Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Depends on how many games series goes

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Depends on Injuries

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
The Jets have no officially reverted to team inconsistent. This is reminiscent of the Claude Noel years to me. They are good some nights, great others and horribad typically against playoff teams (4-8 since Christmas).

The fact is the Central is a beast of a division with Dallas and Colorado being the teams to beat and with Nashville on a major heater

The West with Vegas, Edmonton, Vancouver and even LA is also akin to baseballs version of murderers row.

There is no easy route to the WCF but would a Jets first round exit be a failure? I think it would be given the assets given up to augment this line up for the playoff push and there would be significant changes

Reactions: Ponds

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Yes it would be a failure. The team has been a top team most of the year and spent a first and other assets to load up. The org clearly wants to go for a cup and anything less then a conference final appearance is a failure imo.
We are on the same page. Are you preparing for a 1st round exit?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It is not just the assets spent on augmenting the roster. It is also the commitments to Helle and Scheif. Of the 8 years committed to them, this is the one most likely to be the best shot. Odds get worse each following year as they age. That doesn't mean that it couldn't all come together next year or the year after. There are a lot of factors involved, like the competition, the other players who come and go, etc. But the odds are better in those 2 players' 30 YO seasons than in their 31 YO seasons which are better than their 32 YO seasons.

That said, my 'YES' vote could be modified by circumstances. Injuries, opponents, etc. A 7 game series against the eventual Cup winner that ends in triple OT is easier to swallow than a 5-6 game one where the Jets don't show up for the elimination game.

In other words, I reserve the right to contradict myself. :laugh:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Yes it would be a failure. The team has been a top team most of the year and spent a first and other assets to load up. The org clearly wants to go for a cup and anything less then a conference final appearance is a failure imo.

100% this.

Chevy shocked the league by signing the two cornerstone pieces of the team to long-term deals. This team has spent considerable stretches of the season at or near the top of the division. They loaded up at the deadline and even though they didn't sacrifice a ton, they were clearly taking a "WIN NOW" approach to things.

The window is as open as it's ever going to get. Yeah I get the competition is stiff, but that's the case every year. A first round exit would mean a failed season and disappointment for a core that is starting to run out of chances. I'm not saying it's cup or bust, but there has to be some progress. I would say anything short of the third round would be a disappointment, but losing in the first round is an undeniable failure.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
What is a salient consideration in how one sums up an entire season's success or failure?

My definition of failure would be the Jets not meeting my expectation of a tough divisional battle with "typical" December 2023-style dominant team defence and outstanding goaltending. If either of those two criterion fall apart, then yes, that would be difficult to swallow. If they played exceptionally well and then lost to a superior team, then my disappointment would be still there, but modulated.

Bottom line, winning hockey games sometimes requires luck. Hockey can be chaotic. Without bounces and some luck, then the result can go south without much to show for some excellent play.

I expect that this team will do very well in the first round.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We've had a season that's kept us in the top 10 teams in the league throughout, if not top 5. That's a success to me

Normally, I'd put more importance on playoff success (since that's the whole point) but the way the standings are shaping up in the west, every series is gonna be a battle and there are no "easy outs".

If we draw Dallas or Colorado in the first round, both are quality teams and there's no shame losing to either one

If they do lose in the first round, I'm more concerned about how it happens than whether or not it happens (ie did they play their hearts out and get beaten by a team that was just better or did they lay an egg)

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
obviously it would be a failure if we don't make it out of the 1st round, you keep bringing up our record against playoff teams but ignore that we had a winning record before jan 1st.. ignoring that we were missing a few guys who will be in our top 6 for a lot of those games as well... this team needs to be able to roll 4 lines to compete with the best

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I voted on depends on who they play.

If it's a long drawn out series like against Nashville a few seasons ago, I'd say no.

If it was like the few stinker playoff series they had in seasons past, then yes.

Irregardless, I'm putting my expectations to be as low as possible. For a few different reasons which are off topic for this poll.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
We've had a season that's kept us in the top 10 teams in the league throughout, if not top 5. That's a success to me

Normally, I'd put more importance on playoff success (since that's the whole point) but the way the standings are shaping up in the west, every series is gonna be a battle and there are no "easy outs".

If we draw Dallas or Colorado in the first round, both are quality teams and there's no shame losing to either one

If they do lose in the first round, I'm more concerned about how it happens than whether or not it happens (ie did they play their hearts out and get beaten by a team that was just better or did they lay an egg)
Very well said it does come down to was it a whimper or a bang. My fear is it will be a whimper

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Very well said it does come down to was it a whimper or a bang. My fear is it will be a whimper
Have the Jets ever gone out of the playoffs with a fight? I guess they battled hard to get back into the Blues series before folding in game 6? I feel like I’m not conditioned to know how to respond to well-fought series loss? :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
At first I want to say "yes" because , well, that's how fans react... But, when you look at it, there are going to be 8 really , really, good teams that are going to be golfing after the first round, and that's nothing to freak out about. Someone has to lose, and because we have 32 teams , they are going to be good teams.

So it depends.

Dallas - don't think we can beat them nor do I expect to, so no disappointment there.
Colorado - beat them both games so far, so I would expect to do better against them, but won't be disappointed to lose to them.
Nashville - just hate them, so disappointment if we lose
Vegas - Ditto to Nashville
Anyone else in the first round, disappointed.

But, yeah it would be nice to get to at least the 2nd round.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
These playoffs are gonna be tough but i will not be disappointed unless we play like we don't give a f*** . If we battle hard every game and lose 4-0 in the first round then we got beat by a better team, it is what it is. I just want to see everyone give 100% every shift and i think if we do we could have a very good playoffs.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
That to me is a failure. If we haven't built a team that we think has a realistic chance of beating another team in our division, we have failed IMO. Whether they actually beat them or not is besides the point.
jungles, I have to agree. Is this team going for the Cup or not? If we are content with losing to Dallas in the 1st round then what are we doing here? Did we really trade for Monahan, Toffoli, and Miller with the goal of making it to round 1 and losing?

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Have the Jets ever gone out of the playoffs with a fight? I guess they battled hard to get back into the Blues series before folding in game 6? I feel like I’m not conditioned to know how to respond to well-fought series loss? :laugh:
The year we went to the Conference final we played pretty good against Vegas but their goalie stood on his head, bastard .:mad::laugh:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
jungles, I have to agree. Is this team going for the Cup or not? If we are content with losing to Dallas in the 1st round then what are we doing here? Did we really trade for Monahan, Toffoli, and Miller with the goal of making it to round 1 and losing?
Think the Jets goal is winning the Cup but it's not easy to do, you have to have everything come together. Chevy and Chipman spent the money to try and win a Cup absolutely.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Think the Jets goal is winning the Cup but it's not easy to do, you have to have everything come together. Chevy and Chipman spent the money to try and win a Cup absolutely.
Yes, so going out in Round 1 because we happened to get matched up against Dallas (which could happen if we continue to play inconsistently down the stretch like we have) would be a failure imo.

Don’t want to play Dallas? Play better in these upcoming games.

As a caveat, I’d have more patience if they lose to Vegas, surprisingly. I’d still consider the season a failure if they lose to Vegas in Round 1, but it’s gonna be hard to compete with a team adding $30 million (or whatever it is) to their roster in time for Game 1.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
It seems to me that the Jets tend to play gutless elimination games. The way I remember in infamous 2018 Vegas series, is the team played a hard series, but Helle was subpar and was handily outplayed by Fleury.

As you said, crumpled like single-ply toilet paper in game 6 in 2019. I don't remember them being great before that but at least it was 6 games not a sweeping or 5 game exit.

2020 were hot garbage vs. the flames.

2021 swept Edmonton, then played a garbage series versus Montreal.

2023 more hot garbage vs. Vegas.

So, by my analysis, Jets have gone down without a fight in every playoff series they lost except Vegas in 2018 (with the exception of game 5) and Blues in 2019 (with the exception of game 6).

Love the Jets but this is very frustrating and depressing. 2018 was very fun until game 5 versus Vegas though.

Having catalogued the above, if Jets lose in Round 1, but they at least put up a legit fight (6 or 7 games, and the elimination game is a hard fought down-to-the-wire game) I'd consider that positive progress so not a failure season.

If they once again serve up a performance like everything since 2019, I'd consider it a failure.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It's not easy, but I don't think this org can settle for moral victories any longer. That has been what management has been doing for half a decade now.

This group has only made it out of round 1 twice in the past 6 years, at some point it can't be seen as just good enough to make it in and bow out in round 1.

Also you damn well bet thar there is pressure from ownership to go on a run to make up the lost ticket revenue, and to spearhead season seat sales.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
See it doesn't matter to me if they play well and lose in round one. That is still a failure.

This team has wanted to take that next step since 2018. We are running out of time with this core. If not now then when?

Here's a different question.

Last off-season made it clear that, right or wrong, TNSE does not want to go through a rebuild. So they recommitted to the existing core. They coached it to play a more reliable style of game. Then they augmented that core.

We can see the potential/probable loss of quite a few players. Keeping them, or some of them might well be dependent on a good PO run.

If we don't get that good PO run, has TNSE put itself in a position where an on the fly retool is no longer an option?

Lets say we lose Dillon, DeMelo and Miller on D and Monahan and Toffoli up front. Also Brossoit moves on to try for a starter's job. We might end up with a lot of inexperienced players next year. Meanwhile the vets are aging. Ehlers would be entering his pending UFA year and Connor would be one year closer to the same. Schmidt and Pionk would be entering that last contract year too.

We might be able to deal with the F corps from our prospect pool but we would need to replace 3 Dmen for next year and 2 more the year after. We don't have that many D prospects that have shown NHL potential.

Just about when the F prospects have gained enough experience to be competitive age is catching up to Scheifele and Lowry.

I'm guessing that a good PO run helps us hold it together for a couple of more years leading to a more orderly integration of the young players as they are ready. But a quick, soft exit doesn't encourage extensions, either from the players' POV or the team's.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here's a different question.

Last off-season made it clear that, right or wrong, TNSE does not want to go through a rebuild. So they recommitted to the existing core. They coached it to play a more reliable style of game. Then they augmented that core.

We can see the potential/probable loss of quite a few players. Keeping them, or some of them might well be dependent on a good PO run.

If we don't get that good PO run, has TNSE put itself in a position where an on the fly retool is no longer an option?

Lets say we lose Dillon, DeMelo and Miller on D and Monahan and Toffoli up front. Also Brossoit moves on to try for a starter's job. We might end up with a lot of inexperienced players next year. Meanwhile the vets are aging. Ehlers would be entering his pending UFA year and Connor would be one year closer to the same. Schmidt and Pionk would be entering that last contract year too.

We might be able to deal with the F corps from our prospect pool but we would need to replace 3 Dmen for next year and 2 more the year after. We don't have that many D prospects that have shown NHL potential.

Just about when the F prospects have gained enough experience to be competitive age is catching up to Scheifele and Lowry.

I'm guessing that a good PO run helps us hold it together for a couple of more years leading to a more orderly integration of the young players as they are ready. But a quick soft exit doesn't encourage extensions, either from the players' POV or the team's.

Well said. We'd have to get lucky and have a Dallas like young wave come up and take over to keep us competitive post 2025 imo.

I have no clue how we are going to manage the defense especially if we lose a bunch of players over the next two years. Ville can handle one of those spots but I don't see anyone else unless Salmonsson can develop quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad