World Junior Ice Hockey Championships Tue, Dec 26, 2023 – Fri, Jan 5, 2024

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Smith is a bust. He went a period against Norway without any primary points because those are the only ones that matter.
He's just saving it for the medal rounds.

I honestly don't get why people act like saying Will Smith is the 3rd best player on this best line in college hockey (and hopefully the WJC) is some massive insult that makes you a hater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
It's interesting that you guys are all saying that but it sounds like his shl season is a mixed bag.
He is playing in a men’s league abut being compared to players point totals who bc are still in juniors or playing in college. He is a 2 way middle 6 C who is not going to put up 70 pts in the NHL but could put up 50 points as a defensively responsible center.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's interesting that you guys are all saying that but it sounds like his shl season is a mixed bag.
He’s always good internationally and against his own age group, so I’m not surprised at all. He’s one of the oldest players at the tourney, bigger than most, and playing on a stacked team. He should be looking good.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He is playing in a men’s league abut being compared to players point totals who bc are still in juniors or playing in college. He is a 2 way middle 6 C who is not going to put up 70 pts in the NHL but could put up 50 points as a defensively responsible center.
sure ill take one joel eriksom-ek type player, heck, ill take two of them if avaialable!

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
He’s always good internationally and against his own age group, so I’m not surprised at all. He’s one of the oldest players at the tourney, bigger than most, and playing on a stacked team. He should be looking good.
I remember he impressed in the international tournament last year too. He seems like a safe bet to be a useful two way center. I think his most likely outcome is becoming a high end 3rd line center but I could see a version of him where he is a second line center who's defensive contributions allow his line-mates to excel offensively while being the responsible one on the line.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I remember he impressed in the international tournament last year too. He seems like a safe bet to be a useful two way center. I think his most likely outcome is becoming a high end 3rd line center but I could see a version of him where he is a second line center who's defensive contributions allow his line-mates to excel offensively while being the responsible one on the line
If Smith does move to wing I could see Bystedt centering Eklund and Smith.

Hertl - Celebrini - Musty
Eklund - Bystedt - Smith

That’s a nice looking top 6.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
If Smith does move to wing I could see Bystedt centering Eklund and Smith.

Hertl - Celebrini - Musty
Eklund - Bystedt - Smith

That’s a nice looking top 6.
I feel like moving Smith to wing gives up a lot of his playmaking value. There are definitely good playmaking wingers but I don't think that really matches his game.

Hopefully they are either able to trade him to a team that values him as a top 5 pick or the Sharks have the ability to allow him to adjust into becoming a Dylan Strome type player.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think a line of Eklund, Hertl, and Smith would work. Whether you want to call Hertl or Smith the centre wouldn't be a huge deal, I think Hertl would just need to sit near the net and clean up rebounds/screen/tip while the others worked their magic.

If we're lucky enough to get Celebrini:
Eklund-Hertl-Smith
Couture-Celebrini-Zetterlund

Is a solid top 6. Then you hope Bystedt, Lund, etc. etc. can turn into some depth guys to rotate around the bottom 6, and Musty can become the Couture replacement on that 2nd line.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Well I doubt that is going to happen considering they valued him as a top 5 pick in a very strong draft.
After he put up a ton of points in the U-18s and NTDP after being considered a mid to late first round prospect. Looks like he has regressed a bit to the mean, and doubt he doesn't top 5 if the draft happened today.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
After he put up a ton of points in the U-18s and NTDP after being considered a mid to late first round prospect. Looks like he has regressed a bit to the mean, and doubt he doesn't top 5 if the draft happened today.
How has he regressed exactly? He is top 10 in NCAA scoring in his rookie season. He is the 4th youngest in the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad