Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Depends on Injuries

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I wonder if the same people who think that losing in the forst round is a failure would be happy if we get completely dominated and win in 7 because helle stands on his head and puts up a .975 save percentage

My guess would be that some would bitch about that, too because we got out xGF%'d or whatever

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The year we went to the Conference final we played pretty good against Vegas but their goalie stood on his head, bastard .:mad::laugh:

But we didn't show up for the elimination game. I don't believe they really gave it their all. Who knows what might have happened if they did?

Reactions: Bigfish

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
If you say 'the team has been near the top of the division / conference most of the season and has loaded up for the playoffs' that could mean a number of Western Conference teams. The West will have some great playoff hockey. Toss a coin as to who is gonna make it through.

I was not a fan of the Jets being buyers at the deadline during the '18-'19 season. The team started hot, but was running .500 wins and losses since about mid December. Clearly were not a top team. We wasted prospects and picks and lost in the first round, and didn't even show up for the elimination game.

This year, I think Chevy pretty much had to go for it. He made commitments to the players and the team has shown results with just a couple minor hiccups along the way. We have one of the best goaltenders in the world and the core is at peak. If not now, when?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well said. We'd have to get lucky and have a Dallas like young wave come up and take over to keep us competitive post 2025 imo.

I have no clue how we are going to manage the defense especially if we lose a bunch of players over the next two years. Ville can handle one of those spots but I don't see anyone else unless Salmonsson can develop quickly.

Salomonsson is a better bet than Ville at this point, IMO. Though he might take a year longer to arrive. But our right side in 26 could be rookie Salo, 2nd year man Ville on his off side and rookie Lundmark. :laugh: :cry:
The left would be JMo, Snerg and Stanley. :banghead:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder if the same people who think that losing in the forst round is a failure would be happy if we get completely dominated and win in 7 because helle stands on his head and puts up a .975 save percentage

My guess would be that some would bitch about that, too because we got out xGF%'d or whatever

There's always going to be some that bitch.

My problem with your scenario would be only that it is unsustainable. People sometimes seem to look at the goalie as though he is somehow separate from the team. And it goes both ways. We didn't really lose, we just got goalied. Would people react the same way if we had a McDavid and only won because he dominated?

Maybe in the next series the goalie comes back to earth and the skaters get their act together and we win another series. Then in the next one, one player puts the team on his back and wins us another one.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
The year we went to the Conference final we played pretty good against Vegas but their goalie stood on his head, bastard .:mad::laugh:
Thought I'd add to your comment:
FU Vegas

I voted failure but I could accept a first round loss if it is a hard fought 7 game series. Nothing drives me more crazy than a team that folds the tent and has no "pushback"

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah...I think it would be a failure. We've had a mostly good season. That's great...but the playoffs are what really matters. If we lose in the first round I'd almost have preferred to have been a bubble team that just squeaked in to the post season. A hard -fought 7 game series loss would be easier to stomach though for sure. We get swept in round 1 and it's going to be very demoralizing...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That to me is a failure. If we haven't built a team that we think has a realistic chance of beating another team in our division, we have failed IMO. Whether they actually beat them or not is besides the point.
That's just one persons opinion. Realistically this season any one team could beat any other team. In the West no team is truly dominant, nor is any team an easy out. It will come down to goaltending and who heats up at the right time.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
I've only been posting on the boards recently. So here is a comment I made on a YT video after the Jets lost 4-0, at home, to Philly. (Jan 28th 2023)
Screenshot_20240314_120157_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20240314_120211_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240314_120220_YouTube.jpg

I'm sharing this for a bit of context on how I was feeling at that point in last year's campaign. To highlight what I called correctly and what I've since come to eat crow about. The nature of being the fan of a sports team is a fickle one. Emotions on a never-ending rollercoaster after every contest. (Something I've tried to improve upon for the health of my emotional well-being. Letting go a bit has been helpful)

I knew that group was in trouble of missing the playoffs and sure enough, a 5 game first round exit was the result of limping into the postseason. When Rick Bowness gave his end of season press conference, my thoughts and feelings had never felt more vindicated. When he said he was "disgusted" it took the words out of my mouth.

This isn't because I feel entitled to a long playoff run every year. I don't expect seasonal Cup contention or multiple 10+ game win streaks. All I want to see from the players is the effort I'd expect from myself, if I was blessed enough to play for The Winnipeg Jets.

Now, a regular season is long. You can't expect total effort from every player, every night, over the course of 82 games. That's not excusing collapses like we witnessed last campaign and it doesn't necessarily excuse games like last night. I'd be lying if I said the lack of consistency and good form isn't somewhat concerning this late in the process. Piss poor outings do happen though. Sometimes it's just not in the air that night, for whatever reason. It's up to the coaching staff to analyze what went wrong and make the adjustments. Fine tune everything and have a certain system and mentality drilled in when the real quest begins.

Once the playoffs start, the time for excuses is over. Lapses in concentration will be punished. Lazy effort is unacceptable. A 7 game series won't be a long one if you're not prepared to win at all costs. If you're not prepared to play through pain, to leave every ounce of yourself on the ice, to die for it, then it's not enough. It's a war of attrition and it not only takes a heck of a team to win 16 games, but it takes incredible fortune.

Bias aside, the Jets of 17/18 were one of the best hockey teams I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I believe that team had every component one needs to win a Stanley Cup. Yet they didn't. All it took was running into a red hot goaltender, for lady luck choosing to dance with another. It's proof that you can line up all the pieces, damn near perfection and still come up short in this game.

Which leads me to these Jets. Are they a perfect team? No. Are they 17/18's team? No. Are they last years team? No. Are they good enough to win a Cup? Honestly, probably not. That doesn't mean they can't or won't though. Nor does it mean I lack faith or excitement in them. It's going to take a herculean effort and I think it starts in net. Hellebyuck has to prove how much he wants that Cup he talks about winning. I think he's a fantastic goaltender but I don't think he's played at a truly elite level in any postseason of his career, thus far. If he goes all world, the Jets boast an asset few teams have. From there it'll be up to the boys to commit to the Bones way. If these Jets can regain their stingy defensive form and commit to his system, one I see as suited for playoff hockey, anything is possible.

No matter the outcome, for me it's only a failure if they don't give it their all. It really is that simple. If I can see that they've given it everything they possibly can and they still lose in round 1, so be it. Not saying it won't suck or that I'll like it. W's are wonderful, but they are merely the gravy doused upon a spirited performance. If the Jets don't waste their own time, then they haven't wasted mine.

The organization and GM, that I have been fairly critical of at times, have done what they've needed to do to fix the on ice mess that was threatening to boil over, only one springtime ago. They've trimmed the fat, made key additions and backed the team.

It's up to the boys to do the rest. So long as it's not for lack of trying, then it's ok come what may.

Go Jets Go

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
While this team has been great at times, they just lack that extra gear to fully dominate when they need to. Too often they struggle to generate consistent offensive chances.

I’m hopeful but ultimately I fear the same old Jets will appear and rear it’s ugly uneven performances of playoffs past.

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Have the Jets ever gone out of the playoffs with a fight? I guess they battled hard to get back into the Blues series before folding in game 6? I feel like I’m not conditioned to know how to respond to well-fought series loss? :laugh:
I would say they did against Vegas but that series was never "in the cards".:cool:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

There will always be some that are unhappy no matter what. Jets could win the cup and some people would be upset that their fancy stats weren't good enough.

Personally winning is winning, so if Helle steals a series, he's part of the team, I'm good with it. I'd love it if Helle went on one of those all-time tears like Roy in '86 or Thomas in '11 and single-handedly wins the Cup for us.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I would certainly be disappointed if the Jets bow out in the first round, but -- like any hero's death in a melodrama -- it depends how they go down fighting. I'm aware that the team probably doesn't have the juice to win the Cup and I'm aware that I likely won't be here for next year's playoffs. So of course I'd like to see the team goes as far as they can.

Since only 8 teams make it past the first round, if the Jets make an early exit it won't mean the season was a failure for me. Given their regular season record, the changes in personnel, the improvements in the way the team has played and -- most of all -- the entertainment they've provided for me, I'm already calling this season a success.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I didn't vote for any of the choices...

I watch sport for this reason.... nothing is ordained...

Making the playoffs is a success...

The Jets are capable of going well beyond the first round...

They are already a success compared to the last number of season's in my opinion...

I look forward to any future bonuses come as they may...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
To me it depends on how they would go out and to whom. It would be disappointing but I'm not going to say it's a disappointment without it actually happening first.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I voted no because I think it's not unlikely if we play either Dallas Col Vegas.

I don't see this team going far but here's hoping.

Reactions: Ponds

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Jets havent really separated themselves from the other top team in the West
I think the playoffs this year in the West the teams are so close in par with each other . every team has a chance to make it the cup final
Its down to goaltender and no injuries and everyone putting in 100% effort
We have to face three tough opponents to get through the West
In 2017-18 we have easy time against the Wild in the 1st round slightly harder battle against the Pred in round 2 , then no fight against a new assembled team in Vegas in round 3
We really have to mentally prepared to play three hard series this year to get the cup finals and wait to play golf until July

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've only been posting on the boards recently. So here is a comment I made on a YT video after the Jets lost 4-0, at home, to Philly. (Jan 28th 2023)
View attachment 835786
View attachment 835787View attachment 835789
I'm sharing this for a bit of context on how I was feeling at that point in last year's campaign. To highlight what I called correctly and what I've since come to eat crow about. The nature of being the fan of a sports team is a fickle one. Emotions on a never-ending rollercoaster after every contest. (Something I've tried to improve upon for the health of my emotional well-being. Letting go a bit has been helpful)

I knew that group was in trouble of missing the playoffs and sure enough, a 5 game first round exit was the result of limping into the postseason. When Rick Bowness gave his end of season press conference, my thoughts and feelings had never felt more vindicated. When he said he was "disgusted" it took the words out of my mouth.

This isn't because I feel entitled to a long playoff run every year. I don't expect seasonal Cup contention or multiple 10+ game win streaks. All I want to see from the players is the effort I'd expect from myself, if I was blessed enough to play for The Winnipeg Jets.

Now, a regular season is long. You can't expect total effort from every player, every night, over the course of 82 games. That's not excusing collapses like we witnessed last campaign and it doesn't necessarily excuse games like last night. I'd be lying if I said the lack of consistency and good form isn't somewhat concerning this late in the process. Piss poor outings do happen though. Sometimes it's just not in the air that night, for whatever reason. It's up to the coaching staff to analyze what went wrong and make the adjustments. Fine tune everything and have a certain system and mentality drilled in when the real quest begins.

Once the playoffs start, the time for excuses is over. Lapses in concentration will be punished. Lazy effort is unacceptable. A 7 game series won't be a long one if you're not prepared to win at all costs. If you're not prepared to play through pain, to leave every ounce of yourself on the ice, to die for it, then it's not enough. It's a war of attrition and it not only takes a heck of a team to win 16 games, but it takes incredible fortune.

Bias aside, the Jets of 17/18 were one of the best hockey teams I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I believe that team had every component one needs to win a Stanley Cup. Yet they didn't. All it took was running into a red hot goaltender, for lady luck choosing to dance with another. It's proof that you can line up all the pieces, damn near perfection and still come up short in this game.

Which leads me to these Jets. Are they a perfect team? No. Are they 17/18's team? No. Are they last years team? No. Are they good enough to win a Cup? Honestly, probably not. That doesn't mean they can't or won't though. Nor does it mean I lack faith or excitement in them. It's going to take a herculean effort and I think it starts in net. Hellebyuck has to prove how much he wants that Cup he talks about winning. I think he's a fantastic goaltender but I don't think he's played at a truly elite level in any postseason of his career, thus far. If he goes all world, the Jets boast an asset few teams have. From there it'll be up to the boys to commit to the Bones way. If these Jets can regain their stingy defensive form and commit to his system, one I see as suited for playoff hockey, anything is possible.

No matter the outcome, for me it's only a failure if they don't give it their all. It really is that simple. If I can see that they've given it everything they possibly can and they still lose in round 1, so be it. Not saying it won't suck or that I'll like it. W's are wonderful, but they are merely the gravy doused upon a spirited performance. If the Jets don't waste their own time, then they haven't wasted mine.

The organization and GM, that I have been fairly critical of at times, have done what they've needed to do to fix the on ice mess that was threatening to boil over, only one springtime ago. They've trimmed the fat, made key additions and backed the team.

It's up to the boys to do the rest. So long as it's not for lack of trying, then it's ok come what may.

Go Jets Go

Good post, if long. :laugh:

:thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: Ponds

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Despite our regression since the ASB, the team has still shown games that it has what it takes. A little more consistency, a little less injury, and a helping of give-a-shit against top teams will have me believe we could beat anyone in a series.

I'm hoping for some excitement instead of the same limp disappointment of the past 5 years.

Reactions: Ponds and Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad