Would the Devils consider trading Schneider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yes. Bring in a veteran to play 20 or 25 games as a backup. Expectations are low so I don't what the big deal is. Schneider had a .935 save percentage and they couldn't even sniff the playoffs. Who cares at this point? It's about building the team going forward.

How better to build a team going forward than with a top 10 goalie in the league?

Is there a more important benchmark for team improvement than winning? Schneider gives you a better chance to win.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
and you two would be the first to ***** after Kinkaid proves he was not a starting NHL caliber goalie, I guarantee it.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
and you two would be the first to ***** after Kinkaid proves he was not a starting NHL caliber goalie, I guarantee it.

Why would I? If he fails, the higher pick they would garner. Kinkaid fails the audition and the devils receive the #3 overall selection in the 2016 draft.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
How better to build a team going forward than with a top 10 goalie in the league?

Is there a more important benchmark for team improvement than winning? Schneider gives you a better chance to win.

What are we winning? Explain.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

If you really knew me you'd know that couldn't be more false.

I defended (not here) keeping DeBoer for last season and that turned out to be a disaster. I always call it like I see it and have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
What are we winning? Explain.

Games. The more games you win, the greater your chance of making the playoffs. You want to make the playoffs, as it's the only route to a championship.

It seems like your logic is win the cup or pick first overall. It doesn't work like that.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Games. The more games you win, the greater your chance of making the playoffs. You want to make the playoffs, as it's the only route to a championship.

It seems like your logic is win the cup or pick first overall. It doesn't work like that.

You need the horses to win. Without the horses, I'm not interested in placebos. That's where I'm coming from.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

So the better the goalie you have that's the only way to win games? Didn't Cory last year prove that isn't the only route? You need offense, defense, special teams, and goaltending.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
So the better the goalie you have that's the only way to win games? Didn't Cory last year prove that isn't the only route? You need offense, defense, special teams, and goaltending.

I don't see where I said goaltending was the only way to win games.

Cory Schneider gives you a better chance to win than Keith Kinkaid. Do you disagree?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I don't think that they can publicly say this, but I suspect more think like this than you would expect.

So what do you do?

"Hey Corey, I know this is the first year of the long-term contract we signed you to, but we changed our minds."

Really? Probably does some damage to future contract negotiations.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I don't see where I said goaltending was the only way to win games.

Cory Schneider gives you a better chance to win than Keith Kinkaid. Do you disagree?

I thought you were referring to goaltending being the only route to winning. Yes I agree that CS gives us a better chance than KK, but Jayden Schwartz gives us a better chance than Jordin Tootoo. You can't look at things in a vaccum like that. We're all searching for the best overall team.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
i also think those in the trade-Cory-to-maximize-assets camp are wildly underrating the correlation between having a rock in net and developing young defensemen.

cory backstops the young D and provides stability so they can focus on developing their "tools." having a top-5 goalie behind a first or second year defenseman can do wonders for his confidence and development.

cory is about as essential to this team as any player is, really. i can't understand why some people don't/can't/won't grasp this.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I thought you were referring to goaltending being the only route to winning. Yes I agree that CS gives us a better chance than KK, but Jayden Schwartz gives us a better chance than Jordin Tootoo. You can't look at things in a vaccum like that. We're all searching for the best overall team.

I would rather have an elite goaltender and below-average forwards than a below-average goaltender and above-average forwards.

Evidently, so would Lou Lamoriello.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I would rather have an elite goaltender and below-average forwards than a below-average goaltender and above-average forwards.

Evidently, so would Lou Lamoriello.

I would rather play in the other team's zone. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Is the point of these discussions to echo what management is doing or to give our opinion of what's best for the Devils?

It's certainly a factor but we don't have to agree with it. If the devils want to build from the net out and finish in the lottery yet again, that's their prerogative. The proof is in the pudding. The results and goal differential speak for themselves. The detractors have to say very little when the empirical date speaks volumes.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It's certainly a factor but we don't have to agree with it. If the devils want to build from the net out and finish in the lottery yet again, that's their prerogative. The proof is in the pudding. The results and goal differential speak for themselves.

and if we built from the forwards in, we'd have a situation much like edmonton's. and we'd still be in the lottery.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i also think those in the trade-Cory-to-maximize-assets camp are wildly underrating the correlation between having a rock in net and developing young defensemen.

cory backstops the young D and provides stability so they can focus on developing their "tools." having a top-5 goalie behind a first or second year defenseman can do wonders for his confidence and development.

cory is about as essential to this team as any player is, really. i can't understand why some people don't/can't/won't grasp this.

It gets ignored cause people get myopic about improving the offense at all costs.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
It gets ignored cause people get myopic about improving the offense at all costs.

I wouldn't trade any of our young players who haven't reached free agency yet. Trading Schneider at this stage of his career however could not be characterized as myopic.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wouldn't trade any of our young players who haven't reached free agency yet. Trading Schneider at this stage of his career however could not be characterized as myopic.

You ignored his core point, which is Cory being as good as he is helps the development of our young defense, which would have insane +/- do to their learning curve with an average goalie in net.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
It's certainly a factor but we don't have to agree with it. If the devils want to build from the net out and finish in the lottery yet again, that's their prerogative. The proof is in the pudding. The results and goal differential speak for themselves. The detractors have to say very little when the empirical date speaks volumes.

I'm with you. 10-15 years ago I might have disagreed, but the speed and skill of the good teams nowadays is light years above what we have right now. And I'm not sure why people think we are asking the team to simply abandon defense and goaltending. Nobody is saying that. In a limited sample size Kinkaid looked to be a perfectly legitimate goalie. We aren't getting where we want to go by trading Gelinas and a 2nd rounder. This draft will hopefully help but offensively this team could still be years away from being acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad