Worst Goaltender Interference Call in History- CGY/EDM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It is what it is. Tough break for the oilers, but I think the refs made the right call. Don't blame oilers fans in the slightest for being upset, but I still think the refs got the call right this time.

The issue isn't that 'by the absolute letter of the law' that goal is goalie interference. If you want to nitpick, sure, it could be. It's that they let much, much worse goalie interference slide without a whisper.

If a cop sprints straight past a triple murder in progress to hand you a jaywalking ticket because you ran into the street to escape the killer, you'd probably be a little irritable.

Reactions: 29GoalHoglund

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I love that the **** head refs actually doubled down and tacked on a meaningless penalty after the game had already been decided. It clearly demonstrates they knew they were in the wrong but refused to take responsibility.

Sadly, that gets you a promotion in this league, and not a firing... but now their dirty secret is out and all players and coaches will know forever more never to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers4life5

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The issue isn't that 'by the absolute letter of the law' that goal is goalie interference. If you want to nitpick, sure, it could be. It's that they let much, much worse goalie interference slide without a whisper.

If a cop sprints straight past a triple murder in progress to hand you a jaywalking ticket because you ran into the street to escape the killer, you'd probably be a little irritable.
The letter of the law this is a good goal. Any time a goalie has time to completely reset by the letter of the law it should count.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

I mean, if you want to make the argument that goalie interference calls are wildly inconsistent, then you'll get no disagreement from me.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I even turned the game off after that goal because I thought there was no chance in hell it would get overturned. Ended up missing the shootout because of it.

Just puzzling. And I say that as someone who's team could (and should) have benefited by the call.

I'm mad at that call despite the fact that it went in my teams favour. Just baffling

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Ha great timing for this! Imagine that was playoffs?! The league needs to officially set things straight before the regular season finishes.

What a terrible call... was his foot even in the crease?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Due to the precedent the league as set, the right call was made. However they really need to make it black and white what is acceptable and unacceptable.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Ha great timing for this! Imagine that was playoffs?! The league needs to officially set things straight before the regular season finishes.

What a terrible call... was his foot even in the crease?

Does the crease start at the blueline?then yes.

Flames goalie had time to stand back up and make a play on Strome's shot.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I honestly don't understand how people can agree with that call. Downright brutal call.
I thought it was a good goal at first too until I saw the overhead footage. After that I was 90% sure it was going to be overturned because I’ve seen similar goals like that overturned. Most people may hate the call, but it’s consistent with what I’ve seen.

Reactions: HansonBro

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3