not that you don’t make some good points you just don’t need to try and belittle others when you make them.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
We’ve seen the Jets at their best (in December) and at their worst (Vancouver game).

Depends on which team shows up in the playoffs.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I get the the part about just enjoying the journey and the quality of play irrespective of the outcome, but I would vote YES anyway.

With a top 3 goalie in the world, a Norris-level D, the depth we now have on offense and the systems play we have shown at times, we are very unlikely to lose if we play to our potential.

So for me, we lose in an early 7-game series either because we have bad luck (ie, random bad bounces or injuries), or the team doesn't rise to the occasion. Either way I'd be disappointed...but probably survive.

And besides...

It's time for this team to win something big, goddammit!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Thought I'd add to your comment:
FU Vegas

I voted failure but I could accept a first round loss if it is a hard fought 7 game series. Nothing drives me more crazy than a team that folds the tent and has no "pushback"
Yes. The seeming lack of 100% effort is what would drive me nuts. Play your heart out and lose? That’s fine.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You are a bit of an ass in most of your responses that I have noticed and not just to me. Not that you don’t make some good points you just don’t need to try and belittle others when you make them.
Maybe take your own advice. Your OP I responded to was what, a message of uplifting? Anyway still 75% voted yes so your assumption from earlier I bet is still wrong.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I don't always consider it a failure to exit in first round. It can certainly be a crap shoot some years. Just ask the Presidents trophy winners from last season - the Boston Bruins.

However, I voted yes due to the fact that we held onto our 3 UFA's to be, and traded quite a bit of draft capital to bring in some additional good pieces to this team to hopefully go on a nice run.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I appreciate your candor!
feel Chevy has done a good job but it could just be that this will always be a middling team. Good enough to make the playoffs but not win the cup because they do not have a Mackinnon or Crosby or the lure/ability to circumvent the cap of Vegas of Tbay.

It will also be interesting to where Bowness ends up after this season.

I think Bowness ends up wherever he wants to retire to. His contract was 2 years and they haven't been shy about his saying its a short term thing and Arneil being the associate coach.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
We need a deep run but I also have a hard time seeing us getting out of the Central tbh. Our division seems unusually strong this year. I've watched the last couple of Avalanche games and the pace they've been playing at would really push the limits of what our team can handle.

Reactions: hn777

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If the Jets win the corsi in 4 straight games but are eliminated in 4 games it will be a success.:D
Newsflash there are going to be a few teams disappointed because when 2 good teams play each other somebody is going to lose ... right?
What is the purpose of this thread?
I know this is a discussion board but everyday negativity is being brought up ... besides who can predict the future?
Post this after the first series ... sure if the Jets play like crap we will all be disappointed but if the Jets play great and it was the case of injuries, bad bounces bad calls etc why would any Jet fans be disappointed other than being eliminated.
I like the bouncing boobs discussions better at least they are funny.:laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
If my aunt had balls would she be my unlce?

I wonder if the same people who think that losing in the forst round is a failure would be happy if we get completely dominated and win in 7 because helle stands on his head and puts up a .975 save percentage

My guess would be that some would bitch about that, too because we got out xGF%'d or whatever
If we win any series in 7 I and most here would be ecstatic. Regardless of how they go about it. I can guarantee you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad